Print Story Eurocrap
By squigs (Mon May 18, 2009 at 03:18:47 PM EST) (all tags)
So, Eurovision this year was a bit of an annoyance.  Went to the screechy voiced one's house for various complicated reasons.

And some random bitching about stuff.

Alas, the screechy voiced one refused to turn the volume up loud enough to hear that well.  I realise this should be a plus for Eurovision, but turns out it's not.

Where was the humour?  The only really entertaining song was from Germany!  I know you'll never beat "Wolves of the Sea", but nothing came close.  Even the costumes were dull!

How the hell did Norway win?  Was it entirely peoples' mums voting?

Only highlight was Armenia, for our drunken Klingon chorus of "Nor Par" during the song.

Work seems to want everyone to work overtime.  We're not behind schedule or anything.  There's just this apparent obsession with overtime in the games industry, as though it helps.  I told them I was busy every evening and every weekend until June.

Curiously, It's actually true.

I'm not sure I can be bothered with broadsword.  There aren't enough beginners and the only other one (the girl who persuaded me to start in the first place) keeps flaking.

< Attn: Ad Hoc and Other Bicycling Infidels | Half formed and mostly uninformed >
Eurocrap | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
Eurovision by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon May 18, 2009 at 05:06:21 PM EST
For the first time in many years, I didn't watch it because I was at a friend's birthday do.  However, I was seriously considering not watching it anyway due to our entry - not so much the fact it was a reality show, but that we had one God-awful song forced on us.  Written by Webber, ferchristsake.

So I was praying for nil points so that the BBC wouldn't repeat this mockery next year.  And yet we placed depressingly highly, guaranteeing we'll get similar dross for ever more.

The best entry I saw was the Czech Republic, but they didn't make it through the semis (nil points in semi 1, as it happens).  Outrageous.

Now there's an MFC idea .... by Herring (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon May 18, 2009 at 06:37:42 PM EST
Naff Tune

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Best MFC idea to-date? by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 19, 2009 at 06:53:56 AM EST
SCIENCE SAYS YES.

It will have to wait by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 19, 2009 at 07:16:31 AM EST
until after the FFC. Which I should get on with.

The trouble with hobbies like playing in a band and cycling is that they eat into the time you could spend in front of a computer coming up with crap.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Oh yeah by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue May 19, 2009 at 10:55:09 AM EST
Given I'm not bothered about playing in a band any more, I have no excuse for not (M|F)FCing.  Maybe I'll try reinstalling Cubase, buying missing cables, and seeing if I can remember how to record things (and stuff)

Terry Wogan by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 19, 2009 at 04:46:15 AM EST
Makes it watchable for me. He's funny. Graham Norton however is not, so I didn't watch it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Another reason I'd have given it a miss by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 19, 2009 at 06:53:10 AM EST
That said, my friend who did watch it said that, rather uncharacteristically, Norton was actually quite good (the exact sentence was "Norton much better than expected.")

He got a good write-up in the Grauniad too by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 19, 2009 at 07:05:54 AM EST
I'll believe it when I see it. Which will be next year, if at all.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Watchable? by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue May 19, 2009 at 11:07:37 AM EST
His verborrea  of quasi racist tirades was not funny at all. It is depressing to contemplate that so many people think he made the competition watchable and "funny".

Good riddance!

this is different from normal how? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon May 18, 2009 at 05:52:13 PM EST
Eurovision this year was a bit of an annoyance

this year?

Eurocrap | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)