Print Story Is that a weekend I see before me?
By Merekat (Fri May 22, 2009 at 10:06:28 AM EST) (all tags)
It took long enough to get here!

Odd, very fractured week. Lots of travel, meetings, 1.5 days of leave, and I still feel like it chewed me up and spat me out. Probably the mosquito poison coursing through my system.

Bike has been purchased and initiated, A last-years-model Trek 7500, and the 1st 15km done yesterday with no falls, one wobble and a bruise to replace the finally faded ones from the Microscooter. The energy output is interesting. Harder work at the time than walking, but overall less exhausting. Have still to get used to the saddle. Purchasing of something with a squishy (i.e. comfortable looking) saddle was thoroughly discouraged by all my friends with bikes. Whilst there was some disagreement about suspension, grip shift brakes, sitting position etc., the saddle question was unanimous - no sofa saddles. I shall take their word for it that the consequences fade with time and practice. Next target is to get around Greifensee (23km).

< Sleep is for the weak | The jokes on me, I'm not supposed to be at work today >
Is that a weekend I see before me? | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
First Sheldon Post by Herring (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri May 22, 2009 at 10:21:53 AM EST
Saddles.

Your legs will get used to the movement. Short, frequent rides might help here. It's nice out in the evenings now.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Nice out? by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 22, 2009 at 10:23:56 AM EST
The evenings are tending to 27 degrees, thunder and downpours:(

Well, it's been nice out here by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 22, 2009 at 10:29:17 AM EST
I have a noticeable tanline from my cycling top.

The trick to cycling in a thunderstorm is to go really fucking fast so it can't get you.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Any saddle takes a bit of getting used to by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri May 22, 2009 at 10:27:53 AM EST
I considering swapping my present one for a razor blade when I first bought it but after a few rides it's great.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

After a while by Herring (4.00 / 3) #5 Fri May 22, 2009 at 10:30:04 AM EST
your arse will get used to it. As I said to the wife (boom-tish).

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
agreed by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat May 23, 2009 at 09:39:12 PM EST
each spring my arse needs to get used to the saddle again.
---------
Will all of Bacchus's by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 22, 2009 at 10:55:11 AM EST
Great bottles ever wipe the stain from my hand?

Did those friends tell you about padded clothing? by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat May 23, 2009 at 05:18:30 AM EST
If they did, they are indeed good friends.

If they didn't they are evil.

They did by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon May 25, 2009 at 03:53:14 AM EST
But cycling fever has gripped the city, and such things are harder to come by in average sizes as a result.