Print Story Chaos
By jimgon (Sun May 17, 2009 at 03:51:28 PM EST) (all tags)
I've taken a lot of personality tests over the last year and they all pretty much agree.  I'm an uptight guy who needs order and stability in order to function properly with minimum levels of stress.  My boss is a wave of chaos that descends upon me several times a day.

Lately I've been experiencing increasing levels of stress.  I don't actually recover from the previous exposure before the next dose occurs.  The nervious facial tick I had at my previous job which went away after I was fired is now back.  It's actually worse than it was before.

I've been taking personality tests partly to learn more about myself and partly to learn how to work with others with differing personalities.  It's very helpful to identify the personality that other people have so that you can modify your approach to dealing with them.  Extroverted people need an entirely different appraoch than introverts and there are many degrees in between and many differing personality types slicing that into finer detail.  My personality type is introverted and I'm also the kind of person who needs to understand something before I can make a judgement on it.  Likewise I need order in order to work effectively.  Chaos is my enemy.  Micromanagement and shifting priorities cause me pain.  My boss doesn't understand any of this.  My boss likes to micromanage me and then shifts priorities and expects me to be able to adjust with out in a minutes notice.

This is probably whining, but when he does this it causes me stress and I have a hard time adjusting.  He does this two or three times a day it's driving me nuts.  He'll change priorities on something I've spent three weeks planning, and expect me to be able to provide some sort of write up or pre-planning document for the new priority in about an hour.  He doesn't understand when I push back.  The hour he's giving me?  It's not even close to the amount of time that I need to shift gears.  Once gears have shifted I can start thinking about the process.

Now a good manager knows how to adjust his style to get the people who work for him to produce effectively.  My boss doesn't know how to do this.  Don't get me wrong, he's a good guy.  I like him a lot.  I don't think he's a good manager.  I think he's a good consultant and there's a big difference between being a consultant and being a manager.  Some people can also be both.

So here I am working for a guy who produces incredible amounts of stress in my working life.   Because of corporate bullshit I'm pretty much forced to keep this to myself.  All of us working for my boss see it and can't really do anything.  We try to provide advice on how to do things, but half the time it falls on deaf ears.

I know anyone who has read this diary over the years is tired of hearing it, but as always I'm searching for a new job.  Somewhere out there there's got to be a place that I fit into.

And I'm going to Arkansas tomorrow to start on the latest priority that just got shifted on Thursday afternoon.  And it's a dry fricking town.

< I made a music video... | Friggin' potholes >
Chaos | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Arkansas by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun May 17, 2009 at 04:26:14 PM EST
Nowhere is dry if you know where to look.
Missouri by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun May 17, 2009 at 04:51:46 PM EST
It's only an hour North and it's not dry.

---------------
You were right by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 22, 2009 at 04:03:07 PM EST
And no it wasn't a gentleman's social club.

---------------
Arkansas. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun May 17, 2009 at 05:52:13 PM EST
Hey, good luck with that.  I'll be in Greenville TX on Tuesday....not  dry town in sight.

In re: stress, fuck, man, I dunno. A new job? A new outlook? I don't know about either of these except that they are hard work. But hard work is usually worth it.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Good luck with that job search by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun May 17, 2009 at 07:28:01 PM EST
I should look internally, I like my job, except dealing with cell phone calls, and customers.

It's not whining. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon May 18, 2009 at 09:53:33 AM EST
The trick is to find some way to mitigate the problem - work from home? Find ways to be away from your desk?

Our office has PCs at our desks but we also have a large lab environment, and wireless further improves the opportunities and excuses to work away from your assigned seat.

For example, the founder of our company (who left last week, but that's not relevant) would actually sit in his car in the parking lot, working from his laptop. His official excuse was that he wasn't allowed to smoke cigars in the office anymore, but I suspect the peace and quiet was even more important to him.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Away from the Desk by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon May 18, 2009 at 04:45:49 PM EST
Doesn't work anymore thanks to the Blackberry.  From 7:30am to 5:30pm I'm fully available.  There's no reason I should be fully available.  If we're working on projects that are in the requirements and planning stages there is nothing that's urguent.  Ugh.

---------------
Some suggestions by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon May 18, 2009 at 07:59:51 PM EST
Before I start I want to let you know I feel for you dude. I have had micromanager from hell at one of my jobs. If you called in sick she would come to your desk and rearrange stuck and make such a mess of your work that it would take you three to four days to fix the shit she would screw with.

I seem like an extrovert but it is such a lie in so many ways. I had to learn to fake it or no one would hire you for the jobs I have done.I am a major introvert in tendency.

I might suggest you put up say nice calender of something soothing for you too look at to relax when your Godzilla manager mess comes stomping in your direction. Big image I don't care if what relaxes you is picture of gladiators whatever means calm to you.

Hit the exercise machine if you have one in your office. If not maybe take up quick walking during 1/2 your lunch if you get 1 hr. Great to go hide in the workout room and run on the jogger machine to get the stress out of your body. Maybe take up boxing as a hobby.

I have stress squeese toys that I used to grab when my boss would be immming me every 10 seconds with my client on the phone with me. I would try to volunteer for anything and everything to get out of my cubicle when she is buzzing around like some predator ready for the kill.

Make sure you get enough sleep at night. Cutting down coffee if need be. If need be pop some over the counter pills or get sleep prescription. Lack of sleep can make you slower and more inclined to snap and one day tell your boss exactly what you think.

Maybe try to get yourself a nice sing it out jam it out CD to listen to before and after work. Music can be very soothing.

Oh fuck the ponies - fuck it all...
Chaos | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback