Print Story Bell "Peppers" and MLP
Food
By wiredog (Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 08:30:33 AM EST) (all tags)
Can't eat them. The alleged "peppers", that is.

Setting aside the "flavor", they make me hurl. We're talking full-on head-spinning Exorcist Green Pea Soup projectile vomiting.

I can handle small doses, a teaspoon or so, but anymore and it gets rough.

I assume there something in bell "peppers" that isn't in others, or that the capsaicin in Real Peppers masks/counteracts the heinousness of bell peppers.

My only food "allergy".

Sadly, I can't stand cilantro, either. Tastes like soap in any sizable dose. A physical disability that a small part of the population suffers from. People who like it, love it. I wish it tasted to me the way it tastes to them.

In other news, we're all doomed. "They" have developed the radioactive pediatrician pedophile.

Worried about the economy?

CSI: Kansas City It was the second time in 17 months ...

< vegetarian chili a la gzt | Be It Ever So Humble... >
Bell "Peppers" and MLP | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Cilantro by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 09:18:56 AM EST
I could never figure out why people loved that stuff, as "soapy" is how I always described the taste. Now I know that I am just a genetic misfit. Many thanks. Glad to know that I'm not the only one.

My wife loves it, but at least in most Indian dishes where she's been using it lately, there is enough other spice to mask the cilantro.

From Wikipedia by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 09:39:35 AM EST
Here:
Some people perceive an unpleasant "soapy" taste or a rank smell and avoid eating the leaves. Popular belief that this is genetically determined may arise from the known genetic variation in taste perception of the synthetic chemical phenylthiocarbamide;

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Count me in as well by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 02:24:00 PM EST
Cilantro leaves taste like tinny soap to me. The root (coriander), I have no problem with. In fact, I like coriander quite  a bit.

Cicero, The Republic
The root? by herbert (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 02:34:45 AM EST
Huh, I had no idea you could eat the roots.  Until I looked this up I thought you must have been confusing them with the seeds.

I'll have to attempt to eat the roots of the coriander I grow this year.

To be honest, I did mis-speak by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 02:51:36 AM EST
I meant to say seeds.

But the roots are also edible.

Cicero, The Republic
Over here coriander==cilantro by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 04:10:31 PM EST
Slightly different genus, but same floavour. (Extra O in that for show)

Either way, the leaves taste like soap to me by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 04:20:05 PM EST
The root and the fruit, I quite like.

Cicero, The Republic
I know your food pain... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 01:40:37 PM EST
Olives make me sick but I'm just fine with olive oil while coconut tastes remarkably like tin. Everything else I don't eat is just because I don't like it...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I puked baize green flumes by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Mar 01, 2009 at 03:39:46 AM EST
After large quantities of snakebite with green food colouring and dry-ice.

Fact.