Print Story Caprica w/ spoilers.
By dark nowhere (Thu Apr 23, 2009 at 09:10:32 PM EST) (all tags)
I'm not sure they've got the right idea. That doesn't count for much anyway, what they are doing seems to be done very well and when it comes down to it, that's what counts in entertainment.

I'm not going to bother using spoiler markup.

At first I thought I was watching something that was trying to be Tron, or maybe William Gibson's Virtual Light trilogy. But then they went and killed off the focal character in the first 15 minutes, and got away with it. That's good, but now I'm left watching the Idoru wreak havoc. These guys really seem to comprehend William Gibson, I find myself wishing they'd give this up and go work on his material.

As I thought, the final episodes of BSG had quite a bit of spinoff-related material. At first I thought that was a disservice to BSG, but it seems to have been an appropriately played service to Caprica... but time will tell.

The pilot does a good job of explaining most of the unknowns in BSG. The technology problem, the Cylon religion, almost all the blanks can be inferred with confidence. What still doesn't add up is the head people and Kara... but I get the feeling the answer to that is going to come from yet more William Gibson material.

One thing that is unclear is which iteration of events Caprica takes place in. BSG gives the impression that it was the final iteration of a terrible cycle of events, and Caprica seemingly occurs before then. However, I think it would be far more interesting to have it take place after, showing off the subtle, and then snowballing differences made by Hera's survival. There's been no indication of where things change drastically, so who can say when this takes place.

Did anyone notice the terrible CGI? Most of the time it was fine but I caught quite a few instances where the non-CGI elements were poorly composited. Watch the observer booth during the second Cylon test as the camera shifts down for an example.

< Early in the morning | Dumb criminals. >
Caprica w/ spoilers. | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
the head people and Kara. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 07:01:21 AM EST
It was pretty well explained in BSD that they were "angels" of some sort, working for God (even though he doesn't like to be called that).

It's also pretty clear that Caprica takes place before BSG. Since Admiral Adama is an 11 year old kid in this one.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The thing about that by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 04:18:35 PM EST
is that I'm convinced that there's more to it than that. What is an angel when God doesn't want to be recognized as such. I'm thinking our ideas about what all that is will change by the end of Caprica.

About Adama, there's been no explanation of how closely successive cycles reflect the previous ones. Perhaps only very little changes, in which case we might be seeing the future instead of the past. From the beginning, BSG has reminded me of the spiritual notion held by some that we live our lives over and over until some condition is met.

Chill out, snowflake.

I'm with wiredog by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri May 01, 2009 at 08:51:13 AM EST
having just seen Caprica last night.

I don't think there's any question that this predates the events of the RDM BSG by 58 years (which is weird, because that means the Bill Adama we knew was like 70 years old‽) Even if you ignore the fact that the creators have talked about it as a prequel to BSG, I don't think "All this will happen again" would copy a cycle so closely as to have a lawyer named Joseph Adama on Caprica who has a son named William. I get the sense, from the Final Five (who really ought to be the First Five, no?) that the cycles are more broad strokes -- i.e. they've seen the robot apocalypse destroy society before. Besides, it's pretty clear that the decadent society that evolves out of the one that began with Hera is on Earth (and by implication, whatever deviations from the previous cycles are therefore of our -- the viewing audience's -- own making), not the original 12 colonies. Aibo is the new Cylon, but ours are cuddlier.

Not that your idea wouldn't be interesting to tease out the implications of, sort of like one of those Star Trek time loop episodes on a large scale ... but I think narratively it's a stronger choice to stick with the baseline that's already been established.

What do I know, though ... I'm relatively un-SF literate, so I am ignorant of many tropes that probably seem obvious to you. But, I also was expecting something different (not exactly sure what, but not that) but was pleasantly surprised by what it turned out to be.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

I was mostly hoping by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 01, 2009 at 05:36:13 PM EST
they'd go the other way with it, making things very similar every time it repeats... and only much later giving a clue that it's the future and not the past. I still kind of hope that--the difference it would make in the story is the behavior of the Cylons and that's something I'd like to see. I hope the Aibo isn't the real post-BSG Cylon. That seems a bit too nerfed. Besides, a  future without self-aware robots is not progress. It's like Judgment day comes along and Old Testament God says, "okay, we're doing this again, but without the Jews this time."

But regardless, there's almost certainly some cool stuff going on. Speaking of "God", that's probably who's show we're watching now. The question of poly/monotheism clearly starts well before the rise of the machines, but I find myself still under the assumption that the Cylons manage to create it somehow.

Chill out, snowflake.

they could still do that by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat May 02, 2009 at 09:11:42 AM EST
though I doubt they would, and it would probably be seen as a cop-out by most fans.

Aibo is really pre-Cylon, to be more accurate. We're probably a little bit before the stage that we see at the beginning of Caprica. So that means there's still plenty of time for sentient robots (speaking of Judgment Day -- to twist your words -- doesn't it feel like the way "all of this" plays out on Earth should involve Skynet?)

And yeah, it's interesting what they have going with the monotheism thing. I noted that in this version it doesn't originate with the Cylons, but you certainly see where the Cylons got the idea from. Maybe the F5 just didn't know that part of the history as they weren't there, and they thought the centurions made it up all on their own. Given what we've seen in BSG, this doesn't bode well for the human proponents of the philosophy.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM