Print Story News and happenings.
Trolling
By gzt (Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 12:00:32 PM EST) gzt, fix, texas, retirement (all tags)
So, I decided that it might be safe right now to start putting my retirement investments into riskier vehicles again. I could lose my shirt, of course.

I have a presentation on Thursday. AAAH. Not very prepared.

Going to Texas on Friday. AAAAAH. Not very prepared. I'll make it through.

Since I got a small raise this year, I'm also dumping more of my salary into my 401(k), too. It's still worthwhile for me to put more money into a Roth, but I'll see to that later.

I've been reading Thaler and Sunstein's "Nudges". Very fun. A company I interviewed at last summer was mentioned in the book as being a pretty good idea. I was amused. They were interested in hiring me, but I presume, since they didn't, they decided they wanted somebody at a higher level. They were waffling about that. I wonder if they're still in business.

Why. Oh why. There is somebody with 2143.75 as a value on this table when they are supposed to enter numbers less than 200. Somebody will have to beat the data entry monkeys. And I will have to fix it so they can't put in anything over 200. Not that it harms anything, it's just not right.

Okay. 6 minute speech. 3 minutes of it is mine. I just timed my intro - 1:30 minutes if I speak fast. And that's pretty stripped-down. I think that's fine. I should've brought my stopwatch today. My Ipod has a stopwatch on it. We have to hammer this stuff out.

Per yesterday's conversation, I'm thinking of getting a box of chocolates unless I can find a flower shop at exactly the right moment.

A friend is suggesting to our group that we consider doing D&D. I'm not really sure if I'm going to be into something that intense. I wasn't in high school. I see no reason to presume that I would be now. Then again, I do enjoy their company, and R might be in on it too, making the company even more enjoyable, so perhaps it's worth a shot, but does showing up for one evening imply tacit acceptance of, like, several more evenings of dungeon-lurking? I ask YOU, fellow Husite dungeon-masters. It's moot, because I'm going to be out of town for this session, but it will certainly come up again.

Just got a note: it should've been 143.75, not 2143.75. Looks like somebody (cough) should fix it so entries over 200 are not accepted.

Time, time, time! I have full evenings until May 8th. I got into work at 7 today. I'm not really busy at work, but all the rest, bah! And I'm 99% sure I'm not taking that exam, so I have some time back, but not enough. Well, there could be some down time on my trip to Texas this weekend, but I can't count on being too productive.

I will write.

< bleh | I think spring is finally here >
News and happenings. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I never liked D&D by gpig (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 12:18:58 PM EST
It always seemed a little too rulebound. Of course a lot depends on how you play and how you use it.

I preferred the White Wolf games, Lo5R and Warhammer FRP.

That said the best game I ever played was completely improvised and freeform -- though we'd had a lot of practice with rule-based games first.
(,   ,') -- eep

So one of the key questions is... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 02:33:50 PM EST
...would showing up once sort of be a tacit agreement to show up for several more evenings? I mean, like, I'd hate to leave people hanging in the middle of a campaign or whatever it is if I said, after the first day, "You know what, man, this just isn't for me. I hope you guys can still ascend Dragon Skull Mountain or whatever without me."

I had some friends in high school who were really into Warhammer. I just couldn't really get around to caring about those sorts of games. I'd do other stuff.

Shouldn't be by gpig (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 02:38:49 PM EST
It depends who's organising it, but ....

It's always wise to leave things so that you can keep going with a subset of players, maybe even some new folks.

Re Warhammer, you may be thinking of the wargame not the roleplaying game*. If you are thinking of the roleplaying game, then honestly, if you didn't care about it as a kid, you're really unlikely to enjoy it now.

* If you're not sure -- the wargame would have involved a hell of a lot of pieces of painted lead on a table.
(,   ,') -- eep

they were totally into painting little dudes by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 03:01:12 PM EST
Like millions of them. So I guess it was the wargame.

But I wasn't into the RPGs they were doing, either.

If you are person number 6 by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 02:40:55 PM EST
then they'll be fine. If you are person number 4, then they may have difficulties if they don't plan on being fine without you. This discounts one person (person 0) who will be running the game.

I think I would be #6. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 03:10:02 PM EST
Numbering, of course, from 0. I'll be sure, the next time I run into the guy, to note that, while I'm interested in attending, I can't guarantee that I'd enjoy it enough to attend more than once.

Chocolates is a good idea by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 12:28:42 PM EST
If you can find a florist at an opportune moment, make it flowers and chocolates.

Cicero, The Republic
he wants to sleep with the girl by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 01:32:26 PM EST
not her parents...

Well, that would indeed be the ideal. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 02:11:18 PM EST
Though I don't want to come off as too terribly charming, they might think I'm a Lothario rather than somebody who's pretty awesome in general. One must be careful not to be too polished. Then again, everybody's parents love me. I'm such a good kid.

It should absolutely terrify that, in this economy by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 04:27:56 PM EST
you know people who want to play Dungeons and Dragons with you. Especially if they qualify numerically as adults.

why not? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 10:29:35 PM EST
it's wonderful escapist fare.

True, but not unlike Frank Zappa, by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 12:52:36 PM EST
the material can be great, but the fans that like it unbearable. Have you ever met an adult D&D fan? Mind-boggling individuals. Not in a good way, though.

News and happenings. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback