Print Story Looking for something to smash
By Phil the Canuck (Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 05:24:34 AM EST) (all tags)
Grasping at my workplace zen, but never quite getting my hands on it.

Mr. Angry starts his vacation tomorrow.  He's heading down to Carolina to meet up with friends and look for a job.  That's great and all, everyone needs a break, but he called in sick yesterday and today.  Given his history of excessive absences, tardiness, and general goof-offery, this would get him fired if he worked for me.  Not that he would have made it this far.  I'm sure The Boss (who has been silent thus far this week) will do nothing.  I think the department should pitch in and buy him a set of prosthetic testicles.  We could replace Mr. Angry inside a week with someone who'd be thrilled to work for 80% of his pay.

As for The Boss, well, I haven't heard from him yet this week.  That usually means he'll breeze in sometime Wednesday with some list of things he ordered the wrong this for, or installed the wrong that on.  I did send him a free (as in beer) alternative to a major software package we're planning to buy.  It would allow us to do what we're looking to do in one year instead of two or three (or four or five) based on the budget money we have ready to spend this fiscal year.  Given that the next fiscal year is looking bleak, entire programs could get flushed, and there is no way of knowing when things will improve, it would be wise to save the phase one software money to invest in the phase two hardware today.

Naturally this means he won't even consider it.
< Holy crap! | wings night report >
Looking for something to smash | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Does the boss have a boss? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 05:37:09 AM EST
Is there an auditor? If the guy's wasting that much money there's gotta be a way to let people senior to him know.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Everyone has a boss by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 06:47:37 AM EST
His boss is getting his hip replaced.  His interim boss is his boss at the other side of his job, and loves yes men.  The Boss is a professional yes man.  If pressed, he justifies any purchases by simply saying free software (whether it be OSS or as-in-beer) is "free for a reason".  If I were to go over his head, I'd run into some repercussions.

heh by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 03:47:04 PM EST
Once my manager was also acting director and, as acting directory, was also acting VP.

Boy did she have fun approving expenses!

Cicero, The Republic
There's always neuticles by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 05:38:27 AM EST
or truck balls.

Being as this is a budget crunch... by Armaphine (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 10:28:49 PM EST
...I personally recommend making the prosthetics out of a large ball of paper clip chain. It has the added bonus of being readily accessible, easily deployable, and has minimal cost involved.

But from Phil's post, this will immediately get it shot down. Therefore I recommend my shoddily-built, far-more-expensive alternative. It uses substandard parts, but on the plus side, I have managed to build an Oracle back-end onto them.

Question authority. Don't ask why, just do it.

Sir, I must "4" you. by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 10:32:56 AM EST
But first I'm gonna need another jboss server.

--top hat--