Print Story Saturday was WPKAW's mother's 61st birthday
Family
By Dr H0ffm4n (Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 02:40:26 AM EST) (all tags)
The family have gone away for a long weekend. She rang WPKAW's voicemail in the morning just to listen to WPKAW's voice.

My weekend was not all bad though.

Poll: Do you know how WWI started?

I've kept WPKAW's mobile and taken over her contract on a pay-as-you-go basis to field calls from people who may not have been aware that she died.

I tried ringing Mother of WPKAW (MoWPKAW) but couldn't get through and left a message. The midgets phoned her too from Cornwall where they're spending the half-term break with MoM. At least she'll be coming home to a brand new bedroom and renovated bathroom. Like that makes up for the pain she feels in any way.

This time last year, WPKAW had fallen out with, and wasn't talking to MoWPKAW. WPKAW didn't even send her a card for what was her 60th birthday. They hadn't patched things up before WPKAW's death in June.

It was WPKAW's eldest brother's birthday yesterday. I sent him a text as I'd already seen him and given him a present on Thursday.

I tried phoning PlannerWoman re phase one of the house renovations that are taking place this weekend, but again had to leave a message. Am hoping it will all be completed before they return tomorrow.

Saturday evening I went to see Rigoletto at the Royal Opera House with AXA. I'm not a regular opera goer having seen only one before. My income wouldn't stretch to it becoming a regular thing either. But it's a spectacle and an event. The story is a little dated but I'm not a fan of bringing such works into the modern era.

AXA was on her absolute best behaviour and was an utterly enchanting hostess. We rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous, some of whom greeted AXA as she's a regular at the ROH. AXA is wealthy enough for the ROH to be a regular thing for her. She'd spent the afternoon itself watching rehearsals. She would not let me pay for my ticket (£195!!?!), but acquiesced and allowed me to pay for dinner and champagne (poo as she calls it). My turn to pay for the tickets for this coming Saturday which is ENO's La Boheme at the Coliseum.

WPKAW's mother actually professionally played a lead in this opera in the 1960s or 1970s. Since then she has been known by he character's name instead of her own.

Throughout the evening I was aware for the first time of talking about we in reference to WPKAW and myself. It was all "we did XX" or "when we were at YYY". Inevitable that a lot of the experiences I relate are about WPKAW and myself. There's part of me that gets guilty, critical for even noticing, as if to say spitefully to myself, "It's not we any more though, is it?".

AXA and I managed to remain sober and departed in opposite directions shortly after the opera finished. She with her personal driver and myself in a normally hailed black cab.

Tonight I'm having dinner with Elder Sister of Dancer Ex (ESoDX) somewhere near here (Docklands).

It's struck me that a lot of my friends are single, childless women in their 40s. It's not something I've deliberately cultivated. If asked, I would not previously have though that they were actually that common. If anyone can find a stat for what proportion of women in the UK get to 40 without having kids, I'd be interested.

< Yo! | Attention Bostonia! >
Saturday was WPKAW's mother's 61st birthday | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WW1 by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 02:42:19 AM EST
Your poll is a trick question. WW1 started vaguely. My default school essay on this took at least 35 mins to write and covered 5 A4 sides of handwritingt.

IAWTP by Phage (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 02:52:40 AM EST
The whole Arch-Duke Ferdinand assassination was merely the final destabilisaing straw.
I blame the parents.

How did the football match start? by Imperial Mince (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:02:17 AM EST
The whole ref blowing the whistle was merely the final destabilisaing[sp] straw.

This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
yay simple metaphors by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:26:05 AM EST
First, all the teams involved know they are there to play football and what the whistle should mean. There was some wibbling around after the assasination before it was decided what the reaction would be and even then, the same action in other circumstances might have stayed a local issue. So you could say you had a pile of guys on the field wondering why they were wearing these funny shoes with studs on their feet, when a few others probably intended just to play boules.

Your challenge, should you wish to continue the thread is to add another 2 sports to the metaphor.

Does the IOC recognise competetive cross dresssing by Imperial Mince (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 04:02:04 AM EST
Simple metaphors are for simple questions. The question was do you know how, not why. The earliest point that matters in the how is the assination, or we could just say it started when Germany declared war on Russia and then France and then trampled through Belgium. The fact that the Prince of Wales First XI thought they were being invited to a sunday brunch, and the other side thought they were going to Henley Regatta doesn't matter in the least. Some guy blew his whistle and they proceeded to try and kick seven shades of shit out of each other.

This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
Spellchecking is for wimps [nt] by Phage (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:41:06 AM EST

I wasn't going to look up how to spell that by Imperial Mince (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 04:02:39 AM EST
So I just copied and pasted.

This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
vaguely IS one of teh options... by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 02:57:48 AM EST
;)

WW1 seems to have started by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:12:17 AM EST
Because the combatants all thought it would be a short war (ie: over by xmas) and/or it was gigantic feat of brinkmanship and each underestimated the staying power of the others.

Yes by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:22:22 AM EST
Plus stuff like Bismarck being given the heave-ho by the Kaiser who didn't quite understand/respect how the balance worked.

Other causes by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:32:19 AM EST
  • German fear of increasing Russian strength
  • French antipathy towards Germany due to the loss of Alsace-Lorraine
  • British fears stoked by the growth in the German Imperial Navy, increasing German economic competition and the tradition of opposing any European hegemon
  • The fragility of Austria-Hungary
  • Blalkans being a tinderbox, caught between two declining Empires, the Ottoman and Austria-Hungary
Much more complex than the causes of WW2.

I know it was something to do by Herring (4.00 / 4) #12 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 04:18:54 AM EST
with Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Funny you should say that by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:34:06 AM EST
That was what prompted the poll.

A friend told me they are going to see Franz Ferdinand. I said that I'd been helping Major Midget write an essay on the causes of WWI. She said it was something to do with Austria or something wasn't it? Yes, I said, thinking she was winding me up and going along with it, sparked by the assassination of the heir to the throne, the Archduke Franz Ferdinand. She buried her face in her hands in embarrassment.

Endearing, I thought. Simply charming. Like the women in this.

Roman Empire by marvin (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:13:16 AM EST
If they hadn't expanded into the Balkan peninsula, none of this would have happened.

SInking of the Lusitania by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #15 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:40:29 AM EST
just like WWII started with Pearl Harbor.

Surely the Zimmerman telegram? by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:47:41 AM EST
Yeah, real WW1 lasted just 18 months March 1917- November 1918. General Pershing and the Doughboys won it singlehandedly.

Opera by johnny (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 06:41:22 AM EST
I've been to two of them in my 56 years: Rigoletto 1994 or so at San Jose Opera, and Doctor Atomic in 2005 at San Francisco opera.

Enjoyed them very much. Cannot afford more, although recently they've started showing live simulcasts from various opera houses around the world at the local movie theater on 1 Sunday each month.

Dear Wife's practice husband had a family that was well-to-do & very engaged with the opera. With them she saw operas in Milan and London and Paris. With me, for the last 28 years, we've been scraping by. We can barely afford movies, usually opting for "bargain night" no matter what's playing.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll take my wife to the Met in NYC.
Buy my books, dammit!

WIPO by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 12:29:34 PM EST

Violently.

DFJ?
enossification by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:48:47 PM EST
ENO's La Boheme

I got all excited for a moment, thinking it was a Brian Eno production of La Boheme, which would be worth seeing.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

sorry No by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 04:13:51 PM EST
English National Opera.

Admit it. Brian Eno would ruin it. Now.

Then, maybe, But now? It would be horrible.

PS I am drunk.