Print Story It was a nice, relaxing four day weekend
Cars
By georgeha (Fri May 29, 2009 at 11:32:40 AM EST) swine flu, bondo, Brit-bashing, corvette, hostas (all tags)
that lasted until Tuesday morning when twelve year old was scrambling to finisher her English homework.

Plus, The Cruel Sea, How the Irish Saved Civilization, I'm not OCD enough for bodywork, hostas and pigs and less.

Poll: Favorite vehicular body material?

As expected, with twelve year old off to Lake Winnipesaukee with the newspapers, the house became very relaxed, almost catatonic. We spoiled seven year old, letting her eat in the living room in front of the TV, taking her to the local custard chain, and giving her more attention than she's used to. I also spoiled myself, reading, hanging out on the laptop, and just being an unmotivated slug.

We also visited Mrs. Ha's sister in the exurbs to the west, where I had a chance to sit and talk. My brother-in-law is big on hostas, he likes low maintenace ground cover. His window business is doing okay in this economy, the tax credits are helping people replace old windows. I didn't ask him if he voted for Obama, he's in the evangelical camp but he did express concern over cap and trade. That's about as political as we get.

Their neighbors are raising pigs, chickens and ducks, seven year old got a kick out of hog calling. I sent a pick of the pig to twelve year old I wonder what I'll get charged.

It wasn't all fun, I did an hour or two of bodywork on the minivan. There's a good sized rusted out chunk on the bottom, and I bought some 22 gauge steel to replace it. I'd be happy to see the minivan last another 3-4 years. I'll do my best, and then slap one some rubber/vinyl protection, as I just don't have the personality for great looking body work. Somewhere around the third sand, wetsand, brush on thin layer of glazing, and prime iteration I lose interest.

Twelve year old had a great time, didn't finish her homework, and even taught newspaper_girl and a brother to play Catan. She wants us to rent out their Lake cottage. Maybe next year.

A couple of books to review, first up was a Goodwill find, Montserrat's The Cruel Sea, a novel of life onboard a corvette and frigate out of Britain escorting convoys in World War II. The convoy work had some Hellish moments, it's not good to swim in oil covered ocean but it beats going down with a torpedoed ship. Most of the characters were British sailors, though there were a few Aussies, a foxy WREN, and some token Germans and Americans. I liked it, you ended up caring for some of the characters.

The other book was Cahill's How the Irish Saved Civilization, yeah, it was big years ago. The major thesis is that Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland in time to save lots of Roman and Greek literature while the Roman Empire fell, and then brought literacy back to Europe. The more interesting minor thesis is that Irish Christianity was earthy, sensual and cool, and not hung up on sex, but those dastardly Vikings and perfidious Englishmen ruined it all, and we're stuck with uptight Irish Catholics (because they wanted to impress their uptight English overlords).

The weekend looks busy, again. We're going to Buffalo on Saturday to attend a niece's dance dress reherseal, then off to a friend of mine's on Sunday.

I kegged my ale. Since I never racked it off, the dregs were thick and yeasty so I only had a sip, but it was bitter. I hope it's good enough to bring on Saturday and Sunday.

< Commercials are weird | media roundup >
It was a nice, relaxing four day weekend | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Bondo. Pounds and pounds of bondo by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri May 29, 2009 at 12:15:18 PM EST
Primer only. No paint. Looks best on a mid-70s muscle car.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

But it looks bad on a '92 Subaru wagon by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 29, 2009 at 12:26:16 PM EST

A 92 Subaru is perfect for that look! by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri May 29, 2009 at 12:33:27 PM EST
Lots of rednecks drive Subarus these days.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Also looked less impressive on a mid-70's ecobox by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 29, 2009 at 06:24:21 PM EST
I think we slowly turned my father's 76 Datson Honeybee into Bondo (I think he sold it in 86).

WIPO: paper. I once worked on a HumVee shelter (think walk-in pickup cap) that was made out of honeycombed paper with some sort of paper/resin coating. It needs to be thick, but the strength/(weight+cost) beats just about anything.

Wumpus

I saw a lot of honeycomb paper by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 29, 2009 at 08:24:59 PM EST
when I  was in the aerospace industry.

Gold Bondo by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri May 29, 2009 at 07:27:19 PM EST
isn't that a product manly men use for itchy man parts?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Being as by johnny (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri May 29, 2009 at 09:12:51 PM EST
My mother is from Scotland and my father's mother was from Ireland, I figure that my people are largely responsible for not only saving civilization, but also creating the modern world.

While we're on the subject, my father's father was from Finland, and Monty Python said somewhere that that was the best place to be from.

And my wife has a good deal of Cherokee in her, which not only gives her those wonderful coulda-been-a-model high cheekbones, but also makes her (and our children), just about as authentic as fuckall.

So that's what I have to say about the Irish.

WIPO: Aluminium by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun May 31, 2009 at 02:59:10 PM EST
Or cheese.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Check your keyboard by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun May 31, 2009 at 03:36:37 PM EST
you got a spare "i" after you typed "n".

Do I recall correctly that ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:04:53 AM EST
... you were the kind HuSite that once upon a time offered me an old hand operating bottle capping machine?

If so, are you still willing to part with it?

Cicero, The Republic
Perhaps by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:11:31 AM EST
It would be something similar to this, and I'd throw in some caps.

I would have to ask for an address though.

I also have many bale top Grolsch type bottles, but they're heavy, so I'd had to ask for shipping.

Give out my address to some stranger on the 'net? by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:19:18 AM EST
I dunno about that. I've a creepy feeling ...

Cicero, The Republic
Don't worry, since the housing/credit bubble by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:20:51 AM EST
burst, kidneys aren't going for much.