Print Story Austin Mini-HusiMeet Writeup
By riceowlguy (Sun Mar 22, 2009 at 11:45:38 AM EST) (all tags)
plus catching up since it's been forever...

Seriously, I've been so out of touch with this here memochatboard that if blixco hadn't put something about his barbecue on Facebook, I wouldn't have known about it.  Luckily I was already going to be in Austin this weekend, not for SXSW reasons (not my scene) but for general need-to-get-the-fuck-out-of-Houston reasons.

Anyway, blixco and laurea have an awesome home, the kind of home I would like to have, except that in Houston that kind of home only comes with trust fund kind of money OR a two hour commute to work.  More and more I think I really ought to be living here...more on this later.

I especially loved the alphabet book art project.  And the patio with the outdoor fireplace.  And the LED votives.  And the unique combination of NAD components and NHT speakers in the sound system that is the mark of a truly refined yet practical audiophile sensibility.

Good to see Atreides, Welsh Girl, Party Girl, and AudreyII again.  Good to meet Druisan for the first time.  Good to eat redonkulous amounts of well-smoked meat.

I got up here Thursday night and will be leaving sometime Monday afternoon.  I was somewhat worried about taking two days off near the end of a month before a major release of my company's product, but it turns out that EVERYBODY in the office did the same thing.  Something about spring break and kids and irrelevant shit like that.  :-)  Anyway, I really wanted to get to Austin sometime in the early spring before it got too hot, and this was a good lull-point in my singing schedule.  I wanted to take a crack at tuning my parents' piano (more on this later).  Wanted to get some fishing done (mission accomplished - made 12 fish late for something yesterday).  Wanted to get my old PS2 to my Mom.

I should have written a story about last weekend, which was the best weekend I've had in a while.  First off, I went to see Paul and Storm and Jonathan Coulton at House of Blues Houston (here's a YT video from the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lF9kW3VI74), with teh Y's and my friend Andyr who I don't get to see often enough when I'm not doing G&S with him.  We were later joined by Dan and his friend Julie who was visiting from Chicago.  Dinner at Mai's first, shakes at 59 Diner afterwards.  This would have been enough to make it the best weekend in a while, but it gets better.  Saturday, Dan, Julie and I went to the St. Arnold's brewery "tour".  It's less of a tour, and more of a stand around and drink, which is perfectly fine by me.  Then I suggested that they come over to my place for my pizza (an important stop on the Houston grand tour...rodeo, original Ninfa's, St. Arnold's, Alex's pizza) and a movie and more beer.  I believe I was sober just long enough to make the pizza without setting the kitchen ablaze.

Julie was awesome, and I was rocking a pretty good little crush on her in less than 24 hours, and now she's gone and I'm sad, but that's the way it goes.  Probably something in there about two ships passing in the night...we're always different people when we're in a new town, or when somebody from out of town is visiting us.  Tom Waits wrote a whole song about it.

Saw Bottle Shock on Friday and loved it.

I had written a whole thing up about how I was typing this on a borrowed laptop and why that was and what my plans were as far as laptops go but it'll have to wait.  I was an idiot and hit back in my browser.  I've got to get out and help my Dad with some landscaping.  Another story later about the piano tuning and the Austin living thing.

< It doesn't like that name | Carpe Diem >
Austin Mini-HusiMeet Writeup | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
practical audiophile sensibility by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Mar 22, 2009 at 12:22:07 PM EST
Mentioned on the internet?  Woah.

____
Actually by blixco (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 23, 2009 at 04:26:54 PM EST
I have the Machina Dynamica Brilliant Pebbles, but I keep them in the safe next to a jar of alien brains.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Very glad ya made it over. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Mar 22, 2009 at 04:22:01 PM EST
We had about the right number of people, and about the right amount of food.

And as usual, I only got to spend, what, fifteen minutes with each person.  If that.  Never enough time to talk with everyone.

We had a blast, though, and it was well worth the effort.  I may have to start doing two barbequeues a year.  Plus we had people from all over Texas and parts of Canada, which is pretty awesome.

Speaking of which, Druisan reminds me of every HuSi user I've met.  Very cool, immediately comfortable.  Some day I'll have to make it up to Canada, darn it.

And I'd all but given up on Atreides and Welsh Girl.  Damn fine to see them; they're two of our favorite people, and Welsh Girl's sister is pretty damn awesome.

Right then!  Back to cleaning up / sleeping it off.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Was it even *in* theaters? by buttercup (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Mar 23, 2009 at 01:16:57 PM EST
What a coincidence! George and I watched Bottle Shock last night on Netflix Instant. How did I never hear about a movie with a cast like that?

"Too slow, Chicken Merengo!" — Cat
My parents saw it in a theatre by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 06:31:45 AM EST
It was only in one Austin theatre (and not one of the art house ones...can't remember).  Yeah, not a whole lot of publicity for that one when it came out.  Don't know why, it was awesome.

Houston Housing by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 23, 2009 at 05:45:22 PM EST
I think you are quite confused about Houston housing.  Our home is at the same base level of blixco's (note: he and the Dr. have put a ton of elbow grease upgrades into theirs, so it's cooler), and the only 2 hour commute we have is maybe the beach on a holiday weekend.  It took me 30 minutes to drive to 610 & 288 when I worked (40 minutes if I took public transport), and it takes clock 40 minutes to get to Sugarland for his job.  We did not pay a king's ransom for this house - I paid $113 when it was new, and I'd put it on the market for $120 today.

Or, maybe you're not confused, you just are dead set on an expensive area of town and haven't looked beyond it.  If that's the case, you really need to expand your view a bit.

I need different hobbies by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 07:07:04 AM EST
Almost everything I do is tied, in one way or another, to a) Rice University, b) the Episcopal Church, or c) the Houston Western Art Music scene.  All of those entities are associated with trust-fund kind of money.  Yeah, my expectations may have been warped somewhat.

Anyway, more on this topic in a soon-to-be-forthcoming diary.

Austin Mini-HusiMeet Writeup | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback