Print Story I have not filed my taxes yet
Space
By gzt (Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:00:09 PM EST) gzt, filing taxes, drunk driving (all tags)
I am off work from tomorrow until next Monday. It will be good. I will not look forward to rolling into work on Tuesday.

Besides spending time in church before Easter, I'll be preparing for an exam in mid-May. It's a month from tomorrow. I have really only just begun my preparations. It could be rough. Especially with the amount of other coursework besides this I have to do.

Ack. I will do chapter 10 tonight. Tomorrow, 11 and 12. Thursday, 13. Friday, 14. Saturday, review a little if I should have the chance. Sunday, day off, unless I wake up early or get home sober. Monday, next chapter (not 15, can't be buggered to look it up now). I plan to have at least flitted over all of the chapters by the end of next week. I'm debating purchasing a review guide. On the one hand, they give more and better practice problems, perhaps additional clarity, and are directed specifically at helping me learn the material, but, on the other, the textbook should be enough. However, if I do end up needing it, it might be too late to get it if I don't get it now. So... The exercises in the textbook really are kind of lame. They aren't particularly helpful. Hmm. I believe I discussed this yesterday, too.

I have class today. Won't run into R. Oh well. Will be terribly busy. I should find her tomorrow, though. I should also think about Alice in Wonderland before that. Or Winnie-the-Pooh (the real one, not the animated Disney version). Or Job. A marvelous children's story, if one believes The Brothers Karamazov, and I suppose I do, and it is about that time of year again, isn't it?

Ah, Job's comforters. I try, in every possible way, not to be like them at all because they are clearly odious in every possible way. Words, words, words. All words are lies at times.

I sometimes wonder about driving while buzzed. I don't do it - but I'm wondering about when I should put my foot down when I'm getting rides from people who have been drinking. I don't have a zero tolerance policy simply because I know that somebody can have a beer or two over the course of a couple hours and still drive. But, well, it's my life on the line. On the other hand, and I don't mean to sound silly, I don't want to needlessly offend. I obviously wouldn't get in the car with somebody who's drunk, but what about somebody I know has been drinking more than just a couple drinks over the last few hours, though doesn't seem to show it and is certainly "legal" to drive? This will, of course, come up soon, which is why I'm pondering it. I think the solution is to be less tolerant and decline rides with people who have consumed more than I would let myself drive with (which is a very conservative amount unless it's just around the block). I just need to find a polite way to do it - especially since I don't think they're too drunk to be driving, at least legally, they're just too drunk to be driving me. Probably just an inconspicuous declension with no reason given even if pressed. Or should I give a reason if pressed?

True love will find you in the end.

I will have to file the taxes tomorrow.

< Very Fast Coffee | southeast asia travel blog >
I have not filed my taxes yet | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Can you offer to smoke a doob with the driver by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:05:32 PM EST
and chat for a few hours before driving off?

Haven't tried that yet. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:10:15 PM EST
I'll have to think about that one.

Or you could just disconnect the spark plugs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:20:02 PM EST
until the driver sobers up.

or just ride a bus. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:47:58 PM EST
Which was my plan. Quicker in the end.

Mass transit? With people too poor to own cars? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:49:21 PM EST
Ewwww.

I guess you get an exemption by being a student.

Well, I'm not a student by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:54:32 PM EST
Well, I suppose, technically, I am, part time, since I'm taking classes at night.

I'm in a major metropolitan area where even people who own cars often use public transit. I suppose the other option is that I could drive myself, but then I couldn't get tanked. And I would have to find parking.

if you carry quarters by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 06:42:47 PM EST
parking just got much easier. Cheaper too, as long as you can run back to your car every 2 hours.

I doubt they would be legal. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:27:58 PM EST
Also, thanks for the Job tipoff. I must dig out my Old Testament. I mean, I should know where it is, but...

I think so. Consider 190# man, 6 beers, 4 hours. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 04:45:06 PM EST
As an example, that would probably, depending on the spacing of the drinking, leave somebody at a legal level in Illinois based on back-of-the-envelope calculations, but I'm not going to let somebody like that drive me home.

6 normal sized beers? by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 07:20:35 PM EST
Only a non-drinker would not be able to drive after that. Is your a friend a new drunk?

well, one would certainly be able to drive by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 09:04:39 AM EST
Not stumbling drunk, after all. But there really are significant differences in terms of reaction time, etc. Is it good enough if they're cognizant of that and extra careful? Maybe.

Would you consent to be driven by an 18 year old? by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 07:18:19 PM EST
I'm not going to argue that you ought to take rides from folks who have consumed alcohol. But, statistically speaking, a buzzed fifty year old who is legally drunk is far less likely to cause a fatal accident than a stone cold sober driver under 18. (Or something like that, I don't remember the exact age when drunk mature drivers start driving better than sober teen drivers.)

Nevertheless, not feeling comfortable is always a good reason to turn down a ride. I think the most politic you can be is `I feel like walking (or  catching the train)' or `I think I'm going to try to catch a ride from so and so' or `I dig your wheels, can I drive?'

Cicero, The Republic
this is by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 01:58:43 AM EST
statistics like a drunken man uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination. Saying that a drunk older driver is on the level of a sober just qualified is like claiming that in average you feel okay if you have your head in the oven and your feet in a pool of ice water. Average doesn't matter much when the consequence is being wrapped around a tree...

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Save that I said nothing about averages by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 06:21:08 AM EST
The average driver doesn't exist.

But I concur about getting wrapped around a tree. It's a bad thing all around regardless of the age or sobriety of the driver.

Cicero, The Republic