Print Story Stuff Inside
By jimgon (Mon May 04, 2009 at 09:40:47 PM EST) (all tags)
Stuff

More stuff.

Today my boss invited me to a meeting in which the IT execs were talking about strategies on how to do two projects by the end of the year.  The CIO came out and said we do it by the end of the year or there will be layoffs.  I probably wasn't the best person to invite.  One, I don't work for IT anymore and I'm not that interested in their financial problems.  Two, I don' t believe we could accomplish one of the two before the year's end, never mind both.  I've looked at one of the two and given the considerations of the availability of resources and the amount of work that's likely a February 1 implementation is likely right.  By end of year?  Not a chance in hell.  Better to accept the layoffs now and plan for it, rather than have to do it later when these projects fail.  The CIO didn't leave room for discussion on getting them done by year's end, so go back to my comment that I shouldn't have been there.  I don't believe it can be done and he'll need someone who does and can think creatively on it.  That's not me.   I'm a realist.

The other thing that happened today is that my dog had a vet appointment.  His leg has been bothering him.  The vet said he has a torn tendon.  She gave a few things to do and then it's time.  Six to eight weeks to heal.  If it doesn't then it would be $3,000 for a tendon operation.  Sad to say, but I'm not spending $3k on a dog.  I like my dog, but I'm not going to spend $3k on a dog.  Yes, I'm a horrible beast.
< Fun-flu-tainment | Moroccan Style Lamb shanks >
Stuff Inside | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good luck to your puppy by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue May 05, 2009 at 07:20:53 PM EST

Don't tell him there's a price limit, though. Puppies are easily demotivated by financial limitations on their life span.

Adulthood by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue May 05, 2009 at 08:10:34 PM EST
You get to make the fun decisions.  Growing up has been so worth it.

---------------
On the bright side by SunlightGirl (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed May 06, 2009 at 04:14:58 PM EST
You have plenty of time to job hunt possibly. Though if they are so delusional who knows if they won't can some of you early. Anything can happen. But your intellicutal response to accept the true realities is a good marketable skill.

On dog ~~~Maybe look to see if there are any vet school anywhere near you and see if they will do the surgery on the dog. I have a feeling have an instructor do a surgery they all watch that might have your doggies under a bit longer than usual is better than no surgery at all. Horrible beast would be one who didn't take any effort to find options to get his friend the surgery some how.

You can not just let your best friend suffer without taking some kind of efforts to think outside the box to help him.
Maybe you could join one of those trade your talents barter things. Maybe you could do a little side consulting in trade for the dog's surgery?
Oh fuck the ponies - fuck it all...
Vet School by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 07, 2009 at 07:39:04 AM EST
I could look into it.  We have a nearby vetrinarian college.

---------------
Good luck with that by SunlightGirl (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu May 07, 2009 at 12:07:44 PM EST
Dogs are such wonderful creatures.

Esp if you tell them you just can not afford the surgery and if the dog needs it you do not want your dog to suffer. Tell them at the school you would even be willing to help out a day or two on days off once in awhile in trade. Just please do not just give up on your dog. In these economic times few could afford 3k to have doggie have a little surgery. Do not beat yourself up if you really can not afford it.
Oh fuck the ponies - fuck it all...
Stuff Inside | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback