Print Story Night, night.
By nightflameblue (Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 01:30:02 AM EST) (all tags)
Where metal goes to die. Or at least, have a beer and a nap.

The Slaggin' Skidplates - "Transitions"

About an hour and a half from concept to this. I love doing things like this, building it layer by layer, listening as the sounds pile up into something that, in all reality, should just sound like a mish-mash, but instead ends up sounding all. . . well, listen to it.

Also, since this will be the format going forward, if you're collecting them and want them to all have even levels, hit these and dump the old versions:

That's as good as I'm gonna get them anyway. A little ragged on the edges, but that's me.

For those who pay attention to the ID3 tags, yeah, I know. There's a reason.

Later.

< Rolled in Salt | Take that usurious printer manufacturers! >
Night, night. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Not beer and a nap. by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 09:17:01 AM EST
That was a nice glass of warm milk, and your favourite blankie, followed by getting tucked in by mom.

Hey, thanks. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 09:19:40 AM EST
I did sort of go for the lullaby vibe.

Dedicate it to your niece? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 09:25:06 AM EST
Rockin' bedtime lullaby

Not a bad idea. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 09:29:33 AM EST
The truth is I dedicated it to the bottle of whiskey I was working on last night, but she doesn't need to know that.

But you said beer and a nap, not whiskey!!!! by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 09:32:41 AM EST
Best of both worlds: Innis and Gunn oak aged beer.

NYACE! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 09:33:53 AM EST
Always like new things to explore.

\M/ \m/ \M/ by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 01:41:24 PM EST
+1 brootalz!

1 + 2 maybe by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 02:38:59 PM EST
4 = -br00talz

Thanks though.

Honest opinion: by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 04:40:11 PM EST
Guitar work is great. I've listened to a lot of people who think they are good and you are pretty good. Also, the production is good and the overall feel is good. I'd download it and steal it for free any day as long as you got a new voice. Lyrics and voice do matter in metal.

Not joking here: get a vocalist and really do this on the side.

Also, the intro song could have used blastbeats. Otherwise you sound too Metallica.

While I appreciate opinions by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 09:20:01 PM EST
vocals are such a mixed bag in metal at the moment that there's simply no keeping everyone happy with any vocal style. If I used my actual singing voice, there'd be an audience of about two in the entire world that would tolerate it over such guitar work. While I'm sure there would be a much more appreciative audience if I went for my full cookie monster death metal scream that I used for a brief period in the early nineties, as most folks into metal these days eat that shit with a spoon, I'm personally sickened by the trend to go that route.

So, I sit in the middle on this particular project. Perhaps, you'd like to check back when I get around to my next project? The entire style will shift when I get there. Skidplates is the practice round, serving a particular purpose I don't discuss here as it wouldn't exactly mean much to anyone but myself. Considering I haven't sung outside of once or twice a month in the car in about twelve years or more, I'm shocked it's as good as it is. I could kill myself to perfect it, but I'd rather keep writing and moving forward while the inspiration is sitting with me.

I would guess there's a band out there somewhere that's a little more to your liking. I know there's several I listen to I like more than my own work. But thanks again for the opinion.

Also, forgot to say: I liked the song. by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 08:59:06 PM EST
Really liked it. Not sure that it's very original, but it's far above bar-band/cover-band. You seem to get the metal point intrinsically and have the ability to do it yourself without faking it. A critic who knows would likely even out the stuff that's too Metallica/November's Doom and highlight the good stuff. The melody is great, though. Really liked that for both instrumental songs.

Night, night. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback