Print Story It's like an emo Napoleon Dynamite
Films
By georgeha (Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 09:28:32 AM EST) boardgaming, thrifting, dementia, gardening (all tags)
aka Thumbsucker.

Plus first Catan, no goodwill on a Sunday, Peddling Prosperity, bring out your axe, and less.

Poll: Favorite herb?

Sunday we went to Buffalo to the lockdown ward to visit mother-in-law ROM. She's happier now than she has been in her life, but in her reality her husband is still married to her and her kids are still young,  Mrs. Ha thinks she's living over 40 years ago. Most of her evil streak has been burned out too, except when she disconnects her roommates respirator, or tells a wardmate that she just saw his wife, leaving the unit with another man!

We drove by three thrifts (two Salvo's and a Goodwill) but they were closed. Rochester Goodwill's are open on Sunday, I don't know why Buffalo ones aren't. It makes a good excuse to go to the Goodwill near Millenium next Sunday.

Speaking of Millenium (the suburban game store) I made it to the local March boardgaming meet. I wasn't able to get in on any hex and counter wargames, but I did play TTR, which I would have won if I hadn't made a mistake getting to Santa Fe. Next I played my first ever game of Catan, and lost miserably. I'm going to pick up Catan when one of us get paid.

Thumbsucker, it's hard to beat what I read on imdb, "emo Napoleon Dynamite", complete with Elliot Smith soundtrack. It's a bildungsroman sort of film, a neurotic 17 year old seeks comfort from life by sucking his thumb, until his orthodontist (Keanu, who steals the movie) cures him of it, and he becomes an experience seeking asshole.

If winning a Nobel isn't enough proof of brilliance, Paul Krugman's Peddling Prosperity is so well written I can understand economics. He explains where supply siders came from, and their effects on the US (disappointing, but not disastrous). He also talks about international trade, deficits, and inflation. He says foreign competition isn't the job destroyer that the media makes it out to be. I have to track down more Krugman.

I started seeds the other night, seven year old helped me. So far it's mostly basil, with some parsley, cilantro, sugar peas and tomatoes. I have Square Foot Gardening, I'm trying to use it this time.

Speaking of seven year old, she dragged her 3/4 guitar (thanks flicker) out the other day and said I promised to teach her. I did, and if it rains this evening I may teach her a few notes, I even clipped my talons.

< Squigs 2009 | I awoke happy and relieved. >
It's like an emo Napoleon Dynamite | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Horny Goat Weed by johnny (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 09:31:53 AM EST
Never tried it, but I like the name. I have gone so far as to read the wikipedia entry about it. Not that it told me anything useful, or even salacious.
Buy my books, dammit!
WIPO: banana! by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 10:40:01 AM EST

Saw what? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 11:02:46 AM EST
Those big yellow things, an herb?

No by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 11:30:30 AM EST
Punch anyone who tells you a banana is a herb, not a fruit.

The plant is a herb - sort of - but the fruit is a fucking fruit.

Also, far, far more people have died than are alive right now.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I never said the yellow things weren't fruit by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:29:05 PM EST
But they are the fruit of a herbaceous plant.

I forgot aceous by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:30:19 PM EST

WIPO: caen by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:21:09 PM EST
. . .
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
WIPO: Chervil by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:33:44 PM EST
Which I put in my chili.  All you chili zealots be damned. =P

I don't even know what that tastes like by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:39:17 PM EST

it's kinda like parsley. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:44:51 PM EST
But I find it has a bit more powerful flavor.  Also, dead easy to grow, just like parsley.

WIPO by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:42:06 PM EST
Hops flower buds!

I don't deserve my keg of honey lager by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:48:03 PM EST
I am ashamed.

By the time I finish this sierra nevada by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 09:45:17 PM EST
pale ale in front of me...you're forgiven.