Print Story Just Got Back From Watchmen...
By atreides (Thu Mar 05, 2009 at 11:43:37 PM EST) (all tags)
So, a some friends of Dredlock Girl decided a year ago that they wanted to rent out an entire theater for Watchmen. And they did. And I was there.

Imagine going to the midnight premiere of that movie you've been waiting for and having enough room to kick you feet up and lounge and observe heterosexual seating and all that jazz. Well, that's what tonight was like. And it was awesome!

And the movie? They cut it up, eviscerated it and tore half the guts out of it and I still give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. It was amazing. Even Welsh Girl really liked it. I'm totally going to see it again. And when it comes out on DVD, I'm buying it and I'm totally going to eat up all those special features and deleted scenes Snyder says he's going to put back in for the DVD. Officially, for the record, excluding the need to see my as of yet unborn child, I can die now and die happy.

That is all. Hell, it's enough.

< I Saw Rick Wagoner Running Down The Hall | I could have been somebody >
Just Got Back From Watchmen... | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
eviscerated it and tore half the guts out of it by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 02:22:10 AM EST
Interesting. Every other review I've seen of it has said that the director followed the comic too slavishly, to the detriment of the movie.

Some also said that, in retrospect, the story was very dated.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

How could a metaphor for the cold war be dated? by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 06:17:06 AM EST
Actually, I think it would have been more timely 5 years ago. The bits about Abu Ghraib and the like coming to light would have made much of the same background about Iran/Contra and the like just coming to light in the mid-eighties.

That said, I never really `got' Watchmen. It's a fine story insofar as comic books go, certainly above average. But I never really understood why so many people made such a huge deal out of it. My best guess is that as I'd been reading independent comic books for a few years by that point that it wasn't the first relatively sophisticated story line in a comic book that I had been exposed to.

Cicero, The Republic
excellent! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 03:39:06 AM EST
we have babysitting lined up for tomorrow morning!  this is assuming the boy isn't still sick as hell *sigh*

Saturday Morning Watchmen! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 04:52:16 AM EST

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
We were waiting for the IMAX by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 05:20:27 AM EST
theater to announce it, and they haven't, so no IMAX for this one I guess.

Bummer.  That's where we saw Dark Knight and now when we watch the DVD a lot of the damn scenes are either cut short or missing.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
If it hits the IMAX in Austin... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 07:14:44 AM EST
...then maybe we should get together for a viewing because I'm totally going to see it again.

Truth be told, I don't think the Bullock is going to be willing to show this one. Sucks having Austin's only IMAX theater be in a state museum. :( Someone should build another IMAX with two or three normal theaters attached. Maybe the Alamo could hook that up so there could be food and alcohol, too. That would be awesome...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

watchmen? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 01:06:00 PM EST
???

Click
are there pirates? by dr k (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Mar 08, 2009 at 10:12:46 PM EST
Because that whole weird thing where pirates are to the Watchmen universe what superheroes are to the "real" universe always gives me the shivers.

:| :| :| :| :|

No, but... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 09, 2009 at 04:24:09 AM EST
...Snyder did film all that stuff with Gerard Butler as the guy so Black Freighter will be on the DVD in its entirety. I'm totally looking forward to that.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

stupid market testing by dr k (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 09, 2009 at 10:13:35 AM EST
A 3 1/2 hour version with the Black Freighter and a giant squid would be a masterpiece. But no, they had to go with the MTV edit.

:| :| :| :| :|