Print Story You Got Your Chocolate in my Peanut Butter!
By CheeseburgerBrown (Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 11:49:03 AM EST) (all tags)
Roofing, termination, inspiration.

The Sweetest Bang of All

Roofers swarm over the schoolhouse like crazed, plaid-wearing ants. Bang, bang, bang! This means that the next time it rains outside it will not also rain inside, a state of creature comfort of which we have heretofore only dreamed.

Also, they have offered out of the goodness of their little roofer hearts to repair the bell in the belfry, unringable ever since Littlestar yanked it a little bit too hard last year. The only downside here is that the ringing rope currently hangs down through the ceiling immediately above Yam's bunk bed, which I foresee will necessitate a series of lectures about when it is and isn't appropriate to toll for thee.

Our new roof is red, like the bricks, so now our schoolhouse will be rosy.

We have given the roofers all the money we have in the world in exchange for this new peace. I think it is a reasonable trade.

Bang, bang, bang!

You're Fired!

Littlestar was fired from her job at the local music school last night. She was fired for the same reason she was fired for once before: sticking to her principles and refusing to bend in order to appease some git's ego.

In this situation, one of her promising young vocal students was preparing to enter a local talent contest. It would be the girl's very first audition, and she was plenty nervous. She would, naturally, be accompanied by her vocal teacher for support, feedback and coaching.

This would require rescheduling a different student's class that same evening, however, and it was at this that the proprietor of the music school balked. He didn't feel it was strictly speaking necessary for Littlestar to accompany her student, and certainly wasn't worth the trouble of rescheduling another student.

Littlestar told him she could appreciate that it was a bit of a pickle, but that sending the kid in for her first audition alone was not an option. It was, she explained, simply a part of the job as a vocal teacher.

"So you're dictating to me what happens at my music school?" the proprietor growled.

Littlestar said she was willing to entertain any alternatives he might suggest, but he hung up on her instead. He called back five minutes later to rant that he had given in to Littlestar's demands for fair pay, but that was as far as he could be pushed -- he wanted some give from her, too. In matters of disagreement, he expected the hold veto power. "So I'm ending our relationship," he told her.

"Okay," she said. "You owe me some money."

He was disgruntled that she wasn't more perturbed. Maybe he even expected her to argue for her job back, or to promise to give in more easily in the future. She's a girl, so maybe he even expected her to cry.

But Littlestar doesn't roll that way.

Since her first loyalty is the student, from her point of view she really had no choice but to remain firm. The explanation for the gulf in their views is not mysterious: where she was concerned with teaching singing he was concerned with being able to offer singing lessons. She was interested in mentorship, he was interested in cashing cheques.

And, like a lot of men, it made him uncomfortable the way Littlestar couldn't be intimidated or persuaded into changing her mind. It had obviously stung him to be cornered into paying her more, and another blow to his authority he just couldn't swallow.

For my part, I think the mistake he made was expecting her to behave like an employee when she was in truth more like a skilled contractor providing a valuable service: he wasn't her boss, he was a customer. She didn't need a music school -- the music school needed a vocal teacher.

...Which they now no longer have. I wonder how the proprietor will explain that to the rest of her students next week.

Meanwhile, the defections have already begun. Some former students will now take their lessons privately, at the schoolhouse, with Littlestar pocketing the entire fee rather than splitting it with anyone. Thus, in the end, it's not such a bad development.

And now Littlestar is free to attend her (now defected) student's audition, of course.

That's Entertainment!

Watching: Columbo, The Twilight Zone, Remastered Classic Star Trek, the Marx Brothers

Listening: M.I.A.'s Arular, Miles Davis' Blue Moods, David Bowie Discography

Reading: The Arrow of Time by Peter Coveney & Roger Highfield

Writing: A seven-part science-fiction serial: Idiot's Mask

< Help. I'm stuck in a nightmare. | Can I has lazee weekend? Pls? >
You Got Your Chocolate in my Peanut Butter! | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Remastered Trek by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 12:37:19 PM EST
Looks really nice. It's been on TV here for a couple years.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I Expected To Hate The Modifications... by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 10:36:55 AM EST
 ...But was pleasantly surprised.  I thought they kept it pretty classy (unlike certain other tamperers we might think of (remember back when Han Solo fired his walkie-talkie first?)).

They kept the updates pretty modest, and the additions I've seen so far haven't been objectionably jarring.  In fact, seeing the Galileo 7 shuttlecraft launch out of the Enterprise's bum gave me sharp pangs of younger geekism, awakening a long-forgotten shiplove.

Also, Shatner rocks.

I am from a small, unknown country in the north called Ca-na-da.
Columbo / ST: TOS by ni (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 12:47:12 PM EST
I trust you have torrents for Columbo and Star Trek? If not, I could provide.

Indeed; We Have No TV Feed... by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 12:51:27 PM EST
...except through the Internets.

I have Columbo seasons 1 through 5, currently downloading more.

I am from a small, unknown country in the north called Ca-na-da.
one more queston sir...if i may... by clock (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 12:59:14 PM EST
i love columbo.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

You Know, Something Bothers Me About That. by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 3) #5 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 01:07:30 PM EST
I don't quite know what it is, but still...

I'm terribly sorry, sir, it's this brain of mine. It just won't let up. Once something gets in there, it's just going to bother me and bother me until I get it all straight. You know how that can be, can't you, sir?

It keep me up at night. My wife complains.

So let me ask you just one more thing, and we can get this all cleared up...

I am from a small, unknown country in the north called Ca-na-da.
Columbo / ST: TOS by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 02:14:43 PM EST
Sounds like an interesting mashup.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Columbo by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #16 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 04:11:18 PM EST
He'd have that Spock guy confessing in no time.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I'm pretty certain by dr k (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 12:36:41 AM EST
Leonard Nimoy had a dust-up with the detective at some point or another... ah yes, A Stitch in Crime.

:| :| :| :| :|

Top work Littlestar by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 01:32:07 PM EST
Top work, indeed.

that makes sense. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 01:41:56 PM EST

Dude. She got fired for being loyal to, and caring about, her students. Word of that gets around, defections are inevitable. :)

Yes. But maybe the world is filled with music teachers who don't see it that way?

Another student? Needed to move A SINGLE sutdent? by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 02:28:33 PM EST
What a fucking cock. When I read this on the other site (the new other site), I though that a significant number of students needed to be rescheduled -- which still should not have been a problem. But ONE student? The boss is clearly the carbuncle on a hemmoroid of a horse's ass.

Bang! Bang! Bang! I wish for a new roof too. And windows that didn't leak like a sieve would be nice...

P.S. Please to be cloning your wife. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 02:34:21 PM EST

clock repaired our roof this week by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 1) #11 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 03:00:06 PM EST
hooray!

ps - other site?

oh, there is another site indeed. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 03:06:25 PM EST
ask your husband.

Mucked about by Alan Crowe (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 03:57:47 PM EST
Imagine that you are the student who has your lesson time mucked about so that your teacher can take a different student to an audition. What do you thing about that?

Well, you probably think its pretty cool that students are getting auditions and you are glad to be studying with that teacher and not some other :-)

Unlike you big Al, I know that by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 04:10:11 PM EST
shit happens, and that when it's my turn, I'll get the same fine treatment and concern from my teacher. You see, I understand that what goes around comes around. And I'm not a pathetic, whiny pussy like you.

Whoops by Alan Crowe (4.00 / 2) #18 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 07:16:53 PM EST
I'm going to have to work on my writing skills. I was trying to say that I thought every-one would approve of a teacher taking one of their students to an audition, even other pupils whose lessons had to be re-scheduled.

I suspect that the clue I can use is over-use of the word you. I've noticed that I use it when I mean one and just too damn often, but I struggle to cut back.

Gah! Upon rereading your original comment by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #20 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 08:57:44 PM EST
in the light of your new comment, noting the smiley at the end thereof, and reinterpreting said original comment in the context provided by the newer comment, I can only offer my humblest apologies and request that you forgive my incredibly snarky response. What else can I say dude: when I'm wrong, I'm wrong at one hundred percent. Peace,

Actually, I May Be Wrong About the Number by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #23 Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 10:46:27 AM EST
It may have been more than one student. She's not here to ask right now for confirmation, though. She's off on a secret mission to save the local community theatre company or something.

I am from a small, unknown country in the north called Ca-na-da.
Have some experience by coillte (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 03:40:20 PM EST
of people who offer lessons, as opposed to teaching people.

Most students who are in any way serious see the differenece.

The ones who pay their own fees more so.

Arms my only ornament...
It is just business not personal by duxup (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 05:25:41 PM EST
It is good to hear someone sticking to their guns in a tough situation and just playing it out like a business situation. Sounds like the dude wanted / was making it personal. Mrs. duxup’s part time employer recently threw down the gauntlet where for all intents and purposes no gauntlet really could be thrown by anyone with any moral sense of being a humane employer in an industrialized nation, but hey there were cutbacks to be made. The new rules were simply not compatible with Mrs. duxup’s school schedule. She asked what she should say at the “hey this stinks but we can’t pay you more because we like your money and want it for ourselves” meeting I told her to just tell them when her last day would be then.

She did it. No negotiation, no bothering with their lame excuses. You’re not going to pay us much anymore and hork with our hours? K thanks bye! Good luck finding folk who do what they’re supposed to do and aren’t stealing from the stock or till anymore! Ok she didn’t say the last line but that was pretty much understood.

Not at all sure if it had anything to do with it but a few weeks later Mrs. duxup heard from some other employees. All those rules were adjusted / ignored a bit. Mrs. duxup doesn’t need to work there anymore as it is but I like to think laying down the law by one person might have influenced some things at the store.

____
leaky roof = unhappiness by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 08:13:36 PM EST
Expensive maybe, but there's one thing you won't have to worry about for 15 or 20 years.

Perhaps she should be running her own school, then by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #24 Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 06:54:03 PM EST
No bosses