Print Story I should do one of these
By StackyMcRacky (Fri May 29, 2009 at 03:17:13 PM EST) (all tags)
I think it has been a while.

My son pee'd in the potty the other day!  There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

My son said "I love you, mommy" for the first time the other night.  :)

clock's brother is in town.  The Dude looooooves his uncle.  It's so cute.

Camping rocked, even though it was jam-packed with bits of FAIL.  I lost 2 inches around my waist!  I desperately need more exercise, but I just can't find the time in my day-to-day life.  One day we'll live in a place where I can actually get exercise by walking around the block.

My son desperately needs a nap, but refuses to take one now.  He's baby-gated in his room.  He'll eventually fall asleep.

I'm totally slacking today, I'm still in my morning exercise clothes.  Pew!

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes!  We have lots of tomatoes going on!  Here's hoping the temperatures stay below 94 for a few more weeks so we can get even more!

We're headed to the zoo tomorrow.  I just checked prices - wow, it wasn't that long ago when it cost $2 to get in.  Now it's $10 per adult, and $6 for 2+ kids (The Dude is not 2 yet, so we're good).  That's as much as the movies.

Yay, I think he's asleep!

I really REALLY want to get clock's pants finished in the next week.  I'm beyond ready to play with my mother's day toy.  I need to see what I can figure out on my own, so I can schedule a class for the rest.

I think Singer sewing machines should manufacture 1 model in the USA.  I'd like to see how it sells.

There's a bunch of stuff I wanted to say, but I can't remember any of it now.  Meh.

Off to sew!

< Bastards at netflix | The Saggar-Maker's Bottom Knocker >
I should do one of these | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
check membership prices by R343L (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri May 29, 2009 at 03:26:05 PM EST
Every zoo I've been to had a membership level for parents + kids that often paid for itself in 2-3 visits.

Also, is it just too hot to go walking around the block there? Or is this a suburban no-sidewalk doom region?

then i'd have to go to the zoo more than once! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 29, 2009 at 04:22:24 PM EST
we don't go to the zoo, etc, more often because it's a drive, it's hot to walk around, parking is terrible, etc.  my mom got the dude a membership to the children's museum, and we've only used it once in almost a year.   too far out in the burbs!

we walk every day, but it's flat.  totally flat.  the only hill-like things in houston are entrance ramps to the freeways.  you don't get much of a workout when it's this flat.

we don't have sidewalks (which is so weird), and it does get hot but that doesn't stop us!  we walk in the street (as does everybody in this neighborhood) and we go at 7:30am to minimize the heat.  black dog + blazing sun isn't a good combo!

Heh. More than once by R343L (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 29, 2009 at 04:30:33 PM EST
Of course you go more than once! The Dude is gong to totally fall in love with the zoo and eventually instead of saying "I love you" he's going to be saying "I love you, can we go to the zoo?" ;)

Topography by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 29, 2009 at 08:28:31 PM EST
Needing hills to get a good workout from walking must mean that you have very little time to do it in (which makes sense given what you said above).  I think if you walked five miles a day at a 16-17 minute/mile pace you'd get a great workout, hills or no hills.  That's how I lost about fifty pounds in 2007.  (Unfortunately, it's all back again...bleah)

yeah by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 10:43:59 AM EST
if i had more time.......

everything is just so much more difficult with a little dude.  :)

Library? by duxup (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri May 29, 2009 at 04:29:23 PM EST

No this isn’t some stupid bookworm “hey you can go places in books” (the hell you can!). Around here the libraries have X amount of membership cards available to check out for free for museums, and zoos and such. Crazy I know.

____
i will check that out by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri May 29, 2009 at 08:27:49 PM EST
that's probably too cool for Houston.

(HAHAHA - LIBRARY - CHECK IT OUT)

Sorry, I misread... by yankeehack (4.00 / 5) #5 Fri May 29, 2009 at 06:06:58 PM EST
I really REALLY want to get into clock's pants in the next week.

You can thank me later clock...

Sigged! by hulver (4.00 / 3) #8 Sat May 30, 2009 at 06:13:17 AM EST
Oh yes.
I really REALLY want to get into clock's pants in the next week. - yankeehack

Singer Sewing machines by johnny (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat May 30, 2009 at 09:04:22 AM EST
For a few years in the 60's and early 70's, my father was a bigwig at Singer. If I recall right, he was chief financial officer for the company, and also somehow in charge of operations of Singer Europe.  His office was on the 60th floor of the NBC building in Rockefeller Center ("30 Rock"); I went to high school on 16th street & used to visit my old man in his office from time to time.

After my freshman year in college, I wanted to work in France for the summer. My father gave me the name & address of the president of Singer, France. I had to write to him in French & ask for a job. Which I got, working in a spare parts and fabric warehouse in Paris (near Place D'Italie). I lived in a worker's hostel. Singer in Europe made not only sewing machines, they also sold all kinds of big home appliances like washing machines and refrigerators. I could tell a lot of stories about that summer. Taking naps on giant piles of bolts of fabric after 1.5 hou lunches with a half-liter of wine. . . I digress.

In the USA, the market for machines was absolutely collapsing. People just stopped making their own clothes. Singer had had hundreds of stores; they had to close most of them. It was like a balloon had been popped. The culture had changed.

Meanwhile, Singer had diversified into, believe it or not, military stuff. They owned technology some of the first simulators--airplane, tank, etc, etc. So the company was becoming really schizophrenic, and eventually they cut themselves up into piece parts and sold themselves off. I don't remember the details, only that it was stressful for my old man. Eventually he took another job (which turned out to be even more stressful).  He's nearly 85 now but still stays in touch with the guys he managed at Singer. They kind of revere him. Pretty touching, actually. I digress.

Dear Wife still gets out her machine from time to time; when I met her (she was a 28 year old PhD candidate who spent 60 hours a week in her lab) about 1/3 of her clothes were things she had made herself.  She later told me that he high school boyfriend ditched her after she wore to the prom a dress she had made herself. (It's a very cool dress. My daughters wore it too!). Too bad for him. He now sells insurance in Evansville, Indiana.

Anyway, neither of my daughters know how to sew.  It's largely a lost art.

So those are my thoughts Singer making a machine in the USA. It would be a beautiful thing, but it ain't likely.

My great-grandmother worked for Singer by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #10 Sat May 30, 2009 at 09:42:38 AM EST
I'm not sure what she did aside from that, except that she had left her abusive husband and was supporting her three daughters with that job. She sent my grandmother and her two sisters to college as well, and taught them how to take care of themselves. I also have a very soft spot in my heart for Singer, but I have have a Hello, Kitty! sewing machine, and I haven't even played with it much, aside from taking it out of the box and identifying the various parts.

Not a lost art any longer by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun May 31, 2009 at 12:18:52 PM EST
Garment sewing is "in!"  Due to the popularity of Project Runway, all the teenagers and 20 somethings are buying sewing machines and learning how to sew.  They all want to be fashion designers, it seems.

Plus, quilting is crazy in popularity right now.  At least, in these here parts is it.  Most of the sewing shops are geared towards quilters.

I, for one, love that I can finally have clothes that FIT!  So can clock!  It's totally liberating.

re: Singer - yeah, it seems SVP (holding company for Singer, Viking & Pfaff) is busy consolidating their lines and inventories (it will take me 6+ weeks to get a straight stitch plate for my machine because they are moving warehouses).  Rumor has it they're going to try to up Singer's quality and make some Vikings and Pfaffs more affordable (my Viking is made in China by Janome).  We'll see how it all works out.

I saw a bunch of fair traded clothes today by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun May 31, 2009 at 03:20:56 AM EST
And i realized that while fair trade is certainly good, they're still paying indian women a pittance compared to what they'd have to pay american workers to make the same thing.

No walking around the block? by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 05:03:10 AM EST
No block or too nasty?

I do 2 miles every day around the neighborhood by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 09:34:24 AM EST
but I've been doing that every day for almost 6 years now (since I got the dog), so it's not much of a workout any more.

I should do one of these | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback