Print Story Annoyance level = RED ALERT
By nightflameblue (Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 10:53:41 AM EST) (all tags)
Solutions - we're all about 'em.

Noise problems in recording vocals = solved.

• littlestar's suggestions helped a lot.
  • MNS's noise gate suggestion reminded me I had fought with that the first night I used the mic and gave up because I'm a wienie and kept running into "can't hear voice" "can still hear empty air static" problems. Re-adjusted and took out the remaining noise. Except...
  • Mr. Kitten - locked in bathroom during vocal recording because I finally had enough. Doesn't want shit to do with me until I'm singing, then it's YOWL YOWL YOWL until I yell at him, then he starts finding noisy shit to rub against and knock around. Little bastard.
  • Thanks for all the help yesterday, folks.

The mix I did last night? Yeah, I don't think my head was in the right place at the time. Vocals too low, too much reverb. I like some ambiance, but I HATE the vague wash of reverb some folks use, so fight it at every opportunity. Last night I got carried away in my adjustments.

So, gotta push the vocals up, bring down my "room" busses (which I use to provide reverb across the mix from tracks that are actually panned one direction or another) and re-record ONE line that got out of control. And still working on the leads.

Mrs. NFB - "What time did you come to bed."
Me - "Don't wanna say."
Mrs. NFB - "Am I gonna have to take away your toys on school nights?"

The new keyboard is rawk. Had lots of fun playing with Logic's built in piano patches. Now, if I could just remember how to play something other than Lean on Me and Home Sweet Home. See Ma? Five years of piano lessons ALL PAID OFF!

I really like the sliders on the keyboard. Pitch-shift works nicely, volume slider works beautifully. Do wish I would have grabbed a sustain pedal for it, but oh well. Always time for that later.

For cheaply made crap, I'm pretty happy with it. Non-weighted keys, but they still feel pretty good overall.

Work Annoyance

Zippy's failure has become so epic even the boss has started making comments openly about it. I believe the spiral has finally caught him. Or he's having to consider cutting dead weight now that we're FINALLY seeing some of the economic problems hit us. Although, we've been assured there will be ZERO layoffs by the company president. If the past is any indication, on this particular issue, he actually means that. They've simply instituted a "no replacements" policy on people that drop out for other reasons.

So, I'm not sure why the boss is suddenly becoming aware of the Zipissues.

Then we've got the company efficiency expert being inefficient. He's a toolbag of the highest order anyway, but he came in to his new job screamin' about how we gotta get this documentation project off the fuggin' ground IMMEDIATELY if not sooner. So we set a meeting for Monday at 8:30 to have our final setup talk. I had an emergency come up and contacting him via both email AND voicemail (since he refuses to answer his phone) telling him we needed to reschedule. I've since called him six times to reschedule and have gotten ZERO communication. In fact, he's simply disappeared. No one, not even his new boss, knows where the hell he is.

He became so efficient, he ceased to exist.

And the company engineer is being...well, an engineer. About everything.

Including the band he and the boss have together with a couple other dudes.

But I won't get into that. Aside from saying they're fast approaching the point where the other two guys just say, "K, have fun with yo bad selves."

It's a nice little reminder of why I don't like being "in a band," with a group of other people. Somebody always gets an ego about it and makes it miserable for the rest. Well, that and all the drug and drink bullshit. I wanted to play, everybody else wanted to partay. If they could handle doin' both. . . .

Nah, not worth it.

The lack of sleep MAY be getting to me a little. I find every little noise from Zippy's desk is about enough to send me over the cube wall.

Bleh. Later.

< I awoke happy and relieved. | A Little Catching Up To Do... >
Annoyance level = RED ALERT | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
efficiency expert by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 11:04:49 AM EST
Many years ago, while working for $BigPackageShippingCompany, one of those guys came around the sorting facility. His recommendations sent several people to the hospital with minor injuries. We never saw him again.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Duller story by Herring (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 11:15:11 AM EST
But the UK revenue (HMRC) got some effeciency people in. These experts reckoned that, rather than one person processing an entire tax return from start to finish, it would be more effecient if particular people did particular pages (e.g. "this team does Page 4). Indeed they were able to save £1m on labour costs, however, in mistakes/fraud missed, they lost £25m.

Wankers.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

True Story by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 11:40:00 AM EST
Our original "efficiency expert" created his job out of thin air. Got hired on the floor and just started "cleaning shit up," and then proposed to engineer douche that he become Mr. Efficiency. Created the position of LEAN TEAM LEAD blah blah blah something I don't remember. Seriously, this title is like seven pages long.

He moved onto another company. I understand he did the same thing to two other companies before this one. Created this imaginary position, got the department all set up around him, then left.

So the new guy, an even bigger douchebag than the first one, takes up the cause and rah-rahs for a week and a half then just disappears off the face of the earth.

Honestly, there are ways we COULD improve things, if we had someone in that position that people would talk with a bit instead of someone who just thinks they're king shit and know everything.

Efficiency experts by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 01:18:33 PM EST
I worked for a company that hired an efficiency expert. His recommendation was to hire him as president. His first act as president was to fire the employees who complained the most when he interviewed them about efficiency problems. None of the process changed.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Did things get more efficient? by gzt (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 01:32:30 PM EST
I mean, if he did, then he really knew what he was doing in the end.

complains were fewer by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 01:39:00 PM EST

Yeahs! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 04:22:25 PM EST
Now we are all waiting with bated breath to hear your masterpiece!

*twinkle*twinkle*

I'm guessing it's not your style. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 04:34:05 PM EST

I did have that vocal test up here the other day for it. Pre-noise reduction efforts.

The chorus has some nice singing in it, but most of it's pretty, uh, not really singing.

My style? by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 05:31:27 PM EST
Hahahaha.... where on earth did you hear that I have style? Truth is, I have extremely varied style. I enjoy a breadth of music, each in its moment. So... bated breath!

*twinkle*twinkle*

I get impressions I guess. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 27, 2009 at 12:05:41 AM EST
Probably false ones.