Print Story In my dream last night
Dear Wife and I were getting divorced. We lived in a big old house full of junk & everything was falling apart. I was going to marry somebody else. My new fiancee was there and reasonably affectionate to me, but I did not know who she was. (Now that I think about it, she kind of resembled iGrrl.) I was very sad about getting divorced, but my wife seemed happy. I told her that we should try reconciliation. Dear Wife said, "it's too late. Don't worry about it. Go have fun." I started crying.

Some more classic Freudian stuff follows.

My father was there helping me move my portion of the furniture, which was all junk. We were moving it to a big dumptruck. It began to rain and all the furniture got ruined.  My new wife-to-be was flirting with somebody. She has lost interest in me.

All the doorways and passages in the house were full of crap furniture and it was hard to get around.

It was announced I had a visitor. It was somebody from the IRS.  "Seems there's a problem with your taxes." He wanted to see my records. The records, of course, were lost. The tax examiner, who resembed Agent Smith in The Matrix, went out for lunch and left me waiting a long, long time.  Then he came back, dressed in casual clothes and smoking a cigarette and said he had given my case to another IRS inspector, a Mormon, who would be back tomorrow.

This made me very angry and I started yelling obscenities.

The police were called and I was arrested.

Then I woke up.  The dog was whining & I walked her. It was about 5 AM.

Now it's 7:30 and Dear Wife assures me that she has no immediate plans for divorce. Also, last year the IRS dropped its ten-year-long case against us. We have that in writing. No IRS problems on the horizon.

I'm feeling a little better now.

Most of the time I find it really, really irritating when the puppy, who should be a dog by now, insists on waking me up before dawn.  Today I'm glad she did.

< Do something you hate! Being miserable builds character! | MLP >
In my dream last night | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
clutter by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 03:28:11 AM EST
The stuff that accumulates over a lifetime, or that is passed down through generations, or donated from friends.

The cholesterol that cakes up the arteries of your home.

The moss that you gather as a stone that's not rolling.

What you carry around with you, that makes it hard to move around, get moving, move on, and it may be junk but it is yours damnit, and you're not going to leave it behind and you still have the right to get upset about it when the rain comes and ruins it, even if it is a little bit your fault for using the wrong kind of truck (did you have a choice? of course, somewhere way back up the chain of causality you always had a choice) and maybe you sorta half wished you could get rid of it, or at least some of it, actually, if you want to know the truth.

Or, maybe it's saying you should have a yard sale. Make sure to watch the weather, and set a rain date.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Oddly enough by johnny (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 06:45:49 AM EST
we had a giant, giant yard sale last spring, but did not get rid of all of our stuff. I finally cleaned out our storage unit two weeks ago, and for the first time in 17 years, and after something more than a dozen changes of domicile on Martha's Vineyard, we no longer are paying rent for a storage unit.  It's hard to describe how much I hated shifting our stuff in and out of storage, and if I were to tell you how many hours of my life I've spent doing that, you would weep.

So it seems like there's a lag-time built into this dream. Or, it's a Freddy Kruger/horror movie type dream, where the monster that you think you've vanquished (storage, IRS, marriage woes) comes back just before the closing credits.

Anyway, it was a dream from which I was happy to awake.
Buy my books, dammit!

i second the clutter idea by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 08:03:03 AM EST
sounds like a lot of things rolling around your head.
---------
IAWTP by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 08:35:47 AM EST
Maybe you should do something to get the clutter out of your head. Have you considered writing novels?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Brilliant! by johnny (4.00 / 3) #5 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 12:53:07 PM EST
The function of dreaming is thought to be some form of “garbage collection,” an entropy-fighting rear-guard action to sort the returnables from the recyclables, the biodegradable from the merely useless. Like the character Todd (in Bonehead), like people with anosognosia, who deny their obvious paralysis to the dismay of all who speak with them, the unnamed protagonist of Bees seems to have suffered damage to his right parietal hemisphere, and is thus not always able to suppress dreaming. So, therefore, thus, neurological garbage trucks rumble through his waking day, and those motherfuckers are loud. Amid the noise and confusion, the poor soul is trying to convince itself that it has some real existence. Assembling itself into a narrative, the subject of Bees is Bees itself, a consciousness coming into being.

From "Cheap Complex Devices", by Guess Who.
Buy my books, dammit!

fucking clover. by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 03:01:50 PM EST
nt
---------
Incidentally, by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 10:24:55 AM EST
I have that book right next to me, right now, at work. It's sitting between "The Art of War", and "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana".

--top hat--
Well I hope it does not disappoint by johnny (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 07:18:12 PM EST
Also, what a lovely sig!

Should have said so earlier, but HuSi was a pig for some reason. . .
Buy my books, dammit!

I hate those kinds of dreams. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 11:36:00 AM EST
I'll take a bloody nightmare about face eating aliens over a dreaming an argument with SWHTL any day of the week.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Agree, mostly by johnny (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 07:27:17 PM EST
In this dream there were no arguments. My wife was happy, at least modestly so. She seemed to wish happiness for me in my new life. She merely had no interest at all in remaining married to me.

In actual fact, my wife and I have been married for 28 years. It's been a very long time since I've been angry with her, and a long, but not quite so long, time since she's been angry with me (she's always been more volatile than me, or else I've been more of an asshole; whatever).

In earlier years we used to have horrible rows, and it was extremely painful. After a fight there is a hangover the next day or days, and it's much worse than the hangover from getting drunk.

But we just don't seem to do that anymore. I like to think it's because we've become more loving an compassionate, but in my dream the fear was that the connection was simply gone.

Anyway, it's not, at least as far as I can tell. It was just a bad dream.
Buy my books, dammit!

SWHTL and I are close to that but by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 10:34:23 AM EST
you're forcing me to face up to an argument we had last week; because they all follow the same pattern - we're normally in pretty good sync with each other, but she's also forgetful, and I can be quite insecure about somethings - leading to my sulking and an inevitable spat that always comes down to I'm angry about how she made me angry by forgetting something.

After 21 years, you'd think I'd be used to it, but it's still frustrating the way certain kinds of things that are extremely important to me just disappear from her mind.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals