Print Story Bastards at netflix
Travel
By gzt (Fri May 29, 2009 at 01:16:34 PM EST) gzt, stopwatch, netflix (all tags)
I want to cancel my netflix as soon as the month I just paid for runs out, but there is no method of doing so. There is only the option of immediate cancellation with no refunds for partial months. I will likely forget by the time the exact day rolls around. They really should work with their customers here and have a method of saying, "Hey, I want this to be my last month of Netflix, so once this month runs out, let's just stop this thing." Fine. I'm setting up an e-mail alert on my calendar.

Resolved: response cards in invitations are vaguely insulting to the recipient.

I don't think I've accomplished anything, really, in the last couple days. I've puttered around, pushed numbers from column A to column B, projected a couple things, but... well, whatevs.

I am going to time how long it takes to do certain things. Like, with a stopwatch. Just out of curiosity. Door-to-desk and desk-to-door in the morning and evening. Walking to the grocery store. Walking to the gym. Average time to get to my car from the apartment. Average time to drive to Bucktown. Average time to drive back from Bucktown. I have a stopwatch. I have Excel. I have curiosity. I have the technology. I have the capability to build the world's first bionic man.

I should fix up my desktops or at least pull the information off of the hard drives. One slight glitch is that the boxes are all Lunix and I don't run a Lunix box at the moment. So, here's the idea: run a live CD, pull info off of hard drives onto a thumb drive, go back to normal and drop data onto hard drive. Hmm. I really hope there are drivers for this thing in Lunix. An initial glance makes it look like it does. But, who knows? Unfortunately, it doesn't work on laptop hard drives, otherwise I could try to rescue stuff from R's dead laptop.

I got a gallon of whole milk for $1.99 and a dozen eggs for $0.79. Man! That's better than 1000 cal/$ when you figure in tax. Throw in some homemade fibrous bread, some fruit and veg, and you've got yourself some hearty, yet reasonably healthy, meals on the cheap. That's what I'm all about at the moment.

< media roundup | I should do one of these >
Bastards at netflix | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
How old is that laptop? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri May 29, 2009 at 01:32:25 PM EST
You can boot off of a live USB stick and copy to another USB stick if you had to. There's nothing all that special about laptop hard drives, unless it's a truly ancient machine. Or rip the laptop out of the dead laptop, buy a hard drive adapter to hook it up to regular desktop IDE connection, and pull the data that way.

It's been years since I had to worry about hardware compatibility with Linux.

The dead laptop by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 29, 2009 at 01:41:45 PM EST
The only thing I'm thinking about is this: the hard drive enclosure thing I have is a 3.5", so that'll be fine for pulling the data off the hard drives from the dead desktops. Lunix and hardware, that shouldn't really be a problem, I was just being paranoid. Pulling stuff off of R's dead laptop, well, that's a different sized hard drive. It's probably worth $20 to her to get the data off, though, so we'll get the adapter. Though the laptop thing just brought up an issue: she's Ubuntu, I'm Kubuntu (even though I'm only using Windows right now). This could be trouble.

Shouldn't you have had the distro discussion by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri May 29, 2009 at 01:43:43 PM EST
before getting engaged?

Ubuntu/Kubuntu never works out.

It was the first date, actually. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri May 29, 2009 at 01:46:50 PM EST
I guess I was just so shocked that she used Lunix that I was blinded to the eventual difficulties we would encounter. It's time to take the rose-colored glasses off. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE GOTTEN MYSELF INTO.

It will all end in tears by marvin (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri May 29, 2009 at 02:39:14 PM EST
She probably uses Emacs, too. End it now, for both of your sakes.

Milk @ 7/11 here is $1.99 by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat May 30, 2009 at 02:56:50 PM EST
Has been for quite some time. What Consumer Hell do you live in?

chicago, where we tax you per breath. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun May 31, 2009 at 11:41:58 AM EST
plus, birth tax, death tax, and holding your breath tax.

If milk was its true market value by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 10:58:37 AM EST
it would cost even less than $1.99 a gallon. The government in US is on verge of paying dairy farmers to kill over 100,000 dairy cows to decrease milk production in the us and drive milk prices back up.
Oh fuck the ponies - fuck it all...
Bastards at netflix | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback