Print Story Varnished weeds in window jars
By Dr H0ffm4n (Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 06:14:30 AM EST) (all tags)
Tarnished beads on tapestries
Kept in satin boxes are
Reflections of love's memories

AXA and I had a conversation at the weekend about love and stuff.

Minor Midget turned 11. We partied.

Minor Midget turned 11
On Saturday four of Minor Midget's friends cam and watched her perform in a play she's been rehearsing at her weekend drama course. We then went for oriental buffet. Afterwards we got the tube down to London Bridge and the London Dungeon party experience. Total worth pre-booking the birthday party just so you can jump all teh queues. Even normal pre-booked ticket holders are made to queue outside. Two hours later, we are out in the sun again. Associated midgets are all hyper and we get a bus back to mine for a sleepover. I made pasta and a choice of three sauces and two cheeses.

At 1:45am, I left them to it under duvets and in sleeping bags, chattering, watching films and playing computer games. They continued to around 4am apparently. But still managed to wake me at 8am with loud computer gaming again.

WPKAW's aunt
Last Thursday I visited WPKAW's aunt (AoWPKAW) to show her the plans for the extensions to the house in Wales. She is one of the trustees so I need her permission for any work that might affect the value of the property. She gave it unreservedly.

It's interesting to visit her as her anecdotes are so amazing. I had mentioned previously that AXA had taken me to see Rigoletto and I'd taken her to see La Boheme. AoWPKAW's Great Aunt "O" had performed at the Coliseum and when she found out that AoWPKAW had never been to an opera, she insisted on taking her. But it had to be something worthwhile for the first opera. Franco Zeffirelli's production of Tosca with Maria Callas as Tosca and Tito Gobbi as police chief Scarpia seemed as good a place to start as any...

Love and stuff
Sunday evening AXA and I go out for dinner by the riverside in Richmond. In passing, AXA said she found it more notable that I still had the flowers, dried, that I bought WPKAW for our 5th anniversary than the fact that I still had WPKAW's remains on my bedside table.

Letters from across the seas
 Roses dipped in sealing wax

She wondered that I might still be in love with WPKAW and merely filling space with herself. She doesn't remember meeting WPKAW on the one day that she did at a mutual friend's wedding. She thinks she resembles WPKAW from the photos she's seen. I can't see it and neither could BustySec when I mentioned it.

Valentines and maple leaves
 Tucked into a paperback

I'm not upset at her that she might think that way. I don't feel pressured by AXA to speed up my plans. It wasn't meant in that way from her. It hadn't yet occurred to me that I should be throwing stuff like that out. It had been my intention to clear slowly after WPKAW's remains were no longer in the house. I'd cleared some photos from the bedroom over the last week though. Slowly disassembling the reliquary.

Guess I'll throw them all away
 I found someone to love today

< Papieren bitte! | Face pain >
Varnished weeds in window jars | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
How was London Dungeon? by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 07:00:08 AM EST
I realised last night while watching a film that I quite fancy going.

I am 35.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Not scary to people desensitised by horror films by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 07:15:03 AM EST
It's been spruced up as a tourist attraction and made less historically detailed. You get a series of vignettes as you are guided from one themed area to another.

Worth going in a group, especially if some are wusses. But not alone (as you'd get bored).

Meh by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 07:18:54 AM EST
As someone who finds Cannibal Holocaust a bit tame I don't think it's going to do it for me.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Cannibal Holocaust by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 09:13:55 AM EST
Is utter crap.  This is a fact.

Disagree by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 09:21:40 AM EST
The "found footage" premise was revolutionary and there's some quite complicated comment on the nature of exploitation cinema under all the gore. This has to be taken with the rough edges of a film financed purely by businessmen who want to turn a profit in fleapit theatres, the good stuff is sneaked in really.

My review.

Mind you, if you saw the cut version you'll have missed the point of it completely.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

probably not as cool as the tower of london. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 07:37:56 AM EST

Toss the junk by Plonker Prevention Hotline (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 10:07:55 AM EST
Sure, get rid of the knick-knacks, the stuff that has no real sentimental value.

I hope that you keep the memories forever, and perhaps some of the stuff that will have meaning in the long term. Maybe even the dried flowers.

everything becomes sentimental by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 03:53:38 AM EST
from the odd looking kitchen implements that she bought but never used to a box of tissues that were hers and so I've not used any.

But very little will be eventually kept. It just takes time.

/pint by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 10:16:40 AM EST
That is all.

<AOL> by Phage (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 10:45:47 AM EST
</thirsty>

sorry, got a new gf by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 03:59:11 AM EST
so obviously I drop off the social radar until it all goes tits up.

We'll have to work on some dates.

Clearing slowly by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 10:59:48 AM EST
Some momentos are not unacceptable IMO. It would be more unnerving to think you could easily throw away all memories of a life together.

*ack* and 'yes' by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 11:28:29 PM EST

/falls over/ Callas AND Gobbi, the only soprano and tenor I can actually enjoy? /flails with jealously/

Slowly disassembling the reliquary.

It's hard, but ultimately the right thing to do. I have an odd sense that she'd be both touched and practical about it.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Varnished weeds in window jars | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback