Print Story Thoughts, stupids, ideals.
By nightflameblue (Mon May 04, 2009 at 10:57:58 AM EST) (all tags)
Temptations, evil. Things, inside.

This weekend brings the rawk. Friday = Lacuna Coil, Chimaira, Killswitch Engage, Disturbed, plus however many pissant bands they have on the second stage. Monday = Lacuna Coil, Chimaira, Killswitch Engage. I should be well black and blue by Tuesday. Joy.

Tempted to do something stupid with the guitars. But then again, what do I do with them that isn't stupid?

Kitty1 appears to be operating nominally, according to the latest series of tests. Not perfect, but better than expected. This is good news for the foreseeable future. Lots of extra work involved in maintenance, but if she's healthy, it's all good.

I actually wasted five minutes this morning wondering about the string of newb accounts that are all a little too cartoon character to be real. Then I realized, meh, it really doesn't matter.

Had a weird, WEIRD series of dreams last night. I mean br00talz on the scale of weirdness. Just...bizarre. The worst of which involved some weird mix of videogame, movie, reality and fantasy in some oddball tantalizing, yet still completely stupid, series of events. Seriously, left me wondering what the hell.

Yet, I somehow hope I have that particular dream again because it didn't turn out all that bad for me.

Watched a couple movies this weekend.

The Reader was the most pretentious and self-congratulatory piece of crap I've seen in quite some time. When Mrs. NFB started crying over the ending I couldn't help but roll my eyes in disgust. This movie spent so much time saying, "look how intellectual and awesome I am" that it was really hard to connect with anybody on any level beyond, "huh, I'll bet those would be interesting characters in a good story." Not even Kate Winslet's usual penchant for constant nudity could overcome this plot. Fail.

Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker = so close. There was a deleted scene on the disc that, had it been included in the movie, would have taken it from where it was to a status more befitting a Hellraiser movie. As it was, it was plenty better than the previous entry into the series. At least this one TRIED to be a Hellraiser movie. But they cut the most important part of continuity in the entire movie, that tied intimately with the first two movies. Kristy is still teh hawtness though, so that's pretty cool. Her husband was a dirtbag. In a lot of ways this was like watching Hellraiser V with some attempt to make it an ACTUAL Hellraiser movie. The variety of boobages makes up for the cut scene. Quasi-win.

We made awesome donuts this weekend. Fried, sugar-cinnamon covering. AWESOME.

I discovered that I actually CAN have too much sugar in one sitting. Who would have thought?

Still have yet to make my tortilla chip things since we got the frier. Maybe this week while I have time off? Maybe.

(This space left blank for people to inform me how bad fried foods are for me, because, obviously, I couldn't have ever heard that before.)

Yeah, enough. Outz.

< "Standing at the 'Stand-Bar'" | I'm in Arlington, VA >
Thoughts, stupids, ideals. | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
meh, it really doesn't matter. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon May 04, 2009 at 11:20:17 AM EST
Describes the Entire Intarwebs, but especially Scoop sites. This is the modus operandi of the Great HuSi Cabal, which Knows All, Sees All, Can't be bothered to actually do anything about any of it because, meh, it really doesn't matter.

Fried food: Deep Fried Oreos...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm thinking by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon May 04, 2009 at 11:41:01 AM EST
deep fried chocolate bars.

Deep fried Mars Bar by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon May 04, 2009 at 11:48:27 AM EST
A Scottish Delicacy. Substitute Snickers in USia.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Milky Way is the actual US equivalent. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon May 04, 2009 at 01:51:26 PM EST
According to Wikipedia, anyway.

Are you sure. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon May 04, 2009 at 11:33:51 AM EST

It can't have been that bad, surely???
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
It was. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon May 04, 2009 at 11:40:03 AM EST

And believe me, it pains me to say it, 'cause I DIG Kate Winslet. A lot.

I too by dmg (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon May 04, 2009 at 07:25:21 PM EST
Am a fan of Ms Winslet....
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Speaking of fats by marvin (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon May 04, 2009 at 12:24:05 PM EST
Received a stainless steel water bottle in the registration package for a water and wastewater association conference I attended last week. There was a little nutritional label silkscreened onto the bottle that said zero grams fat, and zero grams cholesterol. Gee, really? Water doesn't contain that stuff? Pepsi doesn't either, but that isn't exactly relevant information.

It is a useless bottle to me. I think I shall use it to store bacon grease in the kitchen.

I find great amusement in water bottle labels. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon May 04, 2009 at 01:03:08 PM EST
CONTAINS ZERO CALORIES! in big bold colorful letters, as if this is some huge revelation.

The ones I despise most are about cholesterol by marvin (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon May 04, 2009 at 01:32:43 PM EST
There is a circle of hell reserved for people who make cookie packages proclaiming that they are cholesterol-free, as if every vegetable oil in the world wasn't already cholesterol-free. Most of those cookies have high saturated and trans fats levels, but hey, no cholesterol, so it must be healthy, right?

I know cookies are unhealthy in general. I can read an ingredients list and have a good idea of what the nutritional label would say, and I feel insulted to see some stupid marketer putting stuff like cholesterol-free on a label. I think I've seen it on olive oil bottle once as well. Didn't buy that brand, needless to say.

OLESTRA! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon May 04, 2009 at 02:19:32 PM EST
IT'S HEALTHY TO HAVE THE SHITZ!

I HATE what marketing about health has done to the flavor of food. I *KNOW* when I'm eating something that's "not good" for me. I do that every once in a while. I don't need protected from it.

Crap. Just because some people are morons doesn't mean we all need saved from ourselves.

What? by TurboThy (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon May 04, 2009 at 05:16:59 PM EST
There are new accounts? Where?
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Congrats! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon May 04, 2009 at 05:29:15 PM EST
You just added yourself to the suspect list.

Poor Kate, by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon May 04, 2009 at 06:13:21 PM EST
has she really been naked in that many movies? I have just read a few places recently commenting upon her nudity in films. I hadn't realised it was that rampant.
I haven't really seen very many of her movies because of what you said. I mean, they're chick flicks TO THE EXTREME. We all feel stuff, someone has a secret, secret gets found out, or doesn't, or whatever, or someone dies.. meh. I just looked at The Reader and contemplated it for renting, even though the trailer made me think I wouldn't like it, the back of the DVD told me for sure, I wouldn't like it. Glad I made the right choice!

Glad your kitty is doing better. I was hoping that wouldn't be a sad ending.

New peoples.... yes.... hmmm... interesting...

*twinkle*twinkle*

Kate Winslet Movies by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon May 04, 2009 at 11:03:50 PM EST
Outside of Titanic, are anything but chick-flicks. At least the ones I've seen. It's almost always some super-messed-up whirlwind of psychotic behavior framed by her being naked left, right, and uh, left again. Because profiles seem to appeal to her.

Honestly, at this point I'm beginning to think it's a contract stipulation for her. She WANTS to be naked in every movie. Or, she's willing to do it so if someone needs a naked, attractive female, *BAM* casting complete.

It's sad that in this world, that means she has a limited longevity, because she actually is a good actress.

Are you sure..? by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue May 05, 2009 at 08:58:37 AM EST
The Reader sounds like a chick flick too... let me pull up IMDB - Revelutionary Road - yeah, that screams chick flick, The Holiday - um yeah, super chick flick, All The Kings Men - nope, doesn't look like a chick flick, Little Children - um, sorry, another chick flick here, Romance and Cigerettes - well, it's a musical soooooo..... chick flick here again (sorry, I even like musicals but this is about relationships and feelings and shit..meh), Finding Neverland - yeah, I don't know, I even saw this, but was very disappointed by it, perhaps because it was a bit of... ahem... a chick flick, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - this looks like a SERIOUS chick flick... I'm jut gonna stop here. So, clealry she does do other films (I didn't count from this top eleven the two cartoons for example) but I would stand by the fact that most of her films are chick flicks. Maybe you just like them or you have just seen the minority of her films which are less chick flicky then others.

*twinkle*twinkle*

Look for Holy Smoke by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue May 05, 2009 at 09:35:25 AM EST
Lots of naked Kate Winslett.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue May 05, 2009 at 10:14:31 AM EST
That's a chick-flick? Have you seen it, or are you going on descriptions? Because descriptions of that movie are WAY off the mark everywhere I've seen them.

Just because a movie has feelings in it doesn't make it a chick-flick. A chick-flick in my world is, "OMG! I'M IN LOVE WITH MY BEST FRIEND BUT THEIR MARRYING SOMEONE ELSE!" Or some equally trite crap.

Maybe we have different definitions of chick flick. If it's attempting to be about feelings, but is really about sex-sex-sex and men are pigs, it's a chick flick. If it's actually about feelings, and does a good job of it, and has any depth at all, I wouldn't call it a chick-flick.

Also, see georgeha's comment. br00talz, but by descriptions, you'd say it's a chick-flick.

Just descriptions by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue May 05, 2009 at 11:11:23 AM EST
never seen that movie, so clearly I don't have a good idea, that's for sure. As with all of those movies, I haven't seen them, just going by trailers and whatnot. I"m sure you're right, a number of them are less chick flicky then I think. But, I think that we may also, as you point you, have a different  idea of what a chick flick is.

I think that many chick flicks are good movies which are deep and emotionally revealing and whatnot, I just don't like them. I certainly include not only the obvious fluffy chick flicks (as you defined them) but also the meaningful well done chick flicks, which I don't like just as much. Lots of people clearly do, men and women, I'm just not one of them. To me, hte basic general definition of a chick flick is some sort of a type of soap opera.

There are many soap operas which appeal to a wide audience as evidenced by the MASS amount of evenings soap opera's currently watched by MOST people (I often feel like a weirdo around tv watchers as they ALL seem to watch the same shows and no the current stories). I think it may be because I have used the term chick flick and shouldn't. That's a stupid term anyway, I'm a chick and clearly don't like them, and it makes men feel funny to have to be put into that pile as it clearly is an illdefined term. I mean, I'm guessing it's not just me who perhas overgeneralizes it a bit.

At any rate, I think we can agree that you like a kind of movie that I'm not that fond of, and that Kate Winslet happens to also like acting in them, and evidently, taking her clothes off in them (I think I will now have to check some of them out cause she's  puuuurty). I'm sure some of those movies I would actually like too, I have low tolerance for my, so termed "chick flicks", so I often ere on the side of not seeing just in case it is. I think I will try the Spotless Mind movie at least... it looked like it could possibly be interesting.

*twinkle*twinkle*

Spotless Mind is a brain teaser by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue May 05, 2009 at 11:43:01 AM EST
Having been through a relationship where I was drug to movies that were the definition of shallow chick-flick, I have a hard time picturing anything with any sort of depth as a chick flick. However, as you say, it's an ill-defined term.

Spotless Mind is good. Holy Smoke is one that will leave you scratching your head, but there's some interesting twists along the way. Don't bother with The Reader. I can give you that movie here, all the stuff left out of descriptions.

She can't read. He reads to her, not realizing it. She takes the blame for a bunch of Jewish deaths because she's the only guard that can't read or write, so she just accepts that everyone blames her for the written report. He thinks about letting everyone know she can't read when he figures it out, remains silent because he disagrees with her actual actions, then feels guilty forever about it. She teaches herself to read from his "read to her" tapes he sends out of guilt. She kills herself when she realizes that he really was disappointed in her actions and leaves her money to a Jewish girl she wronged. (I would say that's a bad spoiler, but it was telegraphed in the movie from the trial on.) The Jewish girl is rightfully indignant. And somehow the movie ends with the guy explaining to his daughter about this terrific love affair he had with this older woman when he was a teenager (not her mother), thus adding to the creepiness and general "look how awesomely awesome we think we are" vibe.

It attempts depth, but fails on every level. Mrs. NFB loved it, but says she'd never watch it again. I can't remember being so disgusted by a movie that I didn't actually turn off or walk away from. (Not true, Brokeback Mountain's super-love rape scenes felt that way to me too.) That's the one credit I can give it. It kept me watching, because I just kept thinking, "all these raves, there has to be something."

I haven't seen that either... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue May 05, 2009 at 02:23:47 PM EST
hahahah... I've missed a lot of movies though in the last five years. Kids, you know. I did want to see Brokeback Mountain too, but... it is a drama and I'm rarely in the right mood for those. I guess that's the thing, drama just isn't my thang although I can appreciate it when well done. There is so much sad in the world, if I'm not learning something I generally don't want to have to go through the upheaval of reliving someone elses pain; I'm far too empathic.

I'll let you know what I think of the Spotless movie after I see it, we can compare notes.

*twinkle*twinkle*