Print Story Friggin' potholes
Cars
By gzt (Mon May 18, 2009 at 11:52:44 AM EST) gzt, calves, fivefingers, tire, tyre, pothole (all tags)
So the other day I was at a dinner party and one of the guests was terribly late because her car wouldn't start and she had to call AAA. I remembered, ah, yes, it'd be a good idea to get a AAA membership.

I also recalled that I have a couple tires (tyres) in bad shape which should be replaced.

So, last night, when I was out with R, I was driving along Western and there was an unavoidable and wide pothole. Frig! I thought. A few hundred yards later it became clear that the pothole had flattened my tire. Fortunately (hah), it was one of those that should be replaced (well, not so fortunate to the pocket book, since tire repair is cheaper than tire replacement).

I wasn't able to loosen the lug nuts myself, so I had to call somebody to do it for me ($). Fortunately, my spare was in working order.

It took a chunk out of the day, so, instead of either seeing Star Trek or some DVD, we watched an episode of Dr Who (from Genesis of the Daleks) and grabbed a bite to eat.

Lessons learned:

1. AAA membership pays for itself.
  2. When tires need replacing, they need replacing. Not replacing them may lead to increased risk of blowout.
  3. I should get one of those things that plug in and loosen nuts well.
  4. I should also get one of those handy tools that easily breaks car windows. Just because.
  5. [Redacted].
My Vibram FiveFingers have made me very sore for the past couple days. How:
  1. I haven't run in quite a while, focussing instead on other things. I decided to run a mile on Saturday in my shoes. I did (7:08). However, the combination of running for the first time in a while and running in the special way the shoes require has made my calves extremely sore. I'm fine with that. But I walk funny.
  2. I was walking around Humboldt Park and stepped on a rather large chunk of broken bottle (semicircular). It pierced my shoe and my flesh. Ouch.
I don't really blame the shoes. I still love them very much and plan to do my running in them (not enough running to interfere with my real goal, a bodyweight snatch). My calves will get used to it. And I very rarely step on such large pieces of broken glass. I mean, any thin-soled shoe would have been toast.

I slept on the couch the last couple nights. I realize I need a bigger dresser and another small bookshelf. I was cleaning out my room a bit because the landlord was showing the place this weekend. I put a bunch of crap on my bed. I still have a bunch of crap on my bed. I didn't bother to clear it off. Having a bigger dresser and another bookshelf would help considerably. Ergo, couch time. It's not so bad. There are worse things in this world.

< Chaos | This is NOT fucking happening... >
Friggin' potholes | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My couch is more comfortable than my bed by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon May 18, 2009 at 12:20:50 PM EST
It's a nice couch.

As for your foot getting sliced. Ouch.

As for the lug nuts, just take the time to take off all your lugs, properly lubricate them and then hand tighten them properly. Should you have need of taking them off on the side of the road again, they'll come off easy enough with the lug wrench. Also, rotate your tires at the correct mileage. Among other things, this will help prevent the lugs from freezing to the bolts.

Cicero, The Republic
and have enough leverage.. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon May 18, 2009 at 01:14:06 PM EST
Those dinky 6 or 8" wrenches that go with the spare rarely give you good leverage to get the lug nuts off :(

Oh, right, I forgot about that defect by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon May 18, 2009 at 01:20:07 PM EST
In my van, I keep a real lug wrench rather than relying on the one from the manufacturer. When I also had a car, I placed a steel pipe that fit over the handle of the lug wrench next to the tire changing kit.

But, really, if the lugs are tightened properly, the dinky little thing that comes with the car should be sufficient. Unfortunately, one cannot trust auto shops that put on new tires or do a rotation to tighten lug nuts appropriately rather than using an impact wrench to tighten them on as quickly and tightly as possible.

Cicero, The Republic
Yeah, I just had brake work done by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon May 18, 2009 at 01:30:00 PM EST
So they probably put the tires back on like that.

Yeah, that was the real problem by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon May 18, 2009 at 01:28:59 PM EST
The thing was actually like 15" and I can pull, you know, more than average guy, but it still wasn't good enough leverage.

It wasn't too bad of a cut, fortunately. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon May 18, 2009 at 01:31:15 PM EST
Like, 3 mm wide and very clean. It's annoying to walk on, though.

my AAA experience has been by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon May 18, 2009 at 03:26:04 PM EST
that you must be willing to wait for the tow truck approximately 3 hours. 2 car break downs in the chicago suburbs, with tow trucks all around, and it took 3 hours for AAA to route one to the vehicle. And they want you with the vehicle when they get there, so you have to hang out with the car in whatever the weather is like waiting for them to show up.

Hmm. by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 19, 2009 at 06:54:37 AM EST
I've never had to wait more than 15 or 20 minutes for help from AAA. Granted, most of those situations were not for tow trucks (dead battery, flat tire and hub is frozen to axle, etc.).

Cicero, The Republic
has that been in MD too ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue May 19, 2009 at 11:09:14 AM EST
3+ hrs was par for the course as a kid in NoVA.

Now, maybe with your handicap placard you might get faster service, dunno.

I did have to call in NoVa while we were moving by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue May 19, 2009 at 01:06:27 PM EST
Took about 20 minutes, tops, to get a van out. This was last summer on a Saturday or Sunday evening.

Cicero, The Republic