Print Story Sanity, slipping further.
By nightflameblue (Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 05:57:26 AM EST) (all tags)
So, the first conversation Mrs. NFB and I have this morning is a deeply philosophical one about the lyrics in the song "Don't You Want Me." Oh yeah, that's right, Human League.

And so, in good spirits, I downloaded it so we could listen to it and continue tho conversation.

Problem: Then she brings up "that other one they did that I like."

"Human?"

"Yeah, that one."

Downloaded.

Wait a minute. I think I kinda dig that too.

No, no. There ain't no metalz in Human League. There's more metalz in Loreena McKennitt than there is in Human League.

Oh, is that Pet Shop Boys?

FUCK!

< I dreamt about my mother last night | Do something you hate! Being miserable builds character! >
Sanity, slipping further. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Not that there's anything wrong with that by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 06:31:33 AM EST
Much of what I listen to is 80's and early 90's pop and glam rock, along with some punk, country, etc. Someone on here mentioned Die Toten Hosen a year ago, and I usually have 5-10 of their songs on my ipod at any given time now. So I'm not in a position to be judging your sanity.

One of my favourite songs is T'Pau "China in your hand". The lyrics should ensure an interesting conversation, especially if you apply it to your writing over the past few months.

Oh, and after Pet Shop Boys, there is Tears for Fears, Fine Young Cannibals, Duran Duran, Platinum Blonde, Eurythmics, and many more. You could be on the cusp of a long downward spiral.

She drives me crazy, woo, woo (n/t) by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 06:51:37 AM EST

The album name alone is a classic by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 07:25:48 AM EST
Fine Young Cannibals: The Raw and the Cooked.

I loved the moped gang video for the song "Good Thing", off the same album.

Truly an 80s icon (n/t) by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 07:38:47 AM EST

I've found that by kwsNI (4.00 / 3) #3 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 07:08:07 AM EST
80s music is much better now than it was in the 80s.  :)

Part of aging by marvin (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 07:23:26 AM EST
Get off my lawn, etc.

Most 70's music still sounds like complete shite to me. There is some stuff after the early 1990's that has some staying power, but most of it is not really that interesting to me. C'mon, who listens to 10 year old stuff from Shania Twain or Britney Spears?

Sadly, I am falling into the mold of my parent's generation - the music that I heard during my teen years is the stuff I've mostly stayed with; the stuff my parents listen to is dated; and the stuff that my kids will listen to will be crap.

The aging thing is part of it by lm (4.00 / 4) #7 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 08:54:57 AM EST
But the other part is that we only tend to remember the songs that are worth remembering. One only need to go back an look at a top 100 chart for any given week back in the eighties to be reminded of why the eighties sucked.

Cicero, The Republic
And this differs from any other decade? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 09:59:28 AM EST
There is nothing significantly better or worse that I can see in the 80's when compared to the 60's, 70's, 90's, or 00's. All of those decades sucked too based on your criteria.

Sure, it is fashionable today to diss the 80's, but at least I didn't go to high school wearing bell bottoms (70's and 00's), and brown and orange clothing, while listening to the BeeGees on 8-track.

Did I say that the eighties differed? by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 03:24:29 PM EST
No, I don't believe I did.

One good thing you can say about the eighties is that it isn't responsible for Disco.

Cicero, The Republic
Hair splitting by marvin (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 06:29:19 PM EST
Your chosen specialty, I know.

Strangely, by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 07:02:41 PM EST
I didn't "listen" to this stuff in the eighties, but it was all around me.

But Tainted Love is getting downloaded as we speak.

Strange.

damn it! by Nigga (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 10:05:27 PM EST
now i got don't you want me stuck in my head!

Sanity, slipping further. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback