Print Story Do I need a parka or do I need boots?
Drink
By gzt (Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 07:43:00 AM EST) gzt, communist man (all tags)
There are pros and cons to it all.

Eye annoyances. Job stuff. Etc.

I already have a cold weather snow boot solution, but I do not have any boots for situations requiring heavy-duty footwear in, say, the summer.

I also do not have a particularly awesome winter coat. I have a typical nondescript black coat (not a pea coat) for wearing with business stuff and some sort of waterproof warm jacket that isn't particularly awesome but, if you layer, functions well enough to have gotten me through long walks on rather cold days.

So, there you have it. I don't really have an adequate boot solution or an adequate parka solution, but I'm getting by well enough at the moment.

But then there are other problems: if I don't have boots and am wearing these awesome tactical pants, how can they be appropriately bloused? But, on the other hand, I think I'd look silly wearing boots, especially if I blouse my pants.

Last night, while lying in bed reading Auden and playing an episode of Mythbusters - now on Netflix Watch Instantly - I suddenly felt like I had something in my eye. So I poked around and thought I got it out, but it still felt like I had something in there, but examinations in the mirror couldn't turn up anything. Friggin' annoying. It still feels a bit like that this morning. I looked it up and they say that sometimes stuff that gets in your eye might scratch the cornea a little, so it will still feel like you have something in there even though it's out and it'll heal in 1-2 days. Bah.

There's the question of which boots or which parka. I think I have the parka picked out.

So I'm done with The Tempest and The Sea and the Mirror. I might glance back over them both a little. I've been flipping randomly through Auden's Collected Works and reading short poems before bed. I generally wouldn't have energy at that time of night to go through something like his Christmas Oratorio, but 10 short poems that end up being the same length, maybe. The point is that I could stop at 5 if I were tired enough, you know, and I would not have to think for more than a page at a time.

So I'm having people over to watch Doctor Who and see my scarf tomorrow night. It should be good. It is utterly marvelous, like my scarf.

In class last night, the econ professor brought in some revolutionary Maoists to speak for a couple minutes and invite us to some lecture they were having in a couple weeks. It was vaguely interesting, but I would be busy that Sunday. I would be most interested in how they plan to reeducate society to create Communist Man. More specifically, reeducating those who do not want to conform to the expectations and visions of communist society.

That's it. It's time for a burrito.

< How was your National Engineer's Week? | The Gods In The Ceiling >
Do I need a parka or do I need boots? | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I would go with the boots by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 08:33:03 AM EST
Boots are just generally more badass. I wholeheartedly endorse more badass.

ypu're a chair
But it's also cold out. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 08:36:05 AM EST
And while my coats are adequate, they are not ideal. Nor are they COYOTE BROWN. Plus, I can always get boots in the summer if I find I need them. I could get a coat in the summer, but I wouldn't need it then, would I?

you could give me "yes, but" by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 09:28:04 AM EST
arguments till the cows come home. and then you could eat the cows. and make boots out of them. and thus be more badass.

ypu're a chair
Now the "which boots" question. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 09:33:58 AM EST
Paging MNS!

ode to boots by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 08:37:57 AM EST
My winter boots are thinsulate steel-toe boots. Actually, they're my summer boots too.

Thinsulate breathes very well in the summer.  They're obviously warmer then sneakers but I've hiked for miles, or mowed the lawn for a couple of hours at a time on hot days wearing those boots, no problem.

They're perfectly warm with ordinary socks up until -20 or -30 C, at that point you need to double up or wear wool socks.

The only real flaw is they're water-resistant, not waterproof. After an hour or two standing in water you're going to have wet feet.

And I don't get to use this picture much, so can't resist...

ERs by garlic (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 09:33:55 AM EST
will see you very quickly if you say you have something stuck in your eye.

They will also charge you a buttload if your insurance doesn't cover ER visits well. However, it is difficult to trust just anybody to hold your eyelid up and spot the speck that is stuck under there and scoop it out.

well, there are a couple other options by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 09:40:53 AM EST
  1. Urgent care place just down the street. Definitely cheaper than ER.
  2. Eye doctor on the ground floor of the building. I'm sure if I called them up and explained it they would be able to have somebody take a look at it.
I'm pretty sure it's all right and that my guess was correct. If it were getting worse or the eye itself was looking bad, I'd go on in. But an online "symptom checker" did not seem to think it was a big deal.

coat price increase! by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 01:51:42 PM EST
The coat I wanted went up $80 today. Drat. Then again, I had it in my shopping cart and it's still showing at the old price... But it looks like, if anything, it'll be boots.

Coats and boots by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 03:35:49 PM EST
Almost 20 years ago I bought a Swiss army-issue wool coat from some surplus store or the other. Best damned coat I ever bought. It's so friggin' warm, I only bust it out when temps drop into the teens or below. My only complaint is that after two decades some of the buttons have fallen off. I'm contemplating buying a set of replica Tsarist era military buttons to replace them.

As for boots, I'm a fan of US Army issue steel toed boots. They're usually either made by Alterra or Georgia and are standard issue for the electricians, plumbers and etc. in the service. For city slickers, they're hard boots to beat.

Cicero, The Republic
At first, I was looking up winter boots by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 07:16:46 PM EST

As there are a lot of options, and it can be highly environment-dependent, but now that I read it again, you want summer boots, in which case I have but one suggestion: Blackhawk's Warrior Wear Desert Ops boot, or the black one, if you're the kind of dude who wears black boots in the summer. Which I am not. But I live in California, where the winter is the same as the summer, so I have both.

You can get them from Blackhawk, at full price, or you can get them from Optics Planet (yes, Optics Planet; blame the optical device/tactical crossover markets), LA Police Gear, Botach, or anybody else that carries the Blackhawk line. I'm not normally a big fan of Blackhawk gear, but I love those boots in a way a man should not love a pair of boots. Not a sexual way, mind you, but I worry about them when I'm not wearing them, wondering if they worry about me when they're not protecting my toes from blades of grass, broken glass, tainted needles, old pizza slices spit up by puppies whose eyes were bigger than their stomachs, banana peels, Improvised Dog-excrement Devices (IDDs), Improvised Homeless Dude Excrement Devices (IHDEDs), homeless people, or just the sand at the beach. The boots are super-light, super-comfortable, fast to lace or unlace, and absolutely silent, which, as you can imagine, is useful, if for no other reason than accidentally startling random strangers as you pass them without a whisper on the sidewalk at a ridiculous clip in a battle royale against the forces of sloth, and for coming in late to work.

Now, are you sure you know what parka you want?