Print Story Lurker no more...
By belldandi (Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 04:27:28 PM EST) Introduction, Lurker (all tags)
I'm a lurker. There I said it. The shame of it in this small of a community is like admitting you are addicted to an illicit substance to your Mum. So, I shall at least make an introduction although I don’t foresee ever being a consistent diarizer.

How did I get to Husi?
I am a fairly big Anime fan, have been since the mid-90s when I was first introduced to “Ah! My Goddess,” which is where my nick derives from. After “Ah! My Goddess”, I had moved onto Kenshin, and at the time I was fairly active on Slashdot. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I ran across Kuro5hin and thought it was going to be a great place to get info on all things related to my newest anime infatuation. Boy was I surprised, and I found it be nicely so. The format of Kuro5hin, the way that stories were promoted based off of user recommendation intrigued me, and so did the contents of the stories and commentaries that got promoted to the front page. I started to follow Carnage4Life and iGrrrl's posts; I found the slices of life they both presented to be very engaging.

So there I was, a light contributor to Kuro5hin, and my ultimate favorite blogger Carnage4Life, decided to move here, and then iGrrrl. So I created an account before my account name from Kuro5hin was taken (because it's just so original I know :). And I started to see cross-references from these two bloggers to some super interesting folks: ana, toxicfur, misslake, 256, CBB, Littlestar. Please don't take offense if I haven't listed you, though, I do read most all of the diaries posted on the site :). I drew so many correlations between these people and their daily lives and my own; I’ve taken some of their best coping mechanisms for life, and been applying them to my own.
Why do I lurk on Husi?
Being since I have so little give and take on the site, it’s kind of surprising that I do stay, that I continue to read everyone’s diaries; that I care about what happens. As corny as that sounds, it’s not just for an injection of daily drama either; even though Zippy stories and REC’s stuff have always been fun to read. It’s more like I see a group of folks that I could get along with; that I would be honored to name part of my social circle. I’ve been eaves-dropping on a good group of folks for quite some time, but never gotten past being a wall-flower enough to engage; so hopefully this diary can start me on the path of engagement.
Cheers to you, Husi!

P.S. That being said: what is this about “the other site” that I’ve seen mention (with clock in the know and stacky not). If the community is moving again, to get away from the more frequent fly-by-night diaries that have been showing up; I’d like to be in the know. I'd be left much poorer to lose track of ya'll.
< Merrily rolling along. | Zionism vs Racism - what's the difference? asks Paxman >
Lurker no more... | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Welcome. by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 04:33:54 PM EST
Have some fun.

And I think they're talking about twitter.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

nope. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 11:29:01 AM EST

since you've been reading ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 04:58:01 PM EST
you probably know most of our geographic locations. If you are (or happen to be in the future) anywhere with a Husi population, look us up. The coolest thing about this site is that we're actual people, for the most part, not just names and fictitious personas.

So yeah, pull up a keyboard and let us get to know the person behind your nick a little better ...

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

that's why husistock was so fucking awesome. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:15:18 PM EST
That and the beer. /nt by ni (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:34:44 PM EST

fuck the beer. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 09:02:36 PM EST
it's all about the ouzo.

and maybe the benjamins.

but mostly the ouzo.

you forgot the pentiums by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #14 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 10:17:24 PM EST

Actual person ? by Phage (4.00 / 3) #21 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 03:38:47 AM EST
Damn. I spent a fortune on getting this AI looking reasonable.

how about a nice cup of thermonuclear warfare? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 10:49:56 AM EST

I'm afraid I can't do that DrH [nt] by Phage (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 11:55:41 AM EST

I miss C4L. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:13:19 PM EST
He's maintained a blog, of course, but he only talks tech now, which just isn't the same.
C4L by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 11:58:47 PM EST
I remember reading his post about his family being the target of a roadside bomb. Granted bombs of that nature are getting more common; or at least I'm hearing of them more, but It always amazed me that he a) didn't seem to be at more risk than he was living in the US and b) could even deal with that type of pressure. It's sad to see his non-tech commentary go, but I can understand why it's better he did as well.

The other site is MyBook or FaceSpace or by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:30:19 PM EST
something like that.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

facespace. by blixco (4.00 / 3) #6 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:42:59 PM EST
"Yo, get out of my facespace, punk ass punk."

Yeah, I like that.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I'm not in the know by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 07:12:21 PM EST
so I can't comment.

Man, I used to be cool.  Now I'm a mom.

Wait, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 07:43:36 PM EST
Moms are cool. What kind of square doesn't know that?

*cry* by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 10:17:49 PM EST
it's worse than I thought!

Moms and Dads are /never/ cool. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 07:00:52 AM EST
Just ask any teenager.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Facebook by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 11:55:36 PM EST
ew; if social, should at least use linkedin.

Anime? by dmg (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 07:49:54 PM EST
Anime? It may seem to you as though its just harmless fun, but have you considered the deeper implications for your immortal soul?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Welcome by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 08:48:40 PM EST
I seem to remember you commenting on some of my diaries, maybe the ones when I was taking care of my mom? I'm glad you're introducing yourself, and I hope you continue to contribute.

In regards to anime, I always like what I see, but I get a bit overwhelmed when it comes to figuring out what to watch. That said, I adore Japanese animation in general, and Miyazaki's movies are some of my very favorite movies in the world. Also, Paprika was beyond amazing.

Paprika by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 11:54:22 PM EST
Actually I bought and watched that based off your review of it; I agree it was awesome :). Since I've got a 8 and 5 yr old now (and no cable); I've opened up my kid-friendly stash to them and that's what most of my anime intake consists of anymore: Sailor Moon and equivelents.

Sweeeeeet!!!!!!! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 09:24:35 PM EST
Now to collect on my wager!!

Wager? by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 12:00:29 AM EST
I hope it whatever it was you wagered on had a good enough payout to make it worthwhile to metion it :).

Hells Yeah, Baby. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 02:51:49 AM EST
Daddy needs a fresh bottle of absinthe.

(Comment Deleted) by jxg (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 05:32:42 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by jxg

Lurker no more... | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback