Print Story Whoa, wot?
By nightflameblue (Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 10:25:14 AM EST) (all tags)
Can somebody teach me how to not breath while I'm singing? My nose whistles so if I inhale between words you hear this high-pitched whistle in the background on playback. And it's gettin' annoying having to mute in between every passage.

Granted, if that's not happening I got Mr. Kitten yowling and tossing shit around to try and suppress too.

Who knew being metalz would be so difficult?

Mrs. NFB comes to me last night saying she passed around Josie Be Good to the family and her sister really liked it. Apparently she called up all excited talking about how awesome my voice is. This is not the first time her sister has ranted complimentary about me.

Which is somewhat scary. Especially when it's in person.

Not that I'm uncomfortable with compliments. Just the whole wife's sister thing is a little...weird. Especially since everybody keeps pointing out how similar SIL and I are in about every damn way. Even Mrs. NFB has told me in the past she wonders if I didn't end up with the wrong sister.

My reaction is the only reaction any man could have to such a statement. Fetal position and silence. It's safest that way.

No. Just no. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

OK, I feel better.

Anyway. . . .

Are One is probably one, two nights away from being finalized. Got the vocals all recorded. May have to redo a couple lines here or there. Have to fix up the vocal mix. Have to finish my lead. Final mix-down. Mastering. DUN. I've never lived and breathed a song this much in the process of working on it before. I'm probably never gonna want to listen to it again once it's finished.

March... is finished already except for (look below) and just waiting for a release, which will happen once I get the proper venue for it.

Oh, previously not mentioned, my MIDI keyboard will be arriving tonight to finish teh r0XX0rz. This is the final element of "my band." I'll use it mostly to add subtle textures and noises in proper performed time easier than programming in every little ping and clank and pow I want in there. And the occasional actual bit of pianolike crap.

Have two more preliminary song sketches floating around that I'm working on, plus all my old intros I'm reviewing to see if there's any promise there. Should be starting a new song before the weekend.

It's all coming together.

And, the story has some ideas spinning in my head too. So I need to spend an evening sketching those ideas into a workable outline before they flee. Maybe take an hour tonight for that.

So much to do.

Also, work. Because Zippy's not doing any.

And sleep. I should probably do that at some point too. Maybe when I'm dead?

Outz.

< Woof, woof | Good Gordie Howe, I'm Sore All Over. >
Whoa, wot? | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
when singing... by misslake (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 11:44:43 AM EST
i think i inhale through my mouth.
yeah.. i just sang a few verses to myself and i don't seem to be inhaling through my nose.

try that.
just don't use your nose.

you should ask littlestar. she is a learned singer, and she teaches vocal.

I do that too. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 11:47:08 AM EST
Then I get BIG WIND NOISE WOOSHES.

I think my mic is just too sensitive. Never thought THAT was gonna be a problem.

Open the mouth too. by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 12:47:18 PM EST
Nice and big.

If you're using your diaphragm correctly, opening your mouth wide, and you don't have respiratory problems, your breathing should be pretty silent.

Also, are you really close to the microphone? What kind of mic? Pop screen or no? Is the sound you're getting the sound of your breath in your throat, or the sound of someone blowing on the mic from behind?

--top hat--

I do open my mouth. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 12:51:51 PM EST
I just tend to inhale quickly and it sort of wooshes through the throat.

I'm using a condenser with a pop filter. Two inches between mic a filter, another inch to two between the filter and me, as that's what the whole setup manual recommended. It honestly picks up every little noise in the room though, and I tend to be a loud breather no matter what I do.

mouthbreather, eh ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 01:41:53 PM EST
not sure there's much hope for that condition..

Uh, no. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 02:06:31 PM EST
Only when I'm trying to avoid making noise.

Hmm. by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 05:02:36 PM EST
Sounds like you're doing everything right, maybe just turn your head away from the mic when you breathe?

A good condenser should pick up every little noise in the room, so you might also want to play with the spacing and gain. I wonder if there's anything you can do with a noise gate? I know we've had good luck with some guitar pedals on a mic. It's unconventional, but it might work.

--top hat--

Everyone knows you move away from the mic by Imperial Mince (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 05:13:02 AM EST
to breath in

This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
Breathing trouble? by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 01:15:15 PM EST
I would suggest by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 12:18:02 PM EST
that you are not breathing correctly. I would show you some breathing exersices to initiate the use of your diaphragm to help you... but it's harder not being there. Do you know where your diaphragm is? It's the flat muscle at the bottom of your lungs (separating the thoracic and abdominal cavities), this is what you should be using to hold, and then push the air out after you have used your lungs to pump it in.

You should practice knowing if you're using your diaphragm firs; bend over [hee hee] (like in an L, 90 degree face parallal with ground) breath in slowly with your nose (this meters how quickly you can do it) while holding your hands on your sides - like where you would have a spare tire should you carry one - as you breath in you should feel the sides of you body expanding. This is your diaphragm. When you are bent like this it forces you to use it and therefore learn how it feels.

Now that you know where it is, stand tall and try taking some deep breathes (NO SHOULDERS UP!!) and see if you can feel that you are using this muscle. Then practice breathing in slowly through your nose and out SLOWLY from your mouth. If you are having trouble still with whistling it means you are not closing the opening from your throat to your nasal passages, (your velum is not fulling raising, which could be "lazy" or actually be a physical issue that you have). (you can look at a pic here of what I'm talking about http://www.phon.ox.ac.uk/~jcoleman/phonation.htm ) You can test this is a bit by singing while sticking your tongue out, do you still get whistling? With out seeing you speak it is hard to be more specific, but you can try some of this out and let me know whatcha think.

Good luck!

*twinkle*twinkle*

Thanks. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 12:53:03 PM EST
I'll give this a shot tonight.

Cool by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 12:58:58 PM EST
I have worked (doing speech therapy) with kids who actually had a velopharyngeal dysfunction, so I just wanted to reiterate, you could have an actual physical issue (however minor) that is causing you issue (you saying you are a loud breather made me want to point this out again). This is a good site explaining some issues that can be caused by this and showing pics of what I mean, perhaps better enabling you to figure out the reasons for your extra nasal wind.

*twinkle*twinkle*

I actually have some nose problems by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 01:28:07 PM EST
of which I am aware. Never enough to get fixed, but I know there's . . . damn, can't remember the word. Little dod-dad things in there that aren't supposed to be. Thus, whistling.

As for noise from the throat when I use my mouth, I'll have to see what I can see. This is the first time in well over ten years I actually put any effort into singing, so I haven't had to think about it in a good long time.

Noooooo by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 07:32:21 PM EST
not the DOO DADS!!

*twinkle*twinkle*

D-uh... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 12:59:40 PM EST
the link

*twinkle*twinkle*

Thanks. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 01:28:26 PM EST

Thanks. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 10:57:20 PM EST
This actually all helped quite a bit. Not perfect, but a TON better and easier to deal with.

Delighted by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 05:36:54 AM EST
to be of service. Look forward to hearing the muzik!

*twinkle*twinkle*

Noise gate, filter, problem solved. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 06:15:48 PM EST

Thou shalt not adjust thine voice, but rather the means by which it is recorded.

Indeed. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 06:33:52 PM EST
Or you could get all professional about it...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I was having some minor *issues* by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 10:58:28 PM EST
Damn noise gate kept fighting me. But I think I got it solved anyway.

Whoa, wot? | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback