Print Story Where to ski in London?
Sport
By dmg (Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 10:48:50 AM EST) (all tags)
I was encouraged by the sight of some skiing going on by Tower Bridge on my way home from work this evening.
However, Potter's Fields park is slightly too flat for any serious skiier.

I just wondered, where is best for downhill skiing in London?

< John 19:30 | 31 Seasons in the Minor Leagues >
Where to ski in London? | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Primrose Hill by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 11:00:28 AM EST
When you used to get proper snow in London that's where my old man used take us sledging. Saw people skiing there.

Yeah I saw someone snowboarding there by dmg (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 11:02:03 AM EST
On some website or other. Is it long enough to get a good run in?
Anywhere a bit closer to se1? I was thinking maybe greenwich park....
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Sawf Lahdun by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 11:11:18 AM EST
Ain't my manor, guvnor.

Angel tube stn by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 01:18:32 PM EST
Open all year round.

Loads south of the river by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 02:25:43 AM EST
Greenwich Park.
Richmond Park.
Brockwell Park.
Crystal Palace Park.
There'll be a few short, steep runs on Mitcham Common, probably more suited to sledging.
If you can travel, Box Hill in Surrey is famous for it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Had I been able to get there by Herring (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 04:48:50 AM EST
I would've been very tempted to take my snowboard to Box Hill. Probably not a safe thing to do though.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
People do it, don't they? by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 05:43:02 AM EST
I'm sure I'd heard that. But yeah I don't even like standing near the top of that hill, never mind surfing down it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Not enough snow by Herring (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 05:47:39 AM EST
Even a foot or so isn't really enough when it's soft. It's enough to hide a rock or a treestump, but not enough to render them harmless.

Really deep powder, it's hard to hurt yourself unless you hit something (like a tree). You can get very stuck though (especially if you go too close to trees - the snow is not so dense under the branches and people have died after going head-first down a 10 foot hole they didn't realise was there).

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky