Print Story I feel icky, with photos, but not photos of icky
By duxup (Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 07:52:31 PM EST) (all tags)
Trip to the doctor
Think'n about babies
Mrs. duxup working too hard
Weather
Not enjoying time off, wtf
Photos, with photos

Check Up

Got my checkup recently at the MD.  All is good, but mostly that all seems to be from data that they gather from me verbally.  Laying off the crack seems to have helped.  I'm still waiting for the day they scan me with some medical beam that gathers all the info they need so that such a visit really does make me feel better than when I came in.

Babies

Mrs. duxup stopped taking the pill about late last summer early fall maybe.  We're not "trying" so to speak, just seeing how it goes.  She's somewhat concerned a baby hasn't just showed up yet.  Her concerns are heightened by some personal medical history and generally worrisome character.

Mrs. duxup School

Mrs. duxup is getting her masters in an education related field.  The classes involve a lot of work.  First I suggested Mrs. duxup take another day off from her part time job, now I'm suggesting she quit altogether.  We can survive on just my income.  Mrs. duxup is inclined to ignore my advice.  Mrs. duxup has some sort of deep self punishing sub routine I swear it.

Weather

Two days ago we had some rain, then heavy wet snow.  I managed to shovel off the heavy wet snow before some serious cold hit the area.  We've had some serious swings in temperature this winter.  Tonight there is a weird noise coming from the roof.  Sort of like a what a long wire would make jiggling around.  I was thinking some sort of ice dam on the roof but last night was the first night after the heavy wet snow when everything froze again and our was clear last I saw.  Maybe something got into the attic like a bird.  I'll have to see in the morning I guess.

Time Off

I've got gratuitous amount of time off from work right now.  Somehow I'm totally in a foreboding mood too.  I don't know why.  I don't get it.  I've been exercising more... that usually makes me feel better.  It should warm up this Saturday quite nicely.  Mrs. duxup are going to go to St. Paul to the science museum, catch a couple Omni Theater shows and go eat.  I hope that helps.  Don't know why I feel so uneasy.  I do not like it at all.

Photos

Posted some old photos I took on flickr.  Let's see if I can make this work on Husi

< 2009-03-11 | Ask Husi: Is it child abuse to expose a tween to the Wheel of Time? >
I feel icky, with photos, but not photos of icky | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Mmmmmmammatus. by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Mar 12, 2009 at 01:53:46 AM EST
Yum.

It took MBW and I by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Mar 12, 2009 at 03:59:36 AM EST
Over 18 months for my swimmers to break in.

Apparently 2 years is not uncommon, and in UKia at least, fertility professionals won't even give you the time of day unless you've been trying for at least 2 years.

So, it'll happen, just keep serving the portions with a mind on her menstrual cycle.

My swimmers by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Mar 17, 2009 at 12:01:05 PM EST
Just can't wait to get out there and fertilize. I have to be v careful. Usually takes me about 15 seconds.

</bragging>

Getting knocked up. . . by BaconAndWaffles (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Mar 12, 2009 at 05:45:03 AM EST
There is a really weird transition from "OMG, I don't want to get pregnant" to "I want a baby (now)".  My wife was shocked it did not happen for us immediately - she was so indoctrinated to "don't have unprotected sex" that she almost assumed any unprotected sex would yield results on the first attempt.  We were lucky that our first only took a few months, but we have had more difficulty with having a second.

Good luck, and enjoy the nookie!

When we went through that by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Mar 12, 2009 at 07:12:25 AM EST
The general rule of thumb seemed to be "don't get worried until it's been at least a year". I don't remember the exact number, but at one point our fertility doctor told us that completely healthy, fertile as the Tennessee Valley couples have something like a 20-25% chance of getting pregnant in any given month (again that number might not be right but I remember it was shockingly low).

Also keep in mind a couple of things:

- Stress has a lot to do with the process. Anecdotally, I know one couple that spent the better part of a year trying with no success while they were both living ~1500 miles away from "home" (the area they both grew up) working stressful jobs, especially her. They move back to this area, she doesn't go back to work right away, and is knocked up inside of 3 months.

- There are a lot of what they call "Chlomed babies" out there, meaning that often the solution is just to kick start the ovaries with pills you take a couple weeks before the magic time.

we were told by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 12, 2009 at 10:33:30 AM EST
it could easily take up to 2 years fo rme to get pregnant, since i had been on the pill for 10.

IF you had been told this same thing, and had been put in the mindset of not getting pregnant any time soon, you'd already be pregnant.  because you were told, it will take a while.

An Expert Writes... by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Mar 12, 2009 at 12:28:24 PM EST
Mr Minimouse took about 2 years; our attitude was not so much "we want a child" as "we don't mind if one just happens".
Miss Minimouse was a bit of a surprise, we'd planned on having a second, but not just 14 months after the first.

MusicMouse was a result of someone deliberately stopping taking the pill and not telling me, and by previous standards happened pretty rapidly; probably only a month after stopping.

All I can say is pregnancy is a hit and miss affair and the less you expect it, the more likely it is to happen.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL