Print Story I believe it all began. . .
By nightflameblue (Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 05:02:10 AM EST) (all tags)
...when Mrs. NFB proclaimed loudly, "I'm drinking a whole bottle myself! Wine doesn't make me drunk."

No wait, that was actually weirdness, step number two.

OK, weirding me out a bit here.

Around Thursday/Friday I wrote a bit where she refers to him continuously as "silly man" because he is, in fact, being ridiculously silly.

Sunday Mrs. NFB starts calling me silly man.

Coincidence? It would be if I'd been being particularly silly at the time.

Friday/Saturday I wrote a bit where she got a little tipsy by drinking a bottle and a half of wine with him, him taking the other half bottle. She's a little bit of a girl and he's a big guy. She got schnockered, he was pretty well off. She asked to lay down because she wasn't feeling well and wanted him there. He said OK cause they spent so much time in physical closeness it didn't bother him.

She went crazy and tried to jump him. Luckily for him, he's bigger and stronger. He managed to get away. He had to fight himself to do it, so wanting what she offered, but he did because he wouldn't take advantage of her.

Sunday night, Mrs. NFB finishes her bottle and says she wants to go lay down because she's not feeling so great and she wanted me there. She jumped me.

Not that I tried to fight her off very hard.

But you see what I'm gettin' at here?

I told her once she sobered up a bit and she said, "damn, you're gonna start thinking I'm reading that thing."

Except, I know she hasn't. At least, not that part. Not yet.

Weird. Weird.

So then I had a crisis of faith. I told her not to let me go back to my office because the chances were high I'd just delete the whole fucking thing. Too many branchpoints started crossing in my mind. Too many questions.

Oh, it started simply enough. "Maybe they don't have to make it to that trip?"

Except, if I say that then there's at least a dozen, probably hundreds of other points where the story could turn. Which of those do I allow them to have their moment?

Her Sixteen, that date. She pushed him away. What if she hadn't?

His Seventeen, the date she gives him to try and make up for pushing him away. Does she follow through with the plan she had to really make it up to him?

The night he calls her after that terrible, terrible day. The night he tells her he'd like to have a moment with her, some bright spot in the day. She hangs up and is at his door before he has time to question why. Do the floodgates open? Or does she give him his moment, tell him he could have one any time he needs, and then walk away again?

Ten months apart, the only time apart in their entire lives. When she finally can't take it anymore and runs to him, does she tell him why? Does he tell her how damn hard it was to leave, despite the golden opportunity in front of him? Do they take their moment then?

First night she drinks a little too much with her new roomates and spills her guts about him. The next day the one roomate that actually seems to care talks with her, convinces her to go to him. Does she talk? Does she tell him? Or does her courage give out at the last second like it has so many times before?

The perfect symmetry of that date? Seven years passed between them, he sweeps her off her feet yet again. When he asks if there's anything else she wants that could make her night better, does she tell him?

That day she gave him to thank him for that amazing date. The moment alone on the ferris wheel, when she told him he'd handed her a fantasy, and she would love to have the chance to hand him one if he'd just tell her what he wanted. Would he tell her?

The blues club, her dedication gone wrong, her flipping out because the entire club thought they were together, and she didn't want him to feel trapped. Him calmly telling her he didn't care who thought what about them. Does he tell her why it doesn't bother him?

So many moments alone, talking, finding ways to drop subtle hints. Which hint is one too many?

"I'm glad I have better taste in men than my sister," and she plants a hesitant kiss on his cheek.
He smiles back at her warmly, "So, I'm men now?"

The story could come to fruition a thousand, a million different ways. But this ain't no choose your own adventure. It's a decision that needs to be made. If I let them make it, it would be sweet sixteen, their whole lives still ahead of them together. If I made the decision, it would be twenty-eight, that trip to her grandmother's funeral. I talked about, while a little schnicker-doodled with Mrs. NFB. She doesn't believe two people in love could hold it off that long. But then, she reminded me on our second date we were pawing each other like a couple of horny teenagers, so maybe we're not the best judges for that sort of thing.

Raised so close they almost feel they're brother and sister at times, the tension between these two is a little more understandable. But they aren't brother and sister, and the ties that pull them together won't leave the two alone. How long would they fight it? How long would they try to stop it?

