Print Story Vegetarian Chili
Food
By gpig (Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 02:13:39 PM EST) (all tags)
yum

Vegetarian Chili

Preparation and cooking time ~1h30. Serves many.

Ingredients

1 big tin* of chopped tomatoes or similar
4 tins* of beans, or soaked equivalent if using dried beans
(pick your favourite ones, it's better if they're all different)
10 cloves garlic, or as much as you like
1 onion
2 tbsp hot chili powder (or to taste)
2 tbsp cumin (or to taste)
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp vegetable stock**
salt & pepper
oil of some sort
other vegetables depending on what you need to use up

* the tins are different sizes here which confuses me. Anyway you want ~14oz tins of beans, and ~20oz of tomatoes.

** I mean a tsp of veg stock powder/paste not stock liquid, obviously.

Fry onion in the bottom of a big pan until it goes a bit floppy. Add garlic, fry a bit more (minute or two). Add everything else, heat it up until it bubbles, give it maybe 5 minutes like that then leave it on low for an hour or so.

The first time you do it go easy on the spices so you can adjust to your preference. I tend to put in a lot of black pepper. On the veg front I find that you can put pretty much any standard vegetable in. I'd recommend putting things like brassicas in well after you've turned the heat down, they should go soft but not be destroyed.

Serve with cheddar, fresh coriander (or cilantro as the Mexicans call it), brown rice, maybe tortilla chips if you're feeling fancy. If you put too much chili powder in it is considered good form to provide a cooling agent such as sour cream.

< No kidding, this is chili. | 2009-02-26 >
Vegetarian Chili | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Do you use any sort of by blixco (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 03:24:27 PM EST
textured protein or meat substitute? I've not tried veggie chili with meat substitutes yet, but am curious to try it with, say, fried tofu.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Yes by gpig (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 03:46:04 PM EST
I've not tried tofu though, and I'm doubtful that it would work in chili.

I've tried TVP with some success -- I take the veg stock from the recipe and soak the TVP in it first. The best I've found is this:

Harder to find here in the US than it is in the UK, but good stuff.
(,   ,') -- eep

I like Quorn... by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 03:58:56 PM EST
....we have a freezerfull of the "cutlets" and chunks...the non-breaded type.  Love that stuff.  I made a Jamaican Jerk sauce that I cooked some of the cutlets in....damn fine stuff.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
quorn mince by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 03:53:22 AM EST
Is an excellent mince beef substitute, much better than tofu, which does work well in some dishes, especially in curries, but isn't really suited to a chilli.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Beans? by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 02:18:30 AM EST
I find using beans or mushrooms (or both) is usually enough

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I love Reddit recipes by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 27, 2009 at 02:19:24 AM EST
Cheap ingredients
Easy
Quick
Tasty

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Vegetarian Chili | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback