Print Story Best soup evar last night.
By toxicfur (Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:03:08 AM EST) (all tags)
Well, not evar. Best soup that I've ever made, probably. Surprisingly delicious.

This is my attempt at adding something to the diary page, without actually talking about anything important. Suffice to say, Wii is excellent; staying away from the computer more is better; +1 for reading more; yay Joss Whedon on tv; work is work, though it's not bad at the moment.

The Whole Foods (arguably) closest to our house has begun a "Saturday brunch" thing, where they have sample tables set up around the store, with people cooking stuff. Invariably, my favorite is at the cheese department, where we once had the most delicious grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had, with a raw milk (though aged) cheese and fresh peach slices, then fried in butter. I once burned my tongue on scallops wrapped in bacon at the fish department.

This new event actually makes shopping somewhat less unpleasant, and they've at least recouped some of their losses from us buying the stuff they're making available. Like this soup.

Elizabeth, the coordinator of sampling tables or some such thing (I can't remember exactly what her embroidered jacket said), had a table last week with a pot of soup on it. The recipe was, she said, from one of her favorite restaurants in London, and when she left there, she went to Cranks and got some of the recipes. The soup in the store was excellent, though it needed a little more salt and ... something, but I got a copy of the recipe from Elizabeth. So I bought a bunch of vegetables and decided to give it a try.

As the sheet says, this soup is very open to interpretation. Substitute vegetables and seasoning; add a dollop of creme fraiche at the end or a bit of sharp grated cheese. Or, do as I did, and fry some chicken sausage in olive oil in the pan I made the soup, set it aside, and stir it back in at the end. After removing the sausage, deglaze the pan with sherry before adding the raw vegetables and other liquids.

INGREDIENTS - Serves 6 (or more, really)
4-5 medium carrots
1 large onion, quartered
1 bulb fennel, trimmed and quartered
4 oz mushrooms, quartered (I used white button mushrooms, but something with a stronger flavor would've been good here)
3 leeks, trimmed and chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 small cauliflower, separated into florets
2 litres/ 4 pints water
1 Tbsp bouillion powder
Bunch of basil (I didn't have any fresh basil, so I used fresh thyme, and added some dried tarragon)
1 whole head of garlic, peeled
2 fl. oz. olive oil or 1 oz butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper

METHOD
Place all the chopped ingredients, the water, bouillion powder, basil, garlic cloves, and seasonings into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until ingredients are knife tender (about 20-30 minutes). Then cool slightly and blend until smooth. Stir in the olive oil or butter. (Stir in sausage if using). Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve, passing creme fraiche and cheese separately..
< Attention Bostonia! | Wore out the wrong one >
Best soup evar last night. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My nick is ana by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:07:02 AM EST
and I approve this diary.

Seriously yummy stuff. Could easily be done in a vegetarian manner.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

raw milk (though aged) by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:22:14 AM EST
IIRC, US law requires raw milk cheeses to be aged at least 60 days.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's true... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:32:05 AM EST
In MissTrish's diary, there was discussion of "illegal" raw milk cheeses from Quebec, they don't have to be aged. I had that in mind when I pointed out that this was an aged cheese.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
Joss Whedon! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 09:10:07 AM EST
I liked what I saw, I can't wait for more!

Me, too! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 02:46:32 PM EST
I *definitely* think this show has potential. It's been a long time since I've been really excited about an upcoming tv show.

me three by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 05:02:07 PM EST
although I am finding it hard that he actually has a 5 year plot arc written.
it seems that actives would go insane well before 5 years.

Click
he came up with the show by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 03:52:14 AM EST
in the bathroom while having lunch with Elisa Dushku - ANYTHING is possible!

In the bathroom. . . by BaconAndWaffles (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 04:29:28 AM EST
Your comment screams for a joke about spending time in the bathroom thinking about Eliza Dushku, but I can't quite come up with something witty enough.

That said, I am a huge Whedon fan.  I enjoyed Dollhouse, but I don't think Eliza has the chops to pull off the the role.  Of course that won't stop me from watching it. . .

I thought he by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 04:23:04 PM EST
borrowed the wiping idea from Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.

Click