Print Story Alright... I'm Calmed Down...
By atreides (Wed May 20, 2009 at 11:43:43 AM EST) (all tags)
After talking to a few people, it's not as bad as I thought.

No, we're not getting kicked out of our house or anything like that. After talking to the real estate agent, we know that even if someone bought it tomorrow, they would still be required to honor the leases on the place right now. However, I don't think that's going to be an issue. I just saw the listing for the house. It's listed at $357K.

Anyone who has walked inside my house knows that it's not worth $357K. Hell, I could point out one thing that would make anyone considering buying it laugh that price out of the building. You see, the house was built in 1951 and someone came up with the idea of blocking off the original bedrooms with half the bathroom and turning them into a small apartment. Then they built an extension behind the house adding back 3 rooms, a large sun porch and the toilet half of the bathroom, extending all the way back to the garage. Unfortunately, while the original house has a concrete foundation, the extension was done with pier & beam. Over the years, the ground has shifted a little thanks to droughts and such meaning the pier & beam areas have shifted, too. The concrete foundation, however, has not. Ergo, the back half of the house is coming away from the front half. Sure, it's slight and barely noticeable right this moment other than a couple of large cracks along a couple seams but it has changed/shifted slightly in just the 5 months we've lived there. Luckily it has changed for the better but that still means we're losing tiles and grout from places where patches and fixes aren't quite required now when once they were. Oh and don't forget the windows we can't open or entirely close because the frames have shifted or the glass door leading to the pool that the owner won't fix because it would cost at least $2K and would just break again once it shifted enough. Nobody who even looks at that house would pay $357K for it. Oh and the realtor has a rental price there that's 70% more than we're paying. I could see how our place could be worth more in rent (even despite the major flaw I just described), but not 70% more. For that kind of money, we could rent a nice big condo downtown or make mortgage payments on a nice big place a little farther out than we are now or a slightly smaller place in the neighborhood we're in now.

So we're definitely going to get to finish out our lease and, if we're lucky, may be able to extend it. We do like the place. Just wouldn't buy it unless it were really, REALLY cheap. It's in a great neighborhood with a large lot. We'd have to put at least another $50K into it just for the foundation issue alone, much less other things. Seriously, it'd be cheaper and better to tear the thing down and have a new house constructed on the lot. Even better would be to emulate some other owners in the area, rip down the house and put up two houses or a series of townhomes, live in one and rent out or sell the others.

The important thing is that we're not going to be thrown out on our keisters tomorrow. That's what matters...

< Tales From The Hospital | Coming again to save the motherfucking day >
Alright... I'm Calmed Down... | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hooray! by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed May 20, 2009 at 02:16:28 PM EST
Getting thrown out like yesterday's garbage sucks canal water.

Cicero, The Republic
Yeahs! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu May 21, 2009 at 07:04:11 AM EST
So glad the owners are idiots! Hopefully they will leave it overpriced for a while.

Also, I would like to see more pictures of your baby please. I bet she's getting cuter and cuter and I need to see how cute!

*twinkle*twinkle*

You know... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 21, 2009 at 07:31:42 AM EST
...I get that request from a lot of people. I think it's time i did something about that. :)

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

photos don't do the girl justice! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 21, 2009 at 10:12:22 PM EST
she is as adorable as can be!

and we got to meet her!!!

She's super squishy... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 22, 2009 at 11:07:13 AM EST
isn't she? I know she must be, with even some of the cheeks that Atreides has.. hee hee... I look forward to pics.

*twinkle*twinkle*

why OH WHY by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu May 21, 2009 at 10:14:12 PM EST
do people tear down houses with character to throw up cookie-cutter townhomes?!  They totally ruined the Montrose area of Houston doing that very thing!

glad to hear you won't be moving anytime soon.  that would just suck.

we loved visiting with y'all!  WG looks awesome, and the little one is as adorable as can be!

You're the great ones to visit with... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 22, 2009 at 02:09:27 AM EST
We just suck... That and your Spud is bigger and more fun. :)

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

5 months by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 22, 2009 at 05:29:59 AM EST
means that you've lived there for all of the spring movement, just wait until the weather changes and cools down and the house will shift the other way. So for a total of two weeks per year (one spring and one autumn) everything should be mint. For the other 50 weeks the house is either leaning too much one way or the other.

I never really got how people thought mixing different types of foundations for houses would ever be a good idea...

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Alright... I'm Calmed Down... | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback