Print Story IP THEFT ALERT
By Phil the Canuck (Thu May 07, 2009 at 09:43:37 AM EST) (all tags)
What got stolen.

It seems that an organization in Los Angeles stole our website.  All the pages, our logo, you name it.  I was amused, and since Webby designed it all from the ground up he's quite flattered.  Of course our money-raiser types, who discovered the offending site, saw no humor at all in the event.  Instead, they freaked out thinking there was some sort of massive security breach of our network.

You have to understand, now, that since these people think they are the most important thing going, they don't mess around with contacting me or Webby or Mr. Angry.  They go straight to The Boss.  What does The Boss do?  He asks me to investigate how deep the security breach was and figure out how we can prevent it in the future.

What?

I point out that the website is publicly available, that in fact that is the point of having a website, and anyone can take a copy whenever they want.

"Well I used to do some work on websites and you could mark stuff as read-only."

What?

I point out that it's all read-only, but that this allows people to take a copy.  That this is, on a basic level, how websites work.  He finally agreed that it wasn't a security issue.

The problem now is that by agreeing with the money-raiser types that there may have been a security issue, he's worked them up into a lather over the whole event.  No amount of explaining will satisfy them.  They just want it all fixed.

Now their host is perfectly willing to yank the site with a trivial amount of work on our part, but The Boss chimed in with his We're Not Responsible For This mantra and told me to drop it.  So the copied website is still up.  Whoever is running it appears to slowly be customizing things to match their organization.

This all drives me insane.  On the one hand, The Boss pays lip service to going the extra mile.  On the other, he tells me not to do something that should arguably be our job.

Now he's stumbled in and decided to have a staff meeting.  I guess the reults of his supervisor review came in.  It seems the punishment is to put us through more meaningless crap.
< 8:54 | economic anecdote >
IP THEFT ALERT | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 7) #1 Thu May 07, 2009 at 09:45:09 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

You stole my comment! by ad hoc (4.00 / 3) #4 Thu May 07, 2009 at 10:10:14 AM EST

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu May 07, 2009 at 01:07:09 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

You should have made it read=only! by duxup (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu May 07, 2009 at 05:31:23 PM EST
n/t

____
I once worked for a consulting firm by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu May 07, 2009 at 10:05:36 AM EST
One of the guys was involved with some MLM (Multi-Level-Marketing) deal. Apparently there was a dust up with the folks up the food chain from him so he pulled all the business info (products, client info, etc.) off the web site and got busy going solo.

Then he sent out an email basically asking how, should he put all this stuff on a web site, could he prevent someone else from doing the same thing to him.

The thing I was surprised is how many of the other consultants were suggesting this or that technological workaround to defeat the primary purpose of web site, to share information.

Cicero, The Republic
Make something up by duxup (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu May 07, 2009 at 10:08:05 AM EST
"We made the site read only!"

*sigh*

____
Clearly by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 5) #5 Thu May 07, 2009 at 10:14:01 AM EST
You should have made the site write only.

You're in America now. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu May 07, 2009 at 10:35:33 AM EST
Time to Lawyer Up, cowboy.

Theoretically by Herring (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu May 07, 2009 at 11:05:50 AM EST
I suppose it would be possible to pick up the User Agent, and if it's wget (assuming that they haven't overridden it) then return a copy of a completely different website. It might be funny for about 30 seconds.

More practically though, don't you have control over DNS provision? Couldn't you just (even if it means adding an entry in hosts) make it so the money-raisers can't see the infringing site?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Sure I could by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu May 07, 2009 at 01:26:29 PM EST
But they saw it before I knew it existed.

IP THEFT ALERT | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback