Print Story Confessions of a young adult adrenaline junkie
By lm (Mon May 04, 2009 at 06:02:35 PM EST) (all tags)
Well, young by my metric. After all, I'm not even yet be old enough to be president of Estonia.

In fitness news, my weight has been all over the map. Last Friday, I clocked in at 171. This morning I came in at 177. I blame free pizza, sundry other yummy things and deficit of self-control.

The running last week went extraordinarily well. I clocked two miles at 16:58 and change and a mile at 7:38 which is the first time I've done a mile in under 8 minutes in weeks. Then today came and my morning mile was almost 10 minutes. My mojo just kind of left ...

But with regards to lifting, I saw progress for the first time in quite some time. I'm still not at three full sets of shoulder presses. But I can do three full sets of everything else. Although, leg extensions, of all things, are difficult. I dunno why. My legs are my best feature. If the rest of my body was proportionate to my legs, I'd be eight feet tall.

Also, I noticed two weeks ago that I'm bowlegged. A friend of mine pointed out to me quite some time ago that I was standing bowlegged in a picture. I was, but intentionally so. Child of the eighties that I am, I came of age when cow-punk was coming to be. Mike Ness had just got out of prison and was singing the blues. Skinheads were wearing spurs on their oxblood red Docs. Alien Jourgenson donned a cowboy hat. Standing bowlegged, as if one were a cowboy, was one of the iconic punk rock poses.

But, as it turns out, it's not just a pose for me. C'est la vie. There's worse things in the world.

:: :: :: :: ::

I've been quiet as of late because papers were due last week and the week before. I put together 40 pages of text (without counting notes and bibliographies) to meet various deadlines. This week is exam week. So I'll likely be mostly quiet after today.

The exams this semester are make or break for me. If I end up only doing an adequate job like I did last semester, I'm going to give some serious thought as to whether or not I should stay in grad school. I like the work. I really like the work. But its quite possible that the work, at least at this school is beyond what I can do. Hence it's time to buckle down.

Speaking on only doing an adequate job, I'm starting to wonder if I'm an adrenaline addict. I've always known that I do my best work under pressure. And I can't say that I really enjoy that sinking feeling where I doubt I have enough time to do everything I need to do and the hair on the back of my neck is standing on end for 72 hours straight as I race to beat the clock. But I keep putting myself into those situations. I wonder at times if I'm doing it subconsciously because I crave adrenaline. It has been, after all, quite some time since I've been run over or have done something utterly idiotic on a bicycle. Setting myself up for possible academic failure is safe by comparison, I suppose. Nevertheless, it's not a good thing.

:: :: :: ::

I made a tactical error while grocery shopping. I had put ham on the list because I was hoping that it'd be cheap due to concerns over swine flu. It wasn't that cheap, save for the big chunks of 10 pounds or more. So I bought one. I figured I could use a pound or so for the ham/potato chowder on the menu, slice a bit off to use for cold cuts on sandwiches, and freeze the rest to use at some ill defined point in the mysterious future.

Turns out that it wasn't cooked yet. No big deal, I figured, I'll cook it in the slow cooker overnight. So I did. It cooked. But slow cooked ham in the crock pot is not the type that easily slices to make slicings of the right sort to go on sandwiches. So I ended up freezing almost all of it. And there is quite a lot of it. Lots of ham recipes coming up next week ...

Not to mention that as I type this, the fat and bones are simmering to make gallons upon gallons of ham stock ...

:: :: ::

My eldest daughter's distaste for Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 fresh in mind, I thought that I'd give it another spin as I'm not certain that I ever read it as an adult. Having had the experience of not on being married and also having worked at a job I hated for a number of years certainly put a spin on the opening chapters that I completely missed as a teenager. Bits of the social commentary also seem pretty ham-fisted.

But I'm reminded of why I like Bradbury as an author so much. His intimate description of the little details shocks and awes. He has just the right words to make this or that little thing come to life in a way that makes the reader see the full significance of everyday occurrences for the very first time.

The other interesting bit is how well the sci-fi parts of the book hold up. The only thing he really, really missed out on is the Internet. The way he portrays the opiate of the masses is practically calling out for Facebook.

:: ::

I got in a friendly dustup with a friend on Facebook. He posted the aphorism, ``Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.'' I objected that, as sub-field of philosophy, mathematics cannot differ with regards to objectives and rules.

To begin with, philosophy, save perhaps for some forms of post-modernism, requires rules. Whether one is speaking of analytic, continental, medieval or classical philosophy, it requires rules. The rules put forth most often are the rules of thought, the laws of identity, negation, contradiction, etc.

Not to mention that math usually has objectives. Or, rather, at least as much as philosophy does. If philosophy is the attempt to uncover truth, then math is one aspect of that uncovering.

But my friend disagrees. And before I could sufficiently explain my points, the week-end turned into the new week and it was time for me cut and run. Studying needs to be done.

Alan Tudyk, who played Wash on Firefly, turned up on Dollhouse. He was precisely the right person for the role he played and pulled it off incredibly. His transformation from one persona to another before the viewer's eyes is exactly the sort of brilliance that makes me a Whedon fan.

Too bad the series has been hit or miss. Part of that blame lies with Fox. But some of the episodes that came out after the one Whedon marked as the pivotal point past which he was doing what he wanted were just kind of dumb.

I predict a big fat CANCELLED! come later this month. I hope I'm wrong. It's kind of a fun show and there aren't many shows on the tube these days that I think are actually fun.

< Another Day, Another Something Or Other... | Fun-flu-tainment >
Confessions of a young adult adrenaline junkie | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Congrats re: health and wellness by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon May 04, 2009 at 07:53:23 PM EST
Are you using a machine for leg extensions? I've noticed that my legs are such that I can't really get a good push with leg extensions on a machine. They're just not built right, or something. It might be the same for you.

Isn't logic the rules by which philosophy is studied?

Also, what is the plural of logic?

Yeah, I use a machine by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon May 04, 2009 at 08:23:05 PM EST
Since I'm usually working out by my lonesome, I think it best to stay away from free weights. They're difficult, but not impossible. I think its more likely to be the case that they hit a part of my leg that isn't well developed than I am misshapen in the mind of the designer of the machine. But I suppose it's possible.

As for login being the rules of philosophy, no. At least if by logic you mean predicate logic, predicate calculus, first order logic or the like. All of these are formal systems that must be derived from first principles. The analysis and the rules by which those first principles are derived are proper rules of philosophy. Not to mention that there are questions that logic per se may not touch on that other rules of thought may.

The plural, in English, is logics.

Cicero, The Republic
don't use a machine by gzt (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon May 04, 2009 at 11:57:24 PM EST
just do squats. seriously.

I don't anymore by debacle (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue May 05, 2009 at 10:37:06 AM EST
However, because of my back problems, I can't do squats with weight for another year or so. 50+ squats doesn't do much for my legs anymore but does a number on my knees.

Exam by ni (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon May 04, 2009 at 08:33:08 PM EST
Good luck. I have my last tomorrow. I strongly suspect, alas, that I shall be getting what is coming to me.

I'll hope for the best for you by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 05, 2009 at 08:08:30 AM EST
But, in the end, it's hard to avoid that which we have coming to us.

Not that knowing this makes it any easier to deal with.

Cicero, The Republic
Quite right. by ni (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue May 05, 2009 at 09:47:35 AM EST
If we could inflict the miseries upon others that we so easily do upon ourselves we would be gods. But then, without the wisdom to avoid the former, what point the latter?

As has been noted by many, our lives would be hilarious if we didn't have to live them.

That's not ham... by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 05, 2009 at 07:53:40 AM EST
That's pork. Ham is cured. A Virginia (or Country) ham is a thing of beauty. It is also suitable only for Easter dinner for 20...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It was definitely a ham by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 05, 2009 at 08:07:02 AM EST
It was cured. Perhaps my mistake was in cooking it at all. Is ham usually only cooked to make it warm for eating? If so, that explains my malfunction.

Cicero, The Republic
It depends by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 05, 2009 at 08:18:54 AM EST
Some hams (like from Honeybaked) are cured and cooked, and just have to be heated up. The classic Virginia Ham (which is an entire cured leg, up to 20 lbs.) has to be cooked.

A recipe from the Virginia Tech page on hams

The traditional 4-step method is to:
(1) Wash ham with a stiff bristled brush, removing as much of the salt as possible.
(2) Place the ham in a large container, cover with cold water, and allow it to stand 10-12 hours or overnight.
(3) Lift the ham from the water and place it in a deep kettle with the skin side up and cover with fresh, cold water.
(4) Cover the kettle, heat to a boil, but reduce heat as soon as the water boils. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes per pound [up to 10 hours!]until done.
Then you glaze it in the oven and serve to several dozen of your closest friends.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I thought the slow cooker would approximate that by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue May 05, 2009 at 09:05:00 AM EST
At least the cooking part.

I suspect that at least part of my problem is that I should have let the ham rest longer before cutting it up.

But there must be more that I did wrong. Before cooking, it looked like a ham. After cooking, the color was unlike any ham I've ever seen. Still tastes like ham, though.

Cicero, The Republic
Ham by garlic (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue May 05, 2009 at 08:20:22 AM EST
is ussually raised up to safe temperature's against pork.

If it wasn't really ham, it would have been called something like fresh ham -- which is just a pork roast with a leg bone in it.