Print Story As always: data inconclusive.
Food
By gzt (Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 06:41:42 AM EST) gzt, report, wings night (all tags)
I finished watching the original Battlestar Galactica this weekend. My favorite bit is when they ran into other civilizations and made references to centons and the people from other civilizations said, "What is a centon?!"

As always: data inconclusive. Now I need to find a way to present this stuff so they see that, okay, there's some interesting stuff but there really isn't anything that's solid enough to take action over, but all my major questions are answered and we have something to start a discussion.

Your pretty face is going to hell.

I had people over from (mostly) church last night to watch Firefly, eat pizza, and play games. I played Mare Nostrum, some others played Settlers of Catan. A good time was had by all. It was the first time at Mare Nostrum for me - I was Babylon. It was the first time for Egypt, too. I got a couple guys onto the cities in Egypt fairly early to leach the taxes and Egypt ignored Carthage completely to try to kick me out. Rome ignored Carthage to fight Greece. I was mostly thinking like it was like Risk rather than a "buying stuff to get victory" game. Carthage won because nobody paid attention. At least I took Constantinople. That was fun. I would not mind playing it again.

But that reminds me: it's been a while since I've played a Risk-like game. Risk itself isn't that great without some modification because of the absurd amount of armies you can acquire by the end of the game, but it's fairly fun. Anyway.

Mens sana qui mal y pense. I ran into that line in Auden. Cute. I've been reading a little Auden. I'm almost done with The Tempest, after which I will read Auden's The Sea and the Mirror. The shameful thing is that The Little Mermaid has ruined me: I can't think of Ariel without first thinking of some craptastic animated mermaid. It's not as bad as thinking of a ridiculous turtle every time I look at certain pieces of renaissance art.

I'm reading Auden, I guess, because of some girl. Well, I've meant to read Auden for quite a long time, I've read a bit before and enjoyed him and anybody who's anybody has been recommending him for ages, but this put me over the edge. I'm also quoting random snippets of Eliot: Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky... I use that almost every time I'm about to go somewhere with just one other person. I don't continue, usually, because I forget the exact phrasing in the moment and it rarely seems appropriate to bring up an etherized patient.

So I read Simon of Space. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it more than working.

I have to go to the gym, get my homework done, and go to Wings Night tonight. I think I will have time for all of those. Or not. If I'm home at 6, I can probably be back from the gym etc by 8:30. Wings Night tentatively scheduled for 9. I don't forecast being productive after Wings. Then again, the HW is already done, it just needs typing.

I need to finish this report. So, off I go.

Oh! I think my tactical clothes will arrive today. I had them sent to my house. Woo.

< Wore out the wrong one | Ask Husi: Greatest Works of Nonfiction >
As always: data inconclusive. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Risk like game by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 06:53:08 AM EST
Lux! Sillysoft! Google it!

Well, I mean on a literal board by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 07:00:24 AM EST
I'm after the social dimension. Chess more than satisfies my purely strategic urges. I'm after a Risk-like game that is slightly better than Risk that can be played on a board game night with mixed company (mixed, as in, hard core strategists and people who just don't play games much).

So basically by debacle (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 07:01:30 AM EST
You want to play Risk.

Yeah, essentially. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 07:12:15 AM EST
I want to play Risk, but I want it to be a little better than Risk because there are a couple things that annoy me about Risk.

Those rules they have by debacle (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 07:51:19 AM EST
Are not set in stone. Also, they make variant Risk boards. The LOTR board was really well done. The pieces are shit and the whole "mission card" thing is a little on the homo side, but the layout of the board is pretty good.

You could always play Zombies or some other variant, as well.

we always made our own by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 02:06:46 PM EST
we had a fairly good two person game in which each person put down armies where they wanted them, THEN drew 5 mission cards and you had to get all of yours before the other guy got all his. it was fun trying to both get what you needed, and stop the other guy from getting his.

---------
Zombies by garlic (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 01:20:11 PM EST
sounds like what the doctor ordered. A similar easy mechanic (roll dice to kill monsters) but you aren't directly fighting the other players, you're fighting the zombies (that they all happen to control). It doesn't get some of the map control that RISK gets though.

I play with gamers by debacle (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 06:40:25 PM EST
So we had no problem taking the Risk rules and turning them inside out.

Risk Revised Edition is supposed to be good by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 07:00:02 AM EST
if you read the boardgamegeek reviews, though I think Viktory II surpasses anything Risk could do.

viktory ii, eh? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 07:11:38 AM EST
Is that from personal experience, or from reading reviews? Based on the description on the guy's website, it sounds like the sort of thing I'm after, but I'd like to hear about the gameplay.

Personal, I bought it last year by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 07:23:54 AM EST
it's a combination of an exploring, civilization game moving onto a conquer all your neighbors game.

You start out with one town, and a mostly unexplored board (that is randomly built every game). You explore to turn over tiles, found a town or grow a town into a city, and attack other people.

how long by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 01:21:15 PM EST
does viktory 2 take to play? Got a BGG link?

linkage by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 02:23:05 PM EST

I couldn't comment on game length, though. site seems to indicate ~2 hrs.

awesome. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 06:47:30 PM EST
awesome, awesome, awesome.

eh, what the hell. I bought it. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 11:32:50 AM EST
I was so indecisive about parkas and boots that I thought this might cheer me up more.

Parkas and boots wear out by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 12:11:58 PM EST
but a good game lasts forever.

As always: data inconclusive. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback