Print Story Awesome Homemade Breakfast
Food
By codemonkey uk (Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 12:50:13 AM EST) (all tags)
On Monday mornings I get up very early.  Too early to eat.  By the time I get to Waterloo, though, I am hungry, so I often buy breakfast at the station, then eat it on the train to Portsmouth.  For a long time that breakfast was a bagel, but the overcooked egg was often flavourless and when the Moma stand opened I was happy to switch.  Last Monday the "adverse weather conditions" meant no Moma stand, and thus no breakfast for me, which got me thinking:  I could make that stuff myself.

To be prepared the day before.  You will need:

• Rolled Oats (1 cup per serving)
  • Apple Juice (approximately 1 cup)
  • Yoghurt (plain or fruity)
  • Fruit (if plain yoghurt is used)
  • A pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg (as preferred, if plain yoghurt is used)

Prepare in two stages:

1. Place the oats in a Tupperware container and cover with apple juice, and leave to soak.
  2. Once the juice has been absorbed by the oats, stir on a few spoons of the yoghurt, fruit, and cinnamon, and leave in the fridge over night.

I used plain Greek-style low-fat yoghurt and added a few raisins, dried cherries, and a pinch of cinnamon for flavour, but I'm sure a flavoured yoghurt would work just as well.

The result looks a lot like porridge, and is a very yummy healthy breakfast.

Enjoy!

< sewing stuff | "1991 Tokyo Motor & Model Show - #3" >
Awesome Homemade Breakfast | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Sounds like by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 12:56:27 AM EST
...swiss birchermuesli. I tend to eat it for lunch rather than breakfast though. Fruit is generally grated apple as a minimum, with fruit-of-the-forest type berries if I want to turn it bright pink.

That's what I was going to suggest by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 05:43:14 AM EST
Sounds a lot like muselix..

That sounds pretty f****ing good by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 01:13:46 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Error - does not contain black pudding by Herring (3.66 / 3) #3 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 01:43:32 AM EST
The cornerstone of a nutritious breakfast.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
/s/blackpudding/bacon by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 02:35:27 AM EST
Fixed that for you.

Think outside the box... by bobdole (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 02:42:09 AM EST
... everything is better with bacon.

-- The revolution will not be televised.
racist (nt) by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 04:01:34 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Greek-style yoghurt by debacle (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 02:56:58 PM EST
How can I get my hands on that?

Live in a civilised country? by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 10:44:04 PM EST
It's very popular here, it's usually stocked along side the other yoghurts in normal supermarkets.

--- Thad ---