Print Story Gestational Amnesia
Misc.
By sugar spun (Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 10:16:03 PM EST) pregnancy, soul-destroying humiliation (all tags)
I blame it.

I've learned to be therapeutically tactful, and I can play departmental politics with astounding subtlety, but in normal conversation I'm very much about telling you exactly what I think. Normally I can hold it together so as to be honest but not offensive - if my opinion is negative I perform a swift change of focus. Say something vague and then say something distracting. Simple. I'm not one of those people who's flagrantly rude under the guise of being "totally honest". I'm not an asshole.

Until now. Pregnancy has taken every shred of my sense of what is socially appropriate, along with my memory and my waistline.

A couple of days ago I was in a clothing shop with a maternity section. Their fitting room was closed, and there was a girl looking critically at herself in a middle-of-the-shop mirror, wearing a top that she was clearly pretending was a dress and a pair of shiny shoes. Before I could catch my tongue and walk away, I told her that the dress was too short and she'd have to wear leggings with it.

She glared at me ferociously, as she removed the shoes and revealed their price tag.

I was completely frozen with horror. There's no recovering from that, but for some reason my mouth (enjoying its unaccustomed freedom) felt obliged to try. I said, Oh, thank God. Those shoes are really ugly, and scurried out of the shop.

Hopefully I'll get my tact back (and my waist, come to think of it). I've always mocked my mother for doing stuff like this, and she maintains it's accidental and she experiences the mouth working as though it were an out of body experience outside her control. Is this my future?
< Dec 22nd, 2002 | Sitting in the eye of the week's storm >
Gestational Amnesia | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Women by anonimouse (4.00 / 5) #1 Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 11:17:50 PM EST
Have been speaking without thinking since Eve; pregnancy has nothing to do with it.

</sexist>

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
<Digging Foxhole> by Phage (4.00 / 6) #2 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 12:01:48 AM EST
And putting the popcorn on.

Nothing like the smell of by anonimouse (4.00 / 7) #3 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 12:03:53 AM EST
flamewar in the morning....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Accidently insulted a stanger by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 12:15:23 AM EST
Who you are not likely to meet again, why worry?

I have a theory by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 02:08:45 AM EST
Untested, that impending parenthood tends only to exacerbate existing tendencies in either parent. Perhaps you've had a secretly repressed wish to speak truth where you see it, and now your brain goes 'wahey, party time, there's an excuse available'.

MBW by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 02:47:48 AM EST
Calls it mumnesia.

5.5 weeks to go and panicing counting!

I found by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 02:58:04 AM EST
that worse than losing all sense of tact was losing my mind.  As in, I would become the Uncarved Block in mid-conversation.

My mind isn't back at its pre-pregnancy level, either.  My wonderful little boy totally destroyed me.

somewhere... by clock (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 04:08:02 AM EST
...a therapist 20 years from now paid off her house with one post from the intarwebz.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Go with it! by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 03:09:34 AM EST
The world needs more honesty. Seriously. And, you are pregnant so people will be scared to say anything to your face (they will wait and tell one of their friends later about the crazy pregnant lady... but what do you care!). It is stupid but people act like pregnant women are made of glass or something.. so, you can use that and just say what you need to say. Hee hee... I look forward to funny stories!

*twinkle*twinkle*