Print Story Randomly updated
By blixco (Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 12:53:48 PM EST) (all tags)
and seldom read.

The quick of it is: we had the BBQ and met Druisan plus got to see Atreides, Welsh Girl + sister, riceowlguy and a bunch of people from former workplaces, current workplaces, and future workplaces.
The menu:
  1. 24 pounds of beef brisket, marinated overnight in dry rub, onion, garlic, beer, pepper, and jalapenos, then dry rubbed with secret rub mix, then smoked for ten hours. Finished in the oven until it fell apart, which was not the intended effect.
  2. A pork butt roast from a feral hog, roughly 11 pounds.  Marinated on vinegar, oil, orange juice, paprika, and allspice, then rubbed with secret dry rub #2, smoked, basted on the hour with a vinegar, brown sugar, lemon, and oil baste.
  3. A leg of lamb from the same ranch that supplied the feral hog. The leg was 11 pounds before boning. Butterflied it, marinated on buttermilk, white whine, rosemary, mint, soy sauce, and a ton of garlic overnight, then cooked on direct heat like a steak: hot and heavy for 40 minutes.  In theory; in practice it took nearly 90 minutes to hit the proper internal temp.
  4. Ten pounds of beef and pork sausage from Meyer's in Elgin.
  5. Veggie choices included tofu steaks, Quorn steaks.
  6. A side of caldo + audrey 2 brought her potato salad, which is like crack to me.
There was other stuff as well...people brought desserts, there were veggies and home-made salsa...it was a good spread.  It was also a great time, and we stayed with it until 2:30am.  I never have time to visit everyone as much as I want, but I made it a point to talk to everyone there for a bit.  Ended the night talking with Brent and Philip...for some odd reason I have entirely forgotten Brent's username here...and I realize that we need to hang out with them more. Some great conversation.

Had a great time, though, and I like HuSi users...in real life, they're like they are online.

Other stuff: my car was hit pretty bad by the hail two weeks ago.  A softball-sized piece of hail hit my left front fender at about mach 2, and the rest of my car was golfballed pretty badly.  By the time I got it to Progressive the dents had worked out a bit so it didn't look too bad, but still.  Picked the car up on Friday, and it looks better than it ever has in my hands (I got it used, so it had some small dents in it already).  They got every dent out without having to fill or spray, and detailed it.  Damn thing looks new.

Unfortunately, I got to drive a new Saturn Aura XR.  It is unfortunate because, well, it was a nice car.  Not like passably nice, but really very nice.  It's an Opel rebadged, and the only bad thing about it was the interior plastic around the dash, which was brittle and awful.  But the rest of it...this was an XR 4, so the 4 cylinder was overmatched a bit but the transmission was awesome at keeping the car nimble.

I drive a harsh, tiny, quick-reflexed little car.  It is noisy.  It is difficult to get in and out of.  The back seats can fit my wife and other dwarves, but not a full-sized adult. And I am lucky, with a high strung 200hp 4 cylinder, to get 24mpg, and I have to use premium (the 11 to 1 compression dictates it).  I recently paid someone $85 bucks to balance a tire that was slightly out but caused the entire car to shake due to the suspension being so tight.  I can drive over a coin and tell you whether it is heads or tails.

And it is a fun car, a very, very fun car when the roads are right.  It reads my mind, at times.  But being in a grown-up sedan that still had a tuned suspension?  That was eye opening.  It was comfortable, but I could still plant it into corners and just boost the shit out of it. The feedback from the car changed with how aggressive my driving was.  It was calm when things were calm, and precise when things were exciting.  So now I want a grown up car.  A real, honest-to-god sedan with substantial power and a decent chassis.  So I'm eyeing a used Inifniti G35 X. I don't know if that means I am old or boring, but damn.

Other stuff: work is crazier than normal...we've hired 20 people so far this year, and we're not stopping.  No new hires in IT but we have some on the way.  If you can program in Java, C, or anything, really, and you're a US citizen and you can pass a microscopic background check, message me.  You'd have to reolcate.  Bonus if you are ex-military.

I hate these shopping list diaries but I've been unable to write for some time.  I'll find a groove, damn it, if it is the last thing I do.

< O Glorious Internet, how I love thee. | The US Supreme Court, screwing the Indians since the 1830s ... >
Randomly updated | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Cars... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 01:11:57 PM EST
I get 29 mpg, typically...

However, my ears really do sort of dream of a more peaceful environment (get me 6 cylinders and some insulation!) and when I did have back trouble, getting in and out wasn't pretty. (Good seats tho.)

As for grown up suspension, you can keep it, I've driven a bunch of grown up sedans and none of them generated any real sense of fun at all after a day or two.

I worked out that either I move to a city and just don't have a car, or I rob a bank a buy a Porsche.

if you want a database dev... by clock (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 01:18:38 PM EST
...let me know.  i'm up for it.

also:  music.  soon.  for real this time.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

why not just not Java? by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 02:46:02 PM EST
cuz yeah, relocating and stuff would be nice.

Email me your resume by blixco (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 05:18:12 PM EST
and be strong with the sql and the ways to connect to it.  We use mysql, I think, in our product.

Also any other languages you may know or may have heard of.

We're an awesome company, by the way.  I totally buy it, and I'm jaded and cynical.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Dude, by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 01:42:12 PM EST
I drive a Saturn Aura XR - the six cylinder model. And while I don't normally talk much about it, it's been my favorite "to drive" car I've ever owned. Only one I ever had more fun driving was the company Jaguar my dad let me borrow once years and years ago. It's really good at adjusting to what you want it to be. Sometimes it's a nice calm roady, when you decide to slam shit around, it's a vile piece of road-eating machinery.

All that, and if I'm not hot-rodding, I'm hitting over thirty MPG day-to-day.

I really liked it. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 02:30:41 PM EST
The only thing that would prevent me from buying one is, Saturn is set to go bye-bye, even if GM makes it.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Yeah, that kinda blows. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 03:11:16 PM EST
How they went from car of the year one year to almost gone the next is awesome. However, in "buyers newsletters" we've been getting assurances that there are several outs to them that don't involve GM still be in charge. They're thinking seriously of buying their company back, or letting any number of other manufacturers grab them. Not sure where this is gonna end up.

As long as my warranty holds, I really don't care. This is the nicest new(er) car I've ever had.

Still don't get that. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 03:26:07 PM EST
Given that the models are already being made with Opel/Vauxhall badges on anyway.

ex mil by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 03:01:32 PM EST
are they the managers ? Had too many bad experience with ex-mil managers. Most don't know the tech, language, tools, etc, don't know how to manage, bark orders and suck up to higher ups or the "customer" (ie don't stand up for their troops). Like that at NASA, like that at $gubmint_contarctor.

Sounds like what you had by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 03:52:47 PM EST

weren't so much "ex-mil" as "officers".

my brother got along great with his enlisted. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 05:14:51 PM EST
he even went to the hospital to visit the one who accidentally shot themselves. Although, he didn't actually get along with his officers, now that I think about it.

There are, I'm sure, plenty of officers by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 05:35:36 PM EST

worth their weight in gold. On the other hand, there is the running joke about how the military would function if you got rid of all the officers. "About the same" is the punchline, but I think that understates the potential result a bit.

We have a few by blixco (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 05:14:20 PM EST
mid-level types who were mid-level officers.  They don't get much cooperation.

Most of our ex-military guys are our current operations group.  They travel the world, hang out in nasty places, and sleep in fine hotels in nasty places. Then fly home for a week or two, then back out.  Boots on the ground, supporting our tech in an increasingly bizarre theater of operations.

It's a living!

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
If it was lucrative by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 09:50:04 PM EST

and I would get shot at, with the option of shooting back if necessary, I would be all over this like grease on chicken.

No shooting back. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 09:40:22 AM EST
And sometimes you don't get hazard pay.  OK you'd never get hazard pay.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I must get to TX by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #12 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 07:14:30 PM EST
All that meat.  I've never had lamb.

Also, is there on the job training available?  My C++/Java is rusty.  And we know how much he likes to yacht.

Click

Some. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 08:32:10 PM EST
We use some unique methods.

You've never had lamb?!?

You must come here.  I am currently vegetarian (30 days worth) but once that's done I'll gladly cook you some lamb.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
unique methods.....intriguing. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 09:05:41 PM EST
Yeah Mom was purely a beef, chicken, pork cook when I was growing up.  I've since had veal, duck, etc but never lamb.

Click
Wow. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 09:39:13 PM EST
Well, lamb can be an acquired taste, but the marinade that I use removes a lot of that flavor.  The younger the lamb, the better, but even mutton can be dealt with if you marinate it in milk.

Equal parts full fat buttermilk and white wine (something sweet), a whole 16 ounce bottle of soy sauce, and a cup or so of olive oil.  Fresh rosemary or mint or both.  And a head of garlic, peeled and crushed, plus fresh cracked black pepper.

Sit it in that overnight, then drain it., dry it, and grill it over hot coals or broil it.  Medium rare is 130 or so F degrees.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Goat / Kid by Phage (4.00 / 2) #18 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 03:24:17 AM EST
Like lamb only better. If you like lamb, you love goat.

How do you tell if an Australian has been in your fridge ? There are love bites on the leg of lamb...

IAWTP by Herring (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 07:27:31 AM EST
Finer texture, less fat.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Crack aka Potato Salad by Audrey II (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 11:53:56 PM EST
You know, I find it interesting just how many things I make are referenced by others as being 'crack'.  Usually it's the sweets but it's good to know some of my savory stuff is crack worthy too.  :)

A2

Meat by johnny (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 07:17:27 AM EST
That is a lot of meat you ate there, fella.

Holy cow.
Buy my books, dammit!

Wasn't just me! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 09:42:13 AM EST
We had roughly 30 or 40 people over the course of the night.  Though i ended up with five pounds of leftover sausage (in the freezer at the moment), and a couple of pounds of beef and lamb, and roughly a quarter pound of pork.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
If you get an Acura TL Type S by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 07:09:18 PM EST
I think you would be happy.  Just make sure it's a pre-2009 model because they've completely screwed up the styling, particularly the front.

Yeah the new ones are ugly. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 07:19:48 PM EST
And all Acuras are FWD with a few exceptions....do they have a TL with AWD?  Their AWD system is pretty awesome, and the TLs that I have driven (loaners while my rsx was worked on) were nice, but they have all the hallmarks of FWD cars.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Isn't the RSX FWD? by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 10:26:09 PM EST
And it's not like we have snow or anything around here.

I've been playing a lot of Gran Turismo again, so my mind is full of dreams of incredibly expensive, incredibly impractical, incredibly dangerous, incredibly badass toys I might purchase for myself in a few years.  The new Nissan GT-R is awesome, but frankly, it's so loaded with technology that anyone can drive it fast without killing themselves or others, so I'm not sure how satisfying it would really be.  Maybe the Shelby Mustang 500GT.

It is FWD by blixco (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 12:08:08 AM EST
and that's a problem.  It would literally be the perfect sport coupe if it were RWD. Understeer, bump steer, and a bad attitude if the pavement gets rippled in a corner that I am trying to exit.....bleh.  It is a damn fine example of a FWD car, it really is.  As neutral as possible, and predictable when it lets go.  But I'd love to be able to nudge it in the corners a little better than I can now.

You want exotic, ludicrous, and tough to control, get a damned Evo. Fuck sake.  I drove one, right afetr driving an SRT-4.  The Evo (it was an Evo 8 MR) nearly killed me. Two days later I was still shaken.  It reminded me of a Suzuki GSXR: heavy, placid until you rouse it, then it rises up and finds your spine.

The new ones are supposed to be much more calm.

Also, the new GT-R is apparently not any easier than any other supercar at speed.  All that being said, I'm leaning more and more each day toward buying an old Karmann Ghia and using it for fun, and the RSX for impractical daily driving. Low powered, rear wheel drive, and all about balance and momentum.  There is a grace, an art to driving quickly in a slow car. Hitting the corners right, working the gears, you can't be lazy. It is way more involved.  My car now is like that on a road course or a twisty backroad, but a Ghia would be like that at 30mph.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Aura XR 6 by Lady Jane (4.00 / 2) #29 Sun Apr 19, 2009 at 10:44:11 PM EST
LOVE it!  It was my first brand new car. And of the handful of cars I've driven for long periods of time, by far my favorite. My only complaint is that it's mostly plastic and every time Rizzo hits a snowbank the black piece in the front bumper falls off. But I wouldn't expect you to have that problem!

-----------------------------------------