Print Story Looks at watch.
By Breaker (Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 06:45:58 AM EST) (all tags)
Looks at phone.

Looks at watch.

Still no MiniBreaker.

Last night we went to a Mexican place (Wahaca for LHuSians) where they do a kind of Mexican mushroom that allegedly can bring on labour.  MBW did not find my "but we've been trying to get them out of Parliament for years" gag amusing, but there you go.

MBW had the huitlecoche (sp?) mushroom quesadillas, then the huitlecoche  mushroom quesadillas, followed by huitlecoche mushroom quesadillas, all slathered in either chipotle or extra hot habanero salsa.  Then we came home, she had a long bath and entreated me to serve a double portion.

Double portion served again this morning and still no signs of movement.  We will be calling the labour ward tomorrow morning to see if they have a bed free, and they will begin inducing (induction?).  We had a lengthy foetal heart rate / uterine blood flow scan yesterday and everything is working fine and Minibreaker is feeling no stress and is growing.  9lbs 5oz predicted birthweight.  That's a lot of baby.

MLP:
Imagine philosophers blogging.

< Things with wheels | Dark Lord Day >
Looks at watch. | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 06:54:12 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

4x in the last 24 hours by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:07:36 AM EST
And I am at work now so a little tricky to serve portions at a distance!

You're just not trying... by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:38:16 AM EST
I just served a couple of portions under my desk. The cleaners can have those tonight.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:56:49 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

What did you think I meant? by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:41:46 AM EST
Pineapple?

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:51:40 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Won't trigger labour by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 10:14:23 AM EST
If it's forthcoming but not in the hole.  So to speak.

More sex? by sugar spun (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 07:02:41 AM EST
Pineapple is also supposed to help, as is sitting on a gym ball and bouncing. I've been doing my research. Raspberry leaf tea, too, and perineal massage.

At this stage I'd be tempted to light a fire between her feet and smoke 'em out.

Disturbingly, philosophy debates can often look like that. The most civilised example that's analogous is the Austin-Strawson debate, that went on in some journal for years until one of them died and the other took the opportunity to claim victory based on his opponent not responding any more.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 07:08:25 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Did the pineapple on Sunday. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:07:02 AM EST
I thought raspberry leaf tea is supposed to soften the cervix to make the contractions less painful, and the massage was to decrease the risk of tearing?

But yes, I suspect MBW would be prepared to paint her arse blue and do the conga if that'd get things going...

That bit about the philosphers is amusing.

I read an article called, by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 11:52:04 AM EST
"How to bring on labour"

It suggested all of the above, especially the sex and much walking. And lots of nipple tweaking, which I can only see being annoying but then perhaps the hormonal anger surge helps. Hmm.

What would happen if you told YBW that painting her arse blue would bring on labour? Enquiring minds are enquiring.

If I told her that by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 12:40:54 PM EST
She'd ask what shade of blue was best.

also rocking chairs by webwench (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 10:01:37 AM EST
kind of rock/shake that baby down with the gravity...

Getting more attention than you since 1998 .

In the US by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 07:14:32 AM EST
those estimated baby weights are way off (at least amongst my friends and family). Like by about 2 lbs lower than they usually are.

Upon second thought, I am not sure I would tell your wife that.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:08:41 AM EST
There are some things I must keep from my wife!

She is not already used to a wide girth in there? by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 5) #12 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:40:17 AM EST

A proper Mexican restaraunt in London? by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 07:37:39 AM EST
Where is it?

And best of luck. If we don't hear from you for a few days we'll know where you are :)

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Wahaca by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:09:50 AM EST
Off Covent Garden..

Was 40 quid for food and a couple of beers, pretty reasonable.

Was bloody busy for a Monday night; can't imagine what it'd be like on the weekend...

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:52:50 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Thanks both! by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:11:37 AM EST
My experience of Mexican food in London has been uniformly awful, including one experience where I was given bowl upon bowl of melted cheddar cheese because they couldn't find out what had happened to my main course. WTF!?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Last decent place I went to by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:42:45 AM EST
Was in Islington.  Excellent mixed fajitas.  Then they closed down and it's now some cookie cutter pizza place est est est or something.

Bah!

Those people need to learn to spell! by atreides (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 08:30:07 AM EST
It's Oaxaca, but what do UKians know about Mexico? :P

Actually, we were a little worried that the Despoina was running a little late but a night out, good meal and a movie did the trick. All I can say is don't be afraid of a C-section if things go on too long. And trust me, you will know when that is...

I've got some left over birth karma. I'll post it to you through the Intar-tubes ASAP.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

All good birth karma by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:24:52 AM EST
Greatfully received!

Sounds like by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:35:19 AM EST
you're doing everything you can do. I also tried cumin tea, it's seriously gross though, but also used to bring on labour. I tried all of these things too, to try and get Bam Bam to come out (he was 10 lb 7) in the end I got a sweep and he was on his way. I would certainly get your midwife/doctor to do a sweep before trying induction, most induction stories are long and.... labourous. Good luck!

*twinkle*twinkle*

Thanks by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:48:25 AM EST
Cumin tea cannot be as bad as raspberry leaf tea.  That tastes like old dishwater minus the suds.  Hmm, chicken tagine for dinner tonight I think if cumin has some effect...

We've had 3 sweeps now (1 Friday, one Sunday and 1 yesterday) and still nothing.

10lb 7 - ouch.  That's even more baby.

Wowee... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 11:07:48 AM EST
That baby is obviously having WAY too much fun! Hahaha..... I don't think there is anything more to do besides drinking castor oil which I certainly would not advocate. I do know someone who did it though and it made her sick as hell but didn't do much as far as bringing the baby really well. She still needed induction in the end to get started for real.

So, I suppose you guys keep on keepin' on and tell her to poke the baby constantly, you know, try and make things as uncomfortable as possible for the baby. Maybe you can annoy the little sucker out!

*twinkle*twinkle*

Here's hoping they by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 12:45:52 PM EST
Have a bed in the maternity unit tomorrow...

*cumin tea* nt by darkbrown (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:49:20 AM EST

Best of luck with everything. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:44:14 AM EST
That does sound like a LOT of baby. But it also sounds like it's a lot of HEALTHY baby, and that's good news.

TYVM by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 09:49:33 AM EST
I've still to decide if I want her to become a guitarist, drummer or bassist!

There aren't enough good bassists in the world. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 10:34:37 AM EST
Most of them are either wanna-be guitarists, or people that don't understand rhythm on any level.

Plus, drummers are all fucking insane. Don't relegate her to that.

Trujillo, Claypool by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 10:39:38 AM EST
Hmmm.  That's me done off the top of my head.

Drummers may be nuts but they always get gigs!

I don't know. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 11:12:38 AM EST
Bassists are far more in demand around these parts. Course, that may be because drummers shuffle through bands like most people do underwear, while bassists, if they get a gig, tend to stick with it.

if you're desperate by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 12:27:27 PM EST
there's always the castor oil + root beer trick.  brings on labor, but it will be a MESSY labor.

good luck!

TYVM by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Apr 21, 2009 at 12:39:56 PM EST
Will suggest it.

Holy Shit I hadn't ever heard of that. by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 07:33:01 PM EST
Is it just supposed to create gas?

"Then we came home, she had a long bath by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 07:33:54 PM EST
...and entreated me to serve a double portion."

I had no idea you were such a poet. Well done.

Looks at watch. | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback