Print Story Budgeting.
Logic & Maths
By gzt (Thu May 28, 2009 at 12:18:35 PM EST) gzt, deadlift, dream, pudgy, budget (all tags)
We can do this without going bankrupt.

This is all quite possible.

I'm going to pretty much teetotal for a few months, apart from a couple six-packs or bottles of wine each month. Apart from perhaps an outing once or so per week, the only restaurant food I will eat will be off the dollar menu at McDonalds. This is a strong incentive to make my own food. Strong. I just got a large influx of free clothing, so I don't anticipate any large expenditures there in the foreseeable future. And, apart from a couple purchases I must make for exams, I have enough books.

Perhaps I shouldn't take a class fall semester. The tuition reimbursement allowance for the year runs out, leaving me with $1500 to pay, and I have to put up all the money up front, anyway. I will be busy studying for exams and getting married, too. No time for classes.

Speaking of exams, I suppose right now would be a good time to get serious about that exam coming up in 5 months. Seriously. Should I do the one or both? Hmm. They're changing the design this fall, I don't know whether that makes it better to do only one or both.

Well, I'll make it. By the grace of God.

I keep saying that I'll get reading done. I don't get around to it.

Since I went to church this morning and didn't make lunch, I suppose I'm a dollar-menunaire today, to use the lolfed.com term. Ugh. Especially since the double cheeseburger is off in favor of the "McDouble", which is the same thing with one fewer slice of cheese. Bastards. Give me my cheese back. Though I suppose that does make the thing slightly less disgusting.

I ended up neither picking up heavy things nor hanging out with people after church last night. I only went home and got some stuff done. It was late. I'll do it tonight after the landlord comes by to show the place. Seriously, though, I try to go every other day so that it doesn't matter if I occasionally bump a day back, but if I make a habit of it, I get pudgy instead of strong. And start having dreams about deadlifts.

< Interesting Happenings. | New Diary >
Budgeting. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
good jerb by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu May 28, 2009 at 12:53:45 PM EST
marriage is fun.

Two data points by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu May 28, 2009 at 06:31:44 PM EST
My wife and I basically eloped. The only people in attendance at our wedding were us, the preacher and two witnesses. Not having a proper church wedding is one of the few things I really regret. But to be fair at the time, I hadn't a clue about what a proper church wedding was IYKWIM.

On the other hand, every single friend I've know to get married since has envied me because I haven't had to put up with all the bull puckey concerning the logistics of a wedding and reception. Outside of dire emergencies, I've never seen so normally level headed people be so inhumanly stressed as dealing with a wedding and reception.

So power to you in sorting out the details.

Cicero, The Republic
ENJOY YUOR OPIATE OF TEH MASSES by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri May 29, 2009 at 03:01:44 AM EST
I had such high hopes for you, lad.

Oh, I do very much. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 29, 2009 at 11:45:13 AM EST
Well, I suppose we'll see in about 80 years how well it worked out for both of us.

Oh, I know how it'll turn out. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri May 29, 2009 at 08:56:43 PM EST
Libtard and Freeper parents will be screaming at each other at school board meetings about whether they should include me in the history curriculum.

having had both a wedding and eloping by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 29, 2009 at 09:24:47 AM EST
i say vegas is the way to go.  even if you want a wedding, go to vegas.  they have packages that handle EVERYTHING for you.  my friend had a full formal wedding in vegas, and she said it was incredibly easy and totally worth it.  they paid for the wedding AND for their parents to go, and it didn't break the bank.

VEGAS, BABY!

just remeber: a wedding is a single day.  in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter at all.  it's not worth going into debt over, or even stressing out over.

and congrats!

I will most certainly not get a penny of debt. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri May 29, 2009 at 11:12:38 AM EST
That's the one iron rule, and the anticipated state at the end of the day is to have no debt at all besides student loans (which is better than her present state, but not mine). The hope of not dipping into savings, though, means that I have to acquire all the money for the wedding between now and the wedding, hence the frugal living right now. The more we talk, though, the more it becomes clear that this is totally do-able and that we have very compatible, if not identical, philosophies about planning this thing. It is just a day, but there are a couple things that seem non-negotiable:
*Church wedding - this doesn't add any cost, but it's on the list because it's non-negotiable
*Quality professional photography
*Dancing at the reception
*Several billion of her friends at the reception
*I can't wear a black bowtie

Items 3 and 4 drive up the costs, but suggest an afternoon tea reception (though I will have to forcefully insist that it is not "high tea" and will likely not serve tea), which also indicates evening attire is not suitable, fitting in well with item 5. Still, if we find a suitable non-traditional venue (theaters!), we can definitely keep the fixed and per capita costs of the reception down.

Almost everything else is negotiable though subject to the dictates of politeness and tradition, which are really quite far from what most people seem to think they are. For instance, I would recommend not including response cards in the invitations, since they imply that the respondents are incapable of writing their own responses. I typically ignore them. This may get me crucified.

Anyway. I ramble.

afternoon formal, yo by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 29, 2009 at 02:49:52 PM EST
my ex wore a full "morning formal" tux at my first wedding.

if no black tie, then tell me you're not doing some god-awful matchy-matchy colored tie thing.  tack-y!

well, here's my thoughts by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 29, 2009 at 03:28:45 PM EST
I was definitely thinking of a morning suit, or else a stroller. If it were in the evening, I was considering white tie.

Just say no to matchy-matchy colored ties!

Do you have any friends who by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri May 29, 2009 at 08:09:30 PM EST
Do photo work as a serious hobby? If so you know some people now at the catered weddings I work  are having friends with talent take the photos instead of hiring a pro. I have seen them do competitions between the friends over who will have the best shots online by the end of the night. This way they not only save upfront but they also do not have to worry about extra fees for extra copies.

Some events I have seen they also leave disposable cameras on all the tables and they have them picked up, developed and posted online by the next day. Esp if you have wild crowd family and friends you can get some pretty interesting shots this way.

Also some times you can find fairly affordable local talent at great prices if you just go to your local camera store and ask around. The biggest thing to look for is someone who not only can get the right shots but who will not disrupt the flow of the wedding and celebration mood in order to get them. Professional quality type photos shouldn't cost you more than you can really afford.

Oh fuck the ponies - fuck it all...
Don't worry about it. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat May 30, 2009 at 01:45:18 AM EST
I'm just pointing out where we're putting the emphasis, not complaining or anything. We've got it handled.

Okay by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun May 31, 2009 at 09:25:14 PM EST

Kool.
Best wishes for many happy blessed years together in love and lust!

Oh fuck the ponies - fuck it all...
ours was pretty cheap by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat May 30, 2009 at 08:54:34 PM EST
but around here what's "normal" is pretty far from what's normal/acceptable elsewhere. For instance, we had a buffet for our dinner (instead of plated dinners), and that's perfectly fine and often done around here, but a friend from out of state was horrified. but, there's a couple Husites out there that can back me up when i say we had a pretty awesome wedding.
---------
horrified? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun May 31, 2009 at 05:11:32 PM EST
Good grief. The only thing that should horrify people is impoliteness. What I find horrifying is what most moderns think of as integral parts of the wedding. Or people wearing evening attire to a daytime event.

The Buffet Thing by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 11:03:19 AM EST

It is becoming much more common in Seattle at high end events for corporate and wedding catered events. People are trying to save where they can these days. I have seen drastic increase in Buffet events compared to just two years ago.

Oh fuck the ponies - fuck it all...
Budgeting. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback