Print Story Pretty Mary K
Latin
By gzt (Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 12:30:10 PM EST) gzt, lunch, mcgangbang, cardigan (all tags)
Since somebody somewhere mentioned Elliot Smith and that was the first song to come to mind.

I was posed a problem to solve at work that is, in essence, a type of set theory problem, since it's a SQL question, but I don't think the question is well-posed, so the answer isn't well-defined, so I have to fudge, and I don't fudge well because I, a mathematician, only like well-posed questions. The problem is that they think the question is well-posed, but it's not, it's obviously ambiguous once you think about the sets. So I'm just poking around trying to get the thing they want without getting the stuff they don't want and don't realize is part of the set they described but is so much like the stuff they want I can't think of any good general rules for excluding them. And I don't want to have to base something on the particularities of everything because, well, those change quite often and I want a solution that will work forever and ever.

I lost between 7 and 10 pounds during Lent, so I'm barely more than a full stone less than the weight I'm shooting for (105kg). I'm not sure of the exact amount of weight lost because I'm not quite sure of my starting weight, but exact on my ending weight (as of yesterday, not the real end of Lent). I was at the gym yesterday and they replaced the broken scale in the locker room with a nice digital one. Looking in the mirror, it seems like it was more fat than muscle loss during Lent, but there was some muscle loss, which certainly made itself felt performance-wise.

I'm wearing a cardigan (like Mr Rogers) today. That is intentional.

Speaking of performance, nagging adductor pain is back after squats. What a birch tree. I'm also, of course, sore all over because this is the first time I've trained hard since Lent started, but that's a different kind of pain.

Well, I just pulled out a solution that kind of works, needs some trimming, and doesn't quite pick out everything we need (doesn't cascade), but it's a start. It might even be good enough for their purposes.

Didn't get around to floating my suggestion yesterday. Should get around to it tonight, or maybe tomorrow when we debrief from tonight. I'm not in a hurry and the subject will come up even if I don't push toward it.

I'm in the mood to read Tillich's "The Theology of Culture" again. It's an odd choice, but it's what I have. I also feel like Merton's "Contemplation in a World of Action", but I don't have it.

I just got pocket dialed. It was pretty funny. It was either a pocket dial or some kid hit the redial button or something. Reminded me of the recent Achewood comics about pocket dialing.

I think I will change into jeans when I go home. Jeans and a cardigan. I may even throw on a tie. It'll be an interesting look. I lost the top button on the cardigan. It's not obvious because it still looks good, but I might have time to sew it back on. But do I have black thread? And remember where I put the button?

I was bored yesterday and was a glutton for both punishment and a reasonable number of calories, so I tried a McGangBang. Nothing too special. Not even especially disgusting.

Okay, it's time for lunch and I got a bunch of stuff done.

< Time for a little Nina Simone | Longer music review: Why K'Naan is the best thing since sliced bread >
Pretty Mary K | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 12:39:33 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

However... by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 12:56:38 PM EST
Prisoners, nutters, or children might want to wear Mr. Rodgers style cardigans. So just because he wore it intentionally doesn't mean that he's not in one of those classes.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 01:00:45 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

An additional category by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Apr 23, 2009 at 10:17:57 AM EST
Very tired, forgot to put glasses on. This has previously resulted in my wearing of unintended sock versions, and incorrect wearing of other items of clothing - insideout for example.

Well, the point was this: by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 01:15:23 PM EST
Intentionally like Mr Rogers. You can wear a cardigan and then think, "Ah, yes, Mr Rogers also wears cardigans." Or you can think, "Today is a good day, I think, to evoke the memory of Mr Rogers by wearing a cardigan."

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 03:05:49 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Damn. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 03:40:35 PM EST
And now I hear Beavis, "And you may find yourself in a beautiful home, with a beautiful wife, and you may ask her, 'where's the bathroom at?'"

That's gonna stick with me for a while.

I do not understand the McGangBang appeal. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 02:46:08 PM EST
Certain people either rave or claim they make them feel like puking. It's a horrible shitty sandwhich inside another horrible shitty sandwhich. Either edible, but not great, on their own. What's to rave over? What's to puke over?

Me no get.

yeah, I just thought I'd try it, you know by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 02:56:57 PM EST
And it was like, meh, whatever, one more thing on my list of stuff I've eaten for lunch or dinner. other things on the list:
*one gallon of milk
*one pound of lamb
*a head of lettuce
etc

actually, wait, i haven't done a head of lettuce. well, someday...

they make 'salads' by garlic (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 05:24:14 PM EST
that are basically a quarter of a lettuce with some seasonning. They just cut the lettuce in fourth's and give you one.

Pretty Mary K | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback