Print Story ASK HUSI: new harddrive advice
By garlic (Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 01:15:20 PM EST) (all tags)
I just got a new 250 GB harddrive, larger than all my current drives combined I think.

I'm looking for advice on setting up this drive as the main boot drive of my computer (process, OS, partitions)

I'm also looking for advice on how to protect my data from a potential harddrive failure.

< Be It Ever So Humble... | Is it real, or is it Memorex? >
ASK HUSI: new harddrive advice | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Buy 3 more identical drives + RAID controller -nt by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 02:04:06 PM EST

low cost and easy by garlic (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 02:17:35 PM EST
thanks chuckles!

protecting your data by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 02:21:45 PM EST
You need at least as much storage as you've got data to back up. If your new drive is larger than all your other drives combined, you need another new drive for back up.

Unless, of course, you want to use compression.

Cicero, The Republic
cheap and easy by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 02:45:19 PM EST
partition it into at least one "data" slice and make sure all important data goes there.  Save that partition somewhere else, prefarably off site.

Click
backups by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 03:11:53 PM EST
There's really 2 kinds of backups, the stuff that changes a lot, and really static stuff like your music collection, last years photos, etc.

You can try to back this up with 2 methods, i.e. burn DVDs of music and old photos every blue moon, and do a nightly crontab backup of the stuff that's likely to change.

Or you can use something like rsnapshot, which takes 1 snapshot of everything, and then saves deltas of what has changed. Dunno if that makes sense, here's how it works on my system -

1 initial snapshot, took a long time and a lot of GB, backup up all my music, files, email, whatever.

nightly snapshots - short and quick, a few MB a night, only backs up what has changed since the last nightly backup.

A full restore would involve restoring the initial backup + all the incrementals, but there's a script to do that.

Of course I'm doing all this from a cron job on my home file server, but I think there are similar tools for Windows, or there's always Cygwin.

That server has 2 HDs, a live one and a rsnapshot one, so if the house burns down I'm screwed, but if either HD fails I'm OK.

another thought by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 03:15:09 PM EST
If you're going to keep 2 drives in that machine, 1 main drive + 1 backup drive, put your swapfile on the backup drive. I assume SATA, if they're PATA make sure they're on different controllers for best performance.

Linux survior! by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 03:00:56 PM EST
Make a partition for each distro and see which one you like best. The last bootable partition wins.

Wumpus

While this is a joke, it's something I did with my first 250G drive in a similar situation. I narrowed it down to Ubuntu within a week or so, and repartitioned the drive.

I didn't know you could still buy 250GB drives! by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Mar 01, 2009 at 03:46:51 AM EST
Is that a typo?