Print Story Forgive me, Father...
By Armaphine (Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 01:16:07 AM EST) (all tags)
It has been three years since my last diary posting...

I find it hard to believe that I haven't posted squat in the last two and a half years, but... well, as an old BOFH gets older, I suppose there's a tendency to get sentimental for the old school. Well, here's the re-cap...

I am (Thankfully) still employed by the same hosting center I was when I last wrote. Employed, not contract, and full time to boot. I suppose I should be happy to even have a job, given the economy, although I still wish I had something a little more... fulfilling. Not that receiving a steady paycheck isn't great and all, but I just feel like I've done all I can in my current position. (Translation: I've scripted out 90% of my job, and am quickly running out of shit to watch at work. Seriously. I burned through the first four seasons of Battlestar Galatica in two weekends, including the miniseries and Razor.) I'd like something more, but as long as I'm still working on the degree (BTW, not done with that yet, for those that were keeping track) and the economy still sucks, I guess I gotta take what they're givin', since I'm workin' for a livin'.

On the plus side, I have moved out of my first apartment, and into my second. A far better upgrade, I may add. Much closer to work, not too much more a month, and a far bigger place. The bigger part I somehow overlooked in initially looking at the place, and only realized it once I got everything in and looked at all the additional free space. Not to mention, the place is just badass. A huge castle-like place that I rent part of. All brick since the little old lady who I rent from, her late husband (and son, who does all the repairs) was a bricklayer, so the entire place is made of brick. Including the pool, which as a bonus note, is right out my back door.

Been working the midnight shift the whole time, as well, which means I am completely clueless as to what to do with a Friday night any more. The last Friday night I had off was in October, when I decided to take the weekend off for my 30th birthday. I literally spent the Friday sitting at home thinking "I should do something... but what?"
I am also in a relationship, some how. I am dating a beautiful redhead who, for reasons unknown, has consigned herself to dating me for the last two years and change. She has even managed to resign herself to living with me for a good part of that. The fact that she's a cook is, of course, a wonderful bonus.

I'm not entirely sure how, but I have somehow gotten the reputation as the scripting genius as work. I wouldn't think it would be uncommon in, let's face it, a nerd haven, to know how to script stuff out, but here I am. Funny story, I actually got a call last week asking me if I had a script to take down this 400+ server enviroment. I have one to make sure everything is started, but not one to take it down. (Also, I got this call halfway thru my sleep time, so I apologize to anyone who remembers me for not giving detailed instructions.) I actually got thinking about the fact that about four lines changed in my existing script would have done the job, but then again... I like my job. I like the people I work with. I like money. Writing such a script starts blurring the line between utility and "Fuck you all, I'm outta here." Sadly, I fear I may be getting old.

On the plus side, I've found that the clue-by-four cannot be forced... it happens. Whenever the using masses become too much, it shall appear. It has yet to appear at this job. I believe this to be a good thing.

Other notes: I have learned certain things in the last couple years:
How to play Texas Holdem
How to play Texas Holdem beyond the calling station level
How to make Hamburger Helper
How to make other versions of Helper
How to stir-fry stuff
How to grill reasonably well (More practice needed in the warmer times)
How to make Damn Good Mashed Potatoes (Hint: There's more dairy than potato)
How to appreciate good beer
How to script in Windows
How to script decently
Probably some other stuff...

And as always, the hardest part comes now... coming up with a poll.
< Breastfeeding | A continuing theme >
Forgive me, Father... | 48 comments (48 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good to see you back ! by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 01:43:47 AM EST
So, you're playing poker and barbecuing.
Sounds good to me.

Ah, poker... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 11:54:13 PM EST
Well, the poker is the most social thing I do all week, so I feel the need to perpetuate it. Although I am currently fourth in the poker league, so I have that going for me.

As for the BBQ, it was a gift from the girl's dad, and the added propane was from my own dad, so I'm calling it a family thing.

I'm from Australia by Phage (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:06:07 AM EST
There's no need to justify the purchase of a barbecue.

I'm from America by Armaphine (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:07:03 AM EST
You need to justify NOT buying a barbeque

Question authority. Don't ask why, just do it.

The great social leveller by Phage (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:10:19 AM EST
Until you get the bloke who thinks that either a) They're an outdoor chef.
b) It should really be cooked as a hungi
c) Beer isn't a key component.

OK... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:16:09 AM EST
Point A: I'll say this much: Some people are destined for grilling. Seriously. I spent almost three years in professional kitchens, and I have yet to learn to saute anything. But put me on grill, fryer, or garmo, and I am fucking awesome. Some people have the knack, some don't.
Point B: I have no idea what a hungi is.
Point C: Beer is a key component of EVERYTHING. Until whiskey gets involved.

A hungi by Phage (4.00 / 1) #33 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:19:22 AM EST
Sorry it's a Maori word where you make a fire pit, then bury the meat and veg in the pit with the hot rocks to slowly cook in it's juices.

It's probably called something else in NA.

I've heard... by Armaphine (4.00 / 1) #35 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:22:24 AM EST
... of doing a whole pig that way, but not so much anything else.

Also, if you do the pig right, the presentation's a bit off due to steam coming out the pig's ass.
$7.50 an hour is not enough to explain why the steam is coming out the pig's ass to people paying way too much to eat there.

Question authority. Don't ask why, just do it.

If you use a pig, it's a luau by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #46 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 08:59:19 AM EST
Clams/shellfish, it's a clambake. Either way, it's perfect beach food.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

We just call it cooking in the fire. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #48 Thu Feb 19, 2009 at 08:59:22 AM EST
At least, where I'm from.  Anything from corn and potatoes to stuffed chops and steaks.  We're lighting a fire tonight to cook outdoors, as a matter of fact.

hey, man... by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 02:12:59 AM EST
Great to see you again. You come up in conversation from time to time, still.

Congrats on making 30, and on the live-in cook. Life is good.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

The live-in cook by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 11:57:38 PM EST
Somehow, despite all reasonable expectations, I somehow made thirty, and am coping with it.

As for the live-in cook, it's nice to have someone to blame the gut on. Despite all the beer, I still maintain all weight gain is her fault. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Wow by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 4) #3 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 02:13:30 AM EST
I had assumed you were dead, what with the near constant threat of user revolt.  Instead you're happy with your job, and found a woman to lower her standards.  Good job!

Please.... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:00:49 AM EST
User revolt... how quaint... Oderint dum metuant (Let them hate as long as they fear)
If the clue-by-four weren't enough, I now have a bit more power. Well, over the using classes. As for the other techs, I simply have the power to call them up at 4am Sunday morning and tell them to wake up because their shit's broken.
Life is fairly good.

BTW... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #40 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:38:11 AM EST
I somehow know you'd be happy to know that the GF does hold a Canadian passport. And with her, I have celebrated Candaian Thanksgiving.
Though somehow she didn't know who Don Cherry was. I maintain that bit of knowledge would get me past customs more than her passport.

What? by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #41 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 01:56:48 AM EST
Didn't know who Don Cherry...but...are you sure the passport is real?

wipo: Learn how to make polls multi-select... by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 02:28:38 AM EST
;-)

Welcome back.

I thought of you when I heard about this guy. Not that you'd do that get caught...

RE: Redhead, plspstpixkthx.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

IAWTP by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 03:38:20 AM EST
I tend to furiously masturbate at the video games they have in bars.

Not posting any particulars.... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:06:14 AM EST
...but let's just say I might have a bit more reach now. Granted, there are audit trails, but still....
As for the redhead and pix... I'll simply say this: She has her quirks. As in the best pic I have of her is from four years before we started dating, and even that one is her starting to say "Don't take my picture".

Gonna have to give me some time on the pic thing.

Question authority. Don't ask why, just do it.

the apocalypse is nigh! by clock (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 03:13:40 AM EST
nice of you to drop in.  hang out for a bit...it's good to catch up.  you been lurking this whole time or just lost the url?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Lurked occasionally... by Armaphine (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:08:22 AM EST
...But not often enough to keep up. Hopefully I can post more often, especially from work.

Hey by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 03:44:30 AM EST
Someone that's been neglecting a diary longer than I have (although I post an MLP once a year or so).  Welcome back.

Thank you... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:10:05 AM EST
Perhaps I might be able to contribute, although reddit and Digg have made MLPs somewhat redundant.
Still, nice to see the knights are still active.

Question authority. Don't ask why, just do it.

you're still alive! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 03:56:49 AM EST
this is good news!

it's all good news!

And you... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:11:37 AM EST
... are still alive and kicking as well!

Everyone still has a heartbeat! Yay!

And as long as you still have the root password, all is right with the world.

alas by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #45 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 03:02:51 AM EST
I gave up the root password.  All the root passwords.

After bearing clock a fine son, I have decided to just sit at home for the time being.

I did wear my AIX L shirt the other day, though!  I felt like a PFY again!

Mashed Potatoes by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 04:00:36 AM EST
Try it with olive oil instead of butter+milk some time. ;)

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
No thanks. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 04:22:30 AM EST
Olive oil has too strong a flavor for mashed potatoes. If you're going vegan better to use, say, veggie broth. Or just water.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Ugh by Phage (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 04:59:46 AM EST
But Olive oil could be very good if partnered with a strongly flavoured dish like a game pie.

Am def. not vegan by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 05:32:52 AM EST
But prefer olive-oil mash with stuff like grilled chicken or fish, and dairy mash with shepherd's pie or sausages.

Garlic by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 07:14:24 AM EST
You just need to add garlic until you can't taste the olive oil.

Then, add more garlic.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Actually... by Armaphine (4.00 / 1) #34 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:20:03 AM EST
... me and the GF went to Chicago and had horseradish mashed potatoes. Now, I love my garlic mashed potatoes, but it's defintely something you should try.

Don't ask me for ratios, since I'm not nearly ready to try to quantify what they did. All I know is they were damn good. So, you know, give it a shot.

Water. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 08:21:58 AM EST
Too much water is always the cause of bad mashed spuds.

You can make great mashed potatoes ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 03:42:59 PM EST
... with just potatoes and water.

The trick to boil them until they disintegrate.

Cicero, The Republic
Screw butter and milk... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:17:23 AM EST
I go for sour cream.
It makes it better the next day when you're nuking it.

ARMAPHINE!!!!! by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 04:53:15 AM EST
 Er, um. Yes. Dignified.

Hello. Lovely to see you around again.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Lovely to see you as well... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:24:55 AM EST
Reminds me that I still need to update the non-existant will I have to make sure you get my brain. I figure you'd be the only one to do something really sweet with it.

(P.S. If you can work a shark body in there, so much the better)
(P.P.S. With lasers)

Question authority. Don't ask why, just do it.

Sharks with lasers, FTW! by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #47 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 05:34:08 PM EST
Heh. The realtors came to look at our house in advance of getting it ready to  sell. Part of the decor in our kitchen is a set of shark jaws. They thought perhaps that might not be best displayed for showings.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

wow by webwench (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 05:16:34 AM EST
Blast from the past, eh? :)

Getting more attention than you since 1998 .

About... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:25:59 AM EST
... two and a half years, to be somewhat precise

That's like 18 by webwench (2.00 / 0) #42 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 02:07:26 AM EST
in internet years.

Getting more attention than you since 1998 .

Armie! by reellife (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 02:09:16 PM EST
I thought of you when we were visiting the Henry Ford... but I had no way to contact you on spur of the moment. Perhaps we can rectify that later this year and you can help us find the geeky hotspots.

Oh and nice to see you post finally...lurker! /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 03:02:50 PM EST

Work + school + kid by reellife (2.00 / 0) #44 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 02:38:59 AM EST
I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD

Funny... by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #38 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:29:03 AM EST
You've been on my IM list forever now, Ping me sometime (especially at night).
As for the Henry Ford... go in the summer to the village, since they have the glassblowers. Also, there's always the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum. Lil L33t would appreciate it. (Or at least I did back in the day). Now, I have my buddy's kids I plan on taking out there this summer.

Hrm... by reellife (2.00 / 0) #43 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 02:36:17 AM EST
You are on mine too, but it says "Last seen 3 years ago" .  Perhaps it is an old contact?

Yeah, we plan oncoming up again sometime. One day is not really enough for the museum and the village. We also plan on taking the factory tour next time too.

Lil L33t isn't quite so lil anymore. He's a tween now. And if I don't kill him first, he might become a teen next year.

Nice to see you again! /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 03:02:21 PM EST

Good to see you as well! by Armaphine (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:29:56 AM EST
/nt