Print Story The jokes on me, I'm not supposed to be at work today
Internet
By georgeha (Fri May 22, 2009 at 10:10:36 AM EST) forgotten four day weekend, wifi, leech, Huckabee (all tags)
it's a day off. OTOH, my home internet is down, and I had a few things I had to do, so it sort of works out.

Plus, ATTN Husi brewmasters, meet the new boss, Technicolor Sportcoat, Do the Right Thing, Buddahood, and less.

Poll: How will I get back on the interweb at home?

Gosh, that was a frustrating, underwhelming weekend, due to me having to pester, badger, harangue and browbeat twelve year old into finishing her big book project that was one week overdue while dealing with the POS Lexmark X125. She eventually finished, I found out that the printer feeds better without colored pencils and memory cases in the tray, and soaking the K cartridge in hot water eventually lets ink come up. No luck on the Printer Settings bug popping up that requires a restart to print.

It wasn't all bad, we did end up meeting one of seven year old's bffs Friday night at the Lilac Festival. Despite our best efforts, we got there after The Buddhahood had taken stage, and ended up meeting with several charter school families on the way there. From the way her dad was positioned (stage right) I figured the bff was stage right, so seven year old and I cut through the crowd, and found them, stage right, between the soundboard and stage. Later the rest of the my family friends showed up.I enjoyed the music and the crowd, people still dress like hippies
and act like hippies when the real hippies are old and wrinkled. The kids were more interested in puppy piling and talking with each other. Their loss.

I did have to let go when the kids forgot something, and had to cross the crowd and back without any adult supervision. They're growing up!

Saturday we stimulated the economy, $160 at Target, mostly on clothing. We did get $40 back on returning clothing that didn't fit. Later that night twelve year old and I went to her school for the Spring musical, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It was good, if sparsely attended. It made me miss my time in the pit orchestra in high school.

In book news, I finished Huckabee's Do the Right Thing which had no Spike Lee content at all. It was a good read, I agree with a lot of what he says. If the economy had cratered during the primaries, he probably would have been the Republican candidate, he was the only one saying things were bad and corporations were too powerful.

I also finished Ryan's The Longest Day, I prefer his longer books. Not much there that wasn't covered in Ambrose.

In gardening news, I'm trying the "grow tomatoes upside down" trick, without buying an expensive special planter. I'm using old hanging baskets, with cherry tomatoes. We'll see if it works. The baskets may be too small, I should hook up a drip feeder later.

In brewing news, I have a basic ale fermenting away. Anyone know what I can make with light DME, 1 1/2 Zof Hallertau and 1/2 Z of Cascade? I'd rather not mail order when I still have consumables to use up.

Thursday night, after the kids were in bed, we hung out on the porch. It was awful hot, for May. The people in a few houses down were hauling out a lot of trash, the landlord up the street was chatting up the latest cute skinny tenant, other people were talking and chatting.

Then, the urban recyclers started showing up, the first in a minivan who spent ten minutes in front of the pile of trash, the second in an overloaded pickup truck for twenty minutes. We figured even if the best stuff was gone, we should check it out.

After both cars left, we went over there. Bonus! Two metal lawn chairs, with the scallop sort of back. They need some work, but I was planning on doing some bodywork on the Windstar this long weekend anyway.

In upcoming weekend and gaming news, twelve year old is going away to New Hampshire this weekend with bff, and wants to take TTR, Carc, Catan and Marrakesh. Yeah, they have a minivan, but there's 5 other people going, she needs to pick less bulky stuff. I'm thinking I can fit Catan without the box in a 9x12 ziplock. The house will probably feel quiet and relaxed while she's gone. I'm still planning on doing stuff, fixing the rust spots on the Windstar will be right up there.

Time to post this, who knows when I'll get back on.

< Is that a weekend I see before me? | Hell of a week. >
The jokes on me, I'm not supposed to be at work today | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hallertau by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri May 22, 2009 at 11:55:25 AM EST
Hersbrucker or Mittlefru?

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Crosby and Baker? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 22, 2009 at 11:58:24 AM EST
I also found a Z of Crystal.

Update, fixed this morning after I called by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri May 22, 2009 at 12:00:30 PM EST
just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Ah the scrappers by barooo (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 22, 2009 at 02:03:05 PM EST
I see an overloaded old shitbox pickup of some stripe slowly cruising down the alley at least once an hour...  It's usually full of random scrap plus a couple of obviously stolen things like bicycles that don't look like junk.

They stole a bbq grill and some wrought iron furniture from a friend.  In KC, one of them asked if they could root around in my dumpster while I was doing the kitchen project.  Funny.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I reckon each night a different part of the city by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri May 22, 2009 at 02:43:04 PM EST
has garbage night, so we only see the pickups on ours.

Huckabee is a nutter. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 22, 2009 at 05:34:32 PM EST
Even for a nutter, he's a nutter.
But he does rate high on the have a beer with him by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 22, 2009 at 05:46:25 PM EST
scale, if he were the sort to drink beer.

I suppose so by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 22, 2009 at 08:36:55 PM EST
if he acknowledges you as a real human being and not some sort of subhuman species.
I was hoping for elaboration on his anti-gay by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri May 22, 2009 at 08:50:41 PM EST
ideas, but he mostly talked economics, and what a poseur Romney was.

Huckabee confounds me by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat May 23, 2009 at 02:51:40 PM EST
On a fair number of issues he makes a good bit of sense. But then he falls over backwards to change his mind when pressed. And, as you mention, he seems to be in the pocket of the religious right.

That said, of all the Republicans that ran last year, he scared me the least. My biggest beef with him was that he seemed to be ethically challenged. Can any honest politician come out of Arkansas?

Cicero, The Republic
Also by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat May 23, 2009 at 12:53:19 PM EST
link
Depends on how much DME. by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed May 27, 2009 at 09:32:23 AM EST
If I were to do it, I'd go for about 6 pounds of DME , .5 oz cascade and .5 oz for the full 60 minute boil (assuming a 5 gallon batch) and throw in the other ounce with 20 minutes left. Use a neutral ale yeast and 2 stage fermentation and there you go.

I have about 7 pounds of light DME by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed May 27, 2009 at 09:39:46 AM EST
I found a Z of Crystal, too.

Plus there's a fair amount of malt I could crush and add for coloring and taste.

Cool. by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed May 27, 2009 at 09:46:37 AM EST
Make it a partial mash. I'd be wary of making too much alcohol with that amount of hops though. The hallertauer is pretty mild stuff and with 7 lbs of dme you're looking at a fairly high ABV in your final product. I think you'd need stonger hopping. I'd leave a pound of extract out and crush some of that grain. Sounds like you've got the makings of a really nice batch of beer there.