Print Story Husi lunch
with photograph.

So we dragged along our copy of The Pains, to collect another in the set of signatures of people somewhat responsible for its actual appearance.

"What should I write?" asked Kellnerin.

"Whatever you want." I told her.

So, she wrote this:

The Pains, title page

I think everybody had a good time. It's a pretty low-key bunch of folks. I counted ten: ad hoc (thanks, man, for picking yet another wonderful restaurant), infinitera and his wife (who has a nick here on husi, but i forget... bon vivant, perhaps?), gpig and his partner, toxicfur and me, aethucyn, Kellnerin, and the ever cheerful D.

K pointed out when they arrived that all the foreign-born people were on one side of the table. We reserved for "about eight" and they set 14 places. I guess Saturday afternoons aren't their rush hour. You might think MIT undergrads, many of whom live in the neighborhood (near the Harvard Club, so they can walk across the Harvard Bridge to MIT) would be staggering out of bed at the crack of 1pm on a Saturday, to stumble in for that first curry of the weekend. But you'd be wrong.

< MLP | Things and fucking fuck. >
Husi lunch | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Best book signing ever. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 10:51:04 AM EST

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Agreed. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 10:56:04 AM EST
It almost made mango lhassi spew out of my nose.

To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
there's a story by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #6 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 03:43:34 PM EST
(there's always a story, isn't there?) Anyway, there's a story behind the signing. I was seated at the end of the table with D and my twin brother aethucyn. What follows is unattributed so as to spread the credit/blame around:

"Wait, you're signing it instead of the author?"

"Oh, I see. There are multiple signatures."

"Like a yearbook."

So you see, it was obvious. And I'm flattered to have had the opportunity, given the vanishingly small chances that I'll ever have the audacity to put out a book under my own name.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

identical twin brother by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 03:46:18 PM EST
is, i thought, how the story goes.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

conjoined twin (who are always identical) by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 03:54:31 PM EST
Connected at the brain.

Born seven months apart.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Aw shucks by johnny (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 01:51:24 PM EST
That is so touching.

The traditional disclaimer holds for this book: Any stupidisms, bad writing, errors, inconsistencies, infelicitous use of our Mudda Tongue, etc, etc are the fault of me alone.

But there sure would be a fucktonne more of them in The Pains were it not for Helen's Kellnerin's generous, helpful, and often damn-near-brilliant corrections and suggestions. Thanks again, K!

Wish I coulda joined yz-all at the restaurant. I do expect to be crashing chez ad-hoc tonight on the couch that is four inches shorter than I, so maybe I'll catch an update on the luncheon from an actual participant.
Buy my books, dammit!

ooh by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 01:57:39 PM EST
whenever you're gonna be in town, we'd be happy to see you, or even put you up should said couch be unavailable or inconvenient. We're just a mile from the end of the Orange Line, so not even all that far from civilization.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Oh, and... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 01:59:52 PM EST
said (now doubly-) autographed book has finally risen to the top of my ginormous "read me next" pile. I shall be dipping in tonight instead of watching oscars or whatever.

Could trade you a book of mine if you'd care to have a look...

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

"I think I found a typo," by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 03:48:49 PM EST
D said to me while he was reading The Pains.

"You're not allowed to find typos in a book I edited," I informed him.

I proceeded to press him for a more detailed bug report and closed it as User error -- reads as intended.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM