Print Story Things and fucking fuck.
By blixco (Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 12:31:48 PM EST) (all tags)
Fucking damn hell sonofa fuck.

My back done went out on me, "re-activated" as they say ("they" being the nurses I was talking to at the goshdarn urgent care), and I got grilled by the doc about why i was at an urgent care and not at my docs.  My doc closes on Friday, it was 6pm on Thursday, and I was in pain.  But yeah, non-specific pain in the back and a visit to the ER is drug seeking behavior if it was being done a lot.  They checked my record...my last visit to a doctor about my back was June 6th...and the doc on duty changed his tone entirely.  He checked me out, recommended that I get my ass back into PT, and gave me some drugs.  They gave me a shot of toradol, a non-narcotic NSAID.  The nurse laid the needle right alongside a nerve, I guess, since the injection made my toes feel like they were going to pop off my foot.  Hurt worse than my damn back.

Unlike last time, they didn't hit me with demerol...my back didn't hurt as bad.  Really I just needed something to kill the spasms.  Spasms are irreversable...they cause all sorts of problems and can't be dealt with using exercises.  They're what cause me to get all twisted up.  So, not as bad this time, and the doc gave me flexiril which is fine except for two things:  1) it makes me sleep twelve or more hours and 2) it also blocks the nerve impulses ot the lower intestine, wreaking havoc with digestion.

I'd not been exercising.  I'd been injured over Xmas, then got sick, then just...stopped.  My back really lets me know when I need to get back on the ball.  This time, though, I'm going to seek professional help in the way of a physical therapist and pilates instructor.  That seems to be the best set of exercises for the back. The "typical" PT for back exercises is just pilates without the licensing.  That and some isometrics.  Combine that with my normal workout (well, what had been my normal workout) of squats, pushups, lunges and etc and maybe my back will get back in shape. My back will be back to back back back back.  I fucking love the english language.

THANKS ENGERLAND.

So what else is new?  I am avoiding facebook, avoiding most social contact, and making my way with my head down.  And why?  Well, things are busy.  I turned 37, and on the day I did I was walking out of the office...it was a beautiful sunny day, just slightly cool...and walking to my car and I just felt OK.  Like, this is just fine.  This is right where I need to be.  I'm not tied to a career, nor measured by it, but my job is full of puzzles that make my days hard...very hard...but very satisfying. We are too busy, and I need a facilities / IT guy as well as  a lab manager and IT guy.  Know anyone?  We pay well, and we're adding headcount faster than I can buy machines. Literally.

The job can be annoying, but any job will be.  This job, though...every move I make makes a difference.  Every tweak, every fix, every little adjustment, the entire company benefits.  Likewise, when I stumble, the entire company feels it.  So I have to be on my game all the time, and I normally am.  There is stress, there is Bad Stuff at times but the benefits are tangible and worthy.  It can only get better.  Or worse.  That being said, we are too busy. We need more people.

We're also hiring developers...C and java and database types.  If you're out of work, mobile, and like small places...or, and can get a clearance...let me know.

So the job thing is there.  I mean, I don't get caught up in the "am I doing the right thing with my life?" nonsense.  I am doing what I have always done: what I have to do.  I'll always do this, regardless of the actual task.  If the whole kit goes to hell and I have to find work in a 7-11 or in the fields, I'll do it.  The labor is unimportant, but it's nice when it rewards accordingly.  Less soldiers come to harm in Iraq now.  I had a tiny, microscopic part in that.

I'll work on the rest of it. The social aspect.  Getting back with friends.  That sort of thing.  I just need a little more free time in the day, and that should happen as soon as we get a few new people into IT.

So what am I saying?  I'm content, which leads me to new things.  I'll find more time for music and writing, and less time for TV and netflix-on-demand (by the way, that $100 Roku wireless netflix on demand box?  STAY AWAY.  It is nearly perfect, and a gigantic time sink, and just stay away). I'll finally email kellnerin. I'll get together with the McClocky crew and make music. And maybe....juuuuuuuuuust maybe...I'll get my yearly BBQ / Laurea's Birthday set up and ready for the 21st of March.
< Husi lunch | 2009-02-22 >
Things and fucking fuck. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dude. Walk. Stretch. And lay flat. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 12:55:15 PM EST
Or I'm going to have to come down there and fucking kill you with my bare hands.
For support, I'll tell you that my C5-C6 problem (my newer upper back problems, to balance out my lower back problems) came back this Friday. How did i fix it? Fucking walk. Fucking stretch. and fucking. Lay. Fucking. Flat.

I do, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 01:09:31 PM EST
in fact, since we moved floors at work...we cover all three floors in the building now...I walk about 5 miles per day, most of it up and down stairs.

I just need to work harder at it.  Never let up.

And I need to exercise...the McKenzies and the rest of it...or I turn to mush.  Painful mush. What sucks though is that I have to work really REALLY hard...to the point of throwing up..five days a week, an hour at a time, just to be able to look like crap but hey, my back will be fine.  Just have to work my ass off.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
need a facilities / IT guy as well as a lab manag by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 01:51:48 PM EST
Tell me more.  I'm a programmer type, but I find that my C skills are so damn rusty these days that I fear applying for C jobs.  What is 'pay well'?

Click
I actually don't know by blixco (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 04:43:49 PM EST
what the starting pay is, but it would be very competitive for the lab manager / IT person, and not so much for the facilities / IT monkey.  Median here is $80k?  But the cost of living ain't bad.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
let's just say that by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 05:24:43 PM EST
When I see numbers like 80k, I consider that to be millionaire.  Depending on how well tomorrow goes I may PM you.

Click
Sorry about the back, by johnny (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 02:06:38 PM EST
HOpe it gets better soon.

But damn, it sure is nice to read about hiring people instead of laying them off.

More like that, please.

jrs

Buy my books, dammit!

Ok. I got one. by mrgoat (4.00 / 2) #17 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 11:22:27 AM EST
We're looking for a web developer. State work, pay's about 47k, I think. Albany NY.

--top hat--
good coder by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 03:22:16 PM EST
have a clearance, live in a small place, but no desire to relocate.. Can we work an understanding ?

Nope. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 04:44:30 PM EST
Our cleared people are either here or travel with the military.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Damn. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 05:09:58 AM EST
bummer, I'd be an asset, and I own guns ;) Just don't care to move yet.

what kind of database monkey do you need? by clock (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 04:13:00 PM EST
i have those skillz.

also, get your shit all fixed up and better.  we have music to make.  please note:  we are debating a trip to austin for purely recreational reasons in the near term.  more on that soonish.

yeah.  more tunes.  less back pain.  that'd work, right?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

sql. mysql? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 04:45:14 PM EST
I'm not sure what we use, but I can find out.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
ask around. by clock (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 05:41:03 PM EST
i've worked with most of them.  i'm interested in the potential.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Well damn. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 10:44:29 AM EST
Our sql position was hired last week.  We need:

C++ developer
Sr. Java SOA dev

and one Lead QA tester with signals background.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
bummer... by clock (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 04:45:34 PM EST
...i don't do things i hate (java) or things that hurt (C++).  but thanks for asking!

any weekends in the near future look better than others?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yes. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 06:16:43 PM EST
Though I need to consult a calendar, and I don't have one here....tomorrow I'll sort it out.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
time in the day, by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 04:17:19 PM EST
nerves that don't scream for no reason,

and deep, lasting contentment.

I wish all of this for you and more.

Me, I am currently highly deadline-driven, somewhat winter-frazzled, and periodically frustrated at the disconnect between the possibility that exists in my head and the reality that I perceive outside of it.

But it's all OK.

Right? It's OK.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

We're all right, we're all calm. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 04:45:40 PM EST
We're alright, we're all calm.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
lab guy by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 08:45:28 PM EST
I know a good one, but you can't have him.
His mine, your hear. Can't have him!

(well for another year or so, until that part of the funding runs out)

-- The revolution will not be televised.
When will you stop being younger than me? by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #20 Sun Mar 01, 2009 at 06:02:15 AM EST
It's not right.