I'm setting it aside for a day or maybe two. Not much more than that. Decisions need to be made. I think I'll finish the resolution point they've been hovering around over the last week. I'll let them have this moment. Then maybe I can set it aside and write the story I feel they deserve. Maybe all these flashbacks are the story that should be told? Maybe the resolution isn't as far away from them as I thought?

Or maybe I'm just still drunk.

< "1991 Tokyo Motor & Model Show - #3" | Back to black >
I believe it all began. . . | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It sounds like by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 05:16:28 AM EST
you've stepped through.... The Strange Door. There could be floating clocks or other strange things could happen.
Perhaps you should try writing out a fantasy and see if it plays out. If so, let me know, I would like a horse... you know, you could just maybe write that in when you have time...

*twinkle*twinkle*

This is the fifth time. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 05:32:02 AM EST
I've written a scene between these two characters and Mrs. NFB pushes to make that scene almost happen between us. The first one was her saying she wanted to sit on my lap for the first time in YEARS after I started writing about the main characters doing that.

Now, we'll have to map you into the story if you want a horse. Which better fits you:

• Short, petite blonde, bit brassy, sometimes abrasive, sleeps around.
  • Almost amazonian, dark hair, hangs with short blonde above, bitchy as all get out, swears like a sailor and tends to be a bit trashy.
  • Jen's older sister - supportive, though confused at times. Bad at relationships.

All applications accepted. I'm rooting for Jen's older sister. She has a hard life and should get something cool. I could totally see her getting a horse too.

This is tough..... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 08:27:42 AM EST
My initial feelings would be either of the first two... hahaha... it's only cause just being supportive and confused sounds wimpy to me. I mean, maybe she's not, but you know, that's the feeling I get from that little info. I'd like the second one the best, but it' too bad I' have to be a total bitch... can't I just swear and be trashy? I mean, that's kind of a bitchy feel right there without having to go all the way and make it everything bad. I leave it in your capable hands... I know that you will deal with it approprately, I am just happy at a chance for a new horse!

*twinkle*twinkle*

Supportive and confused isn't wimpy. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 08:48:03 AM EST
She has to be tough because she sticks herself in bad situations.

And honestly, the total bitch has a moment where she has a breakdown and the bitchiness kind of smooths over. Somewhat. She still swears constantly.

Hmmm by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 11:52:21 AM EST
That may actually sound a bit like me... except I swore like a sailor before children. Now I say ridiculous non-swear words like doodle. It makes me sound very sophisticated.

*twinkle*twinkle*

Plot bunnies by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 06:01:53 AM EST
Minor midget writes. She says she has to be careful of plot bunnies. Ideas that pop up and she has to squash. Sometimes you leave them around. bouncing in the background because you might use them. They're cute and all, so you feel bad squashing them, but if you don't, well pretty soon you can be overrun with the things. She's too imaginative by half and has to be careful not to sabotage a good story with ideas.

The other alternative... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 06:14:57 AM EST
...is to go post-modern. But then you might have to squash your own little bunny before she goes all Pynchon on you.

Nice. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 06:15:45 AM EST
I like that. Plot bunnies. That's rather fitting.

I also like the description of trying not to sabotage a good story with ideas. My problem is sorting my ideas from the story.

about the weirdness: by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 07:08:07 AM EST
you write what you know, inspired by the people you know and the events that have happened - or are likely to happen - that events in your life sometimes mirror those in your story just means your witting is true to life, it is a good thing, but there is no mystic voodoo here.

about picking where to take the story next:

don't over think the narrative.  you can go back and edit.  better to write a thousand words while your ideas flow, and throw 900 away, than to dry up and write nothing.

if in doubt, write multiple story arcs, then pick the one that comes out best.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

That's actually the plan at this point. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 07:58:16 AM EST
I've already got about seventy-five thousand words that I'll have to scrap if I stay with the hundred thousand or so I'm in the middle of now. And there's the possibility that one of the other threads that's grabbed me will make me toss about half of what I've written.

I ain't afraid of tossing when it's all said and done. It's just that so far every thread I follow seems to yield some real beauty, and some real crap. If I could just fold the beauty to gether, and tear out the crap. . .

Which is what I hope to achieve in the end.

I believe it all began. . . | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback