Print Story Hulver.com hosting
HuSi
By hulver (Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 09:49:24 AM EST) (all tags)
I need to find a new host for hulver.com as soon as possible.

The server we're hosted with at the moment is getting a bit long in the tooth. Accordingly, hillct of scoophost.com needs to turn it off.

We paid for the server at the end of 2004. £1200 for over 4 years hosting is a pretty good deal. scoophost has taken the decision to move off the server that we helped pay for because it's having too many hardware problems.

The agreement from 2005 was that your one time payment would pay for hosting for the life of the hardware. At this point it's had a motherboard replacement, CPU and RAM replacements and now it's having SCSI bus problems so the decision has been made to decommission it. The regular clients (all with relatively small sites, using the standard codebase) will be moved to our other servers but at this point we don't have capacity to dedicate a  box or deploy a vserver for your site on the other servers. I can certainly help you move the site to any virtual server or dedicated server provider you select.

So, I need to find a new place to host us all.

Specs for the machine we need to host HuSi. In a week.

At least 3 gb disk space.
2 gb of memory.
A cpu (any modern cpu will do)

I'm not sure about the bandwidth requirements yet. I'm going to do some log file analysis and I'll update the story then.

Any ideas?

< PS4 musing, part 3 - Larrabee | We're back. >
Hulver.com hosting | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
At work by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 09:59:14 AM EST
We use slicehost, and I've been really happy with them. They virtual servers that guarantee the amount of ram and cpu slice that you pay for, but give you more if other people on the server aren't using it.

I'm not sure if it'll end up costing too much with ad revenues being down as much as they are, though.

Vive le Montréal libre.

bytemark.co.uk by gpig (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:02:27 AM EST
I've used their virtual server product for a while, and they have good documentation for their services and responsive support. Their virtual servers only go to 600MB memory though, so you'd have to go dedicated.

Looks like their cheapest dedicated server comes in at £660 a year:

An upgrade to 2GB RAM plus an extra disk (presuming you want to go RAID-1) brings that to £770/year.

Includes backup space, monitoring, 200GB/month network transfer.
(,   ,') -- eep

I've used them myself by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:38:33 AM EST
I had a small VM with them for some time. It didn't get much use, but I never had a problem with it.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
So... by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:06:53 AM EST
Scoophost, a site designed to host Scoop sites no longer wants to deploy your scoop site.

I sympathize with the need to decommission old hardware, but.....This is stupid.

I will contribute money to help with new hosting.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
As will I (contribute $$ that is). by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:11:45 AM EST
I get the husi takes up quite a bit of resources, but a week is really friggin' short notice.

To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
/me seconds the $ contribution part [nt] by R343L (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:17:06 AM EST

Husi has got custom scoop code by hulver (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:33:21 AM EST
It's not something that's easy to host.

Scoophost hosts scoop sites using a shared code between all the sites, so all the sites can be hosted in one machine.

To host Husi you've got to set up a virtual machine with all the pain that causes. I understand his reasons for doing it, and like I said we've had a good deal out of it over the last 4 years.

I'd rather have more than a week to find a new hosting service, but life's a bitch sometimes. If the SCSI adapter is going bad we could have less time.

I think I might up the backup frequency from more than once per day.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Maybe if Scoop weren't a broken piece of crap by fluffy (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Mar 16, 2009 at 08:44:17 PM EST
and allowed some sort of modularity or plugins or whatever

busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution
Heh by hulver (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 17, 2009 at 02:41:02 AM EST
Yep. That would be good.

I know Coryking did a plugin thing for it, but it never got merged. I think he sent me the code somewhere.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

lord knows where it went by coryking (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon May 04, 2009 at 07:23:13 PM EST
 and holy crap you added a rich text editor too!

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

like drupal? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 11:02:39 PM EST
shudders

Click
Drupal takes it a bit too far by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Apr 23, 2009 at 06:08:49 PM EST
I was thinking more like Movable Type or WordPress.

busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution
PM, gchat, or AIM me for more by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:15:10 AM EST
But I might be able to help out with something. Making inquiries now.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

er, I fail at giving all the info by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:16:25 AM EST
AIM: CptTenille
gchat: jbingham

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

I'm willing to help by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:17:22 AM EST
Cash or time*. Don't have any hookups on hosting space right now.

*I get paid to be a SysAdmin, so if you need extra eyes/remote hands I'm willing to help.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

Hardware! by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:25:01 AM EST
Just realized I have a spare 1u server, if you want physical hardware. Dual P4, a few Gb RAM, dual SATA drives, adaptec RAID. would have to get it out of the closet if you want more info.
Free if you want it.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
I have some FC stuff by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:39:33 AM EST
I think its 300gb external FC storage.  I would donate that.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
I have neither Loonix nor Scoop chops by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 10:45:13 AM EST
But put me down as cast iron for 50 notes if needed.

Hulver.com hosting | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback