Print Story I kept on running
By TheophileEscargot (Sun Mar 29, 2009 at 01:13:35 AM EST) Reading, Watching, MLP (all tags)
Reading: "Winter's Bone". Watching: "Southland Tales". PSA. Web.

Update [2009-3-29 6:17:17 by TheophileEscargot]: Am I going crazy or are the dates on all the diaries about 2 days behind?

Update [2009-3-31 20:49:20 by TheophileEscargot]: I wasn't crazy but it's fixed now.

What I'm Reading
Finished Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. Excellent novel set in the Ozarks: a young woman has to search for her missing father.

A short, intense read. Doesn't patronize or sentimentalise the hard-bitten and insular clans of the area. It's written in a terse Hemingway-esque style that seems grimly realistic.

Also refreshing to see a well-written US novel that doesn't attempt to show its greatness by being heavy enough to kill a squirrel with.

Well worth a look, best novel I've read in ages.

What I'm Watching
Saw Southland Tales on DVD. Near-future SF by the guy who did Donnie Darko. Didn't like it much, but watched it all the way through since I didn't want to abandon two DVDs in a row.

Normally I have a fair amount of tolerance for anything that's a bit different, even if it's absurdly pretentious: I even quite liked The Fountain. But found this quite irritating. It might just be in this re-edited version, but there's a voiceover that laboriously explains everything that's going on, so you don't even really get to puzzle or wonder at the weirdness.

Good points: Philip K. Dick references. Particularly bad points: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson incessantly twiddling his hands like Stan Laurel in an effort to look wimpish. Also, I think the reason people liked the dance number in Donnie Darko is that it was an unexpected bit of light relief, not that he's really good at choreographing dance sequences.

Not recommended.

Public Service Announcements
The next Dresden Files book Turn Coat gets a UK release on 16 April 2009.

Joe Abercrombie's next book, set in the First Law world, is Best Served Cold, out 18 June 2009.

They've made a few new Red Dwarf episodes, airing April 10-12 on Dave.

Web
Economics. Ex-IMF guy says US gov in crony-capitalism with finance industry.. (via). Kaletsky: G20 summit success. Canada's banks best prepared for crisis. Stumbling and Mumbling: Policy fetishism?

Why everyone goes on about that Settlers of Cataan boardgame. (MeFi).

The Many Emotions of Batman The Many Emotions of Batman: Drat, Hippies.

Video. Debris-lifting robot. Star Wars / Dallas opening, Airwolf.

< We do the weird stuff. | What's the story >
I kept on running | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Question by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 at 01:15:11 AM EST
I keep almost watching Red Dwarf on Netflix's instant watch thing. Is it worth it? Seems like it could either be a very cool and fun way to spend an afternoon shirking from home, or just not.

To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
I watched it at an impressionable age by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Mar 29, 2009 at 01:15:17 AM EST
So I'm probably not the best judge. I should watch the first couple of episodes and see if you like it.
We've got it on DVD by hulver (4.00 / 2) #3 Sun Mar 29, 2009 at 01:17:04 AM EST
The first series is flakey and takes a while to get going. The second series is good, but it helps if you already know the characters.

I'd say so, but again I watched it when I was a teenager, so I loved it :)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

IaWTOthers... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 03:49:00 PM EST
but then I too was moulded by it at an impressionable age.

Still, you have to watch some, if only so you can play the "allot any 4 people into the Rimmer, Lister, Kryten and Cat roles" game.

You better hurry by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 03:50:37 PM EST
The series expires on Netflix on April 1.
Gah. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 03:52:38 PM EST
Hadn't even noticed that.

Re: Dates by hulver (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Mar 29, 2009 at 01:17:20 AM EST
lolwhat. That'll be why the whosonline box is so fucked then.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
anyone got wood for sheep? by misslake (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 03:53:04 PM EST

no by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Apr 01, 2009 at 05:16:16 PM EST
curse you and your number four ore!! by misslake (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Apr 01, 2009 at 09:28:53 PM EST
always up in your mountainous region, rolling fours. i can't take any more of your ore!

notafurry has an ore port by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Apr 01, 2009 at 10:10:30 PM EST
you could trade it to him. he's not trading with me because he thinks i gave him a bad deal three turns ago.
everyday by R343L (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Apr 02, 2009 at 03:25:21 AM EST
It's a curse.

What the hell? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 04:00:16 PM EST

Seriously? Why the heck would they do that? I watched that movie when it was first available on DVD and LOVED it. Of course, I dig the Rock, and thought the hand-twiddling thing was kinda a cool tip-off for character switching as he seemed to be all split-personality. But I'd list that movie as one of the best I've seen in the past few years. Mostly because you didn't know what the HECK was going on until the very end, and even that was a little questionable.

"Winter's Bone" has been wishlisted by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 04:06:14 PM EST
Sounds really good.

Can't believe you liked "The Fountain", perhaps the worst film I've even seen. It manages the not easy task of being insult to New Age spirituality.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Hey by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 04:07:46 PM EST
It had redeeming features. The Zen Spaceship was really cool, and using extreme close up photography instead of CGI looked good too.
Good point by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 04:08:43 PM EST
It was one of those things where the awfulness swamps any good bits :)

I recently learned that's what the phrase "curates egg" means btw. Still haven't squeezed it into a conversation. Oh hang on...

*Ahem*

I thought it was a bit of a curates egg.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Abercrombie Best Served Cold by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 04:10:53 PM EST
I really do hope he can match the characters in The First Law series, they were excellently portrayed.

I kept on running | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback