Print Story Fun-flu-tainment
Zombies
By coryking (Mon May 04, 2009 at 07:45:05 PM EST) wine, flu, tags, your mom (all tags)
Whelp... after many years of doing this crap on my own... I picked up a day gig at Microsoft (via Volt).  I have a lot to learn...

Also: I think I had the swine flu.

Lastly, it is raining here in Seattle, yet  I must walk to the grocery store, W.W.J.D?

Answer: he'd make it stop.  But I'll walk to the grocery store anyway.  Lady isn't around, so I can cook stuff she doesn't like to eat.  Good times.

As for the job... Things on my "list of stuff to learn":
  1. How the big-boys do configuration management and build systems
  2. Proper unit testing hygine (can't really learn on my own, I need to be ensconsed in a place that does it)
  3. How the big-boys operate with many hands touching the same code base
  4. How to be a good manager
  5. How politics work in big companies
  6. Ponies.
Basically, I blew it.  Time to pick up and learn from my mistakes and learn, learn, learn.  I know a lot of shit... but I dont know everything.  I figure working at Microsoft is the most ideal place to learn the skills I lack.  I start tommorow.  Well, I was supposed to start today, but as I found out (after I took the bus and got my non-escort badge), they kinda wanted me in tommorow.

Oh yeah.  Last week I had flu-like symptoms.  Say, runny nose, cough, soreness, dry eyes, sore throught.  The lady wasn't feeling to hot either.  Wonder if I had this new-fangled swine flu?  If so, I wonder how many others had it, or are having it?  $100 says I had it.  Which would be hillarious.
< Confessions of a young adult adrenaline junkie | Stuff Inside >
Fun-flu-tainment | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Uh... by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue May 05, 2009 at 12:29:20 AM EST
The only way to learn how to be a good manager at Microsoft is to consider everything you see to be a negative example.

I would agree by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue May 05, 2009 at 12:55:29 AM EST
I would like to think otherwise, but after reading I Sing the Body Electronic, the depiction in Microserfs is actually flattering.

Chill out, snowflake.

When you're healthy again by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue May 05, 2009 at 01:38:44 AM EST
Beers are on me.

I'm healthy right now by coryking (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue May 05, 2009 at 10:03:11 AM EST
 Drinking beer as god intended :-)  In fact, I drunk beer during my horrible cross with the dreaded swines flu.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

configuration management by garlic (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue May 05, 2009 at 08:22:49 AM EST
and many hands touching the same code is hard. We do it at our site, but there's certainly room for improvement.

It is hard for even one hand by coryking (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed May 06, 2009 at 09:50:59 AM EST
Figuring out how to do a good release cycle for my own code was hard enough.  Like how you track perl and all 1.5 million CPAN dependencies (do you shove them into repository?  do you not?  how do you version them?  do you care if they are versioned?)  How do you update a live website?  How do you version the database?  Etc. etc. etc...

Since I was one dude, I figured it wasn't worth trying to version or even script the database stuff--instead I just did that as one-off crap.  Tracked CPAN modules via tinerbuild--an automated build system for FreeBSD; didn't bother with versioning the dependencies though, I only versioned the makefile used to build all the dependencies.

The interesting thing is the team I now work on now writes the tools for other groups to use for releasing code and manageing change.  It should be interesting.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Fun-flu-tainment | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